OT: Kyle Shannahan thought Chris Long drawn holding call in SB 51 was BS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Listened to this interview yesterday and thought I had mid remembered this play (he wasn’t a **** about it in the interview, he was just asked some questions about the game). He re-watched the game and thought this isn’t a hold? What?

In fairness, I've seen numerous choke-holds on pass rushers over the past few years that went unflagged, so I can see why Kyle might be confused.
Sure, but if you do it right in FRONT of the QB that's getting called like 90% of the time lol.

Give the man a break. His brain is clearly suffering from the biggest chock of all sports.
Defense mechanism. He clearly has a psychological block against recognizing anything that resembles a "choke." We all do what we can do to cope with our life failures.

saltbae_salt1a.jpg

Sure, but if you do it right in FRONT of the QB that's getting called like 90% of the time lol.

1) It was sarcasm.
... and ...
B) You might wanna ask Nink about a game in Denver a few years back. I think he still may have some bruises.

The guy should of used lighter colored tape

ShEli was never quite In The Grasp, but there were Multiple Illegal holds happening All Over the line on that play.

I would agree with that assessment. Sure, he was literally in Seymour's grasp, but the intent (and practice) of the rule is to blow a play dead when a QB is not officially 'down' but it's obvious that he's not going anywhere.

With Seymour only loosely having a hand on him I consider the play still very much alive. If others can find examples of QBs called IN THE GRASP for similar situations then I'll re-consider my position, but I think it's generally understood that the practice of that call is to blow a play dead when it's blatantly obvious the QB isn't going anywhere (which is not the case here).

Now I'm going down a dark memory road here, but something else to consider for SB 42.

Sometimes you can point to a play (like the Tyree one) that just breaks a team's spirt and the team implodes from there (think tuck rule, Raiders had no chance after that), but to the Patriots' credit the Giants facing a 3rd and 12 situation later in the drive. If they make two plays there we're still champs and people would only talk about the Tyree catch as a footnote like the Jevon Kearse catch.

Don't mind not calling it in the grasp. But the holds? I hate the "let the players decide the game, not the refs" line because on that Tyree play, the refs literally let the Giants get away with several egregious holds. At one point one of the Giants OL was yanking back on the jersey of the Patriot who had beaten him...looked like he was playing tug of war.

So by suddenly NOT throwing flags on actual penalties, the refs helped decide the outcome.

Just call the game as it's supposed to be called. I'm fine with ticky tack calls being let go but man oh man not the Tyree play and not the Long play.

Don't mind not calling it in the grasp. But the holds? I hate the "let the players decide the game, not the refs" line because on that Tyree play, the refs literally let the Giants get away with several egregious holds. At one point one of the Giants OL was yanking back on the jersey of the Patriot who had beaten him...looked like he was playing tug of war.

So by suddenly NOT throwing flags on actual penalties, the refs helped decide the outcome.

Just call the game as it's supposed to be called. I'm fine with ticky tack calls being let go but man oh man not the Tyree play and not the Long play.

Just watched this video and couldn't agree more....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye