PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Lovie Smith hired as Texans HC

Read this morning....

Hes smooth.

I didn't see that previously, but it basically confirms what I thought was happening.

It's a shame Easterby and Alex Guerrero never got the opportunity to open a Holy Concussion Water business together though.

I would think that in light of the current atmosphere Smith can pretty much blow off any attempted front office interference without much risk of retaliation.
I'd suggest you read up on Jack Easterby.

He'd get ****canned for cause, and there would be no way to reasonably defend Smith at that point.
Yeah, they could get away with it, but he'd argue unwarranted interference and then there would be a **** show. Would need lots of popcorn for that.

I would feel out Watson before taking it.

The Texans are a mess and it would be a shame for him to fall into that trap then get run out of town as a scapegoat.

Loving the beard.
Houston has many problems

I sat two rows behind Lovie at the second Pats-NYG Super Bowl.

Great seats. Awful night.
always the braggart...first it was your forays into the culinary markets and vendors of the C.C.P. from Shang-hai to Guang-dong,Hunan to Sichuan...yeah Mr. "I Ate Fish EyeSoup" and "Spicy Duck Heads" I have known...now a frolic down memory lane revealing your "big-shottedness"...did Lovie buy you a Tsingtao? you are overbearing...:mad:

Did anyone else read this and say, "Why?" There's no one better out there? Really?

Did anyone else read this and say, "Why?" There's no one better out there? Really?
What if they didn’t want the job? What if they went to the interview knowing that but using it as a backup?

What if Lovies thinking it sucks but it’sa hc job? I’ll take them to above .500 and try not to get canned then leapfrog to something better for my career?

What if they didn’t want the job? What if they went to the interview knowing that but using it as a backup?

What if Lovies thinking it sucks but it’sa hc job? I’ll take them to above .500 and try not to get canned then leapfrog to something better for my career?
I can't believe there isn't some young assistant coach out there who would want the job, and a crack at a top 32 job. I don't get the NFL re-tread market for guys who have never done anything.

Retread jag coach

Attachments

• 9k=.jpg
    9k=.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
Welp chalk it up as another franchise that shouldn’t be of any concern to the better teams in the AFC for the foreseeable future.

As I said the first time around, there is a re-tread culture in the NFL - it's somehow easier to give the job to a mediocre guy who washed out elsewhere than to take a chance on a new guy. It never works, so I'm not sure why it's done, but done it is, over and over.
I wouldn't say never. Just in the last decade, as far as previously mediocre retreads who ended up winning the SB, we've got Carroll, Belichick, Kubiak, Coughlin, and debatable for bad playoff records - Reid and Arians. The only new guys were Harbawl and Pederson.

Edit: Interesting... if we're talking about previous SB winning coaches who'd had 2 coaching stints prior (like Lovie), the list is basically Carroll since the merger, and that barely counts as his 1st year coaching was with the Jets (fired after a year) then moved to the Pats a few years later.

Last edited:
I can't believe there isn't some young assistant coach out there who would want the job, and a crack at a top 32 job. I don't get the NFL re-tread market for guys who have never done anything.
He took a team to a SB. I don’t think that’s never doing anything.

always the braggart...first it was your forays into the culinary markets and vendors of the C.C.P. from Shang-hai to Guang-dong,Hunan to Sichuan...yeah Mr. "I Ate Fish EyeSoup" and "Spicy Duck Heads" I have known...now a frolic down memory lane revealing your "big-shottedness"...did Lovie buy you a Tsingtao? you are overbearing...:mad:
He did in fact buy me a beer and we sat down for a nice Peking duck after the game. We have become lifelong friends and are boycotting the Olympics in unison.

I even convinced him to grow a Hasidic beard.

He did in fact buy me a beer and we sat down for a nice Peking duck after the game. We have become lifelong friends and are boycotting the Olympics in unison.

I even convinced him to grow a Hasidic beard.

Lovie_Smith-e1590661747164.jpg

I would wish Lovie Smith the best of luck , he will need it working with that Houston set up.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back