PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Long downplayed his "tiny part" of SB win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Watched the postgame again from LI. Great moment where Chris Long sits down with his father Howie Long...seems like a great family, and you can just tell how proud Howie is of his son. Chris seems like an unbeilievaly humble guy, too, being a top-2 draft pick but always seems really grounded. He didn't even bring up that he took a big paycut to play for a championship, but in talking about his love for this team and what they overcame, he was very emotional.

Chris emphasized that he was just another guy, willing to do whatever he was asked, whether it was just a few snaps or to sacrifice stats for the overall team's scheme. As fans, we have admired this all year.

Then he talked about being such a small part of the game, praising Brady and Belichick and implying he was just a bit "tiny" part. While he didn't play a huge role, he made arguably the biggest play of the game that has been overlooked.

On second and 11 after the Julio Jones acrocatch, Trey Flowers made a huge sack, knocking Atlanta back 12 yards to the 35. What is missed in all this is that Matt Bryant is one of the league's best kickers, kicking indoors he was 18/19. From 50+ yards he was 3/4. In other words, Flowers sack was big but Bryant still likely daggers them.

On third down, the pass to Sanu got the Falcons to the 26 (43 yard field goal.). Bryant was 9/9 this year from 40-49 yards. He was 56/57 on extra points, which are only 9 yards shorter. This is a chip shot.

Long's forced holding penalty on Matthews was a 19 yard net loss, pushing the field goal from 42 to 61 yards. IMO, it also rattled the Falcons, who called a poor play on the next one, an incomplete pass when even an 8-10 yard gain would have again given Bryant a good chance for the dagger field goal.

There were a lot of huge plays by many players on the team to pull this out. Chris Long's holding penalty is certainly one of the biggest.

Long's forced holding penalty on Matthews was a 19 yard net loss, pushing the field goal from 42 to 61 yards. IMO, it also rattled the Falcons, who called a poor play on the next one, an incomplete pass when even an 8-10 yard gain would have again given Bryant a good chance for the dagger field goal.

There were a lot of huge plays by many players on the team to pull this out. Chris Long's holding penalty is certainly one of the biggest.
Yes, HUGE play by Long. He essentially was tackled on that play. Had he not been flagrantly held he would've sacked Ryan.

A really good player and an even better person. Hard worker and a critical thinker -- a player you'll have a hard time saying 'no' to having on your team. Very proud of Long and his family, who are local to Charlottesville (my home town).

A really good player and an even better person. Hard worker and a critical thinker -- a player you'll have a hard time saying 'no' to having on your team. Very proud of Long and his family, who are local to Charlottesville (my home town).

Howie Long = Charlestown = MA = Boston = my home town, *****. Maybe they moved, but still.

Last edited:
Yes, HUGE play by Long. He essentially was tackled on that play. Had he not been flagrantly held he would've sacked Ryan.

Another reason why measuring productivity for de solely by sacks is stupid ( or at least 1-dimensional). Good OL will give up the penalty (10 yds, but no loss of down) in normal situations rather than a sack (loss of 5-8+, and loss of down) and if they are lucky (Gints SB) the refs will let it go.

Howie Long = Charlestown = MA = Boston = my home town, *****. Maybe they moved, but still.

Unwarranted abuse of the "=" but I still thought it was funny.

Not to mention, he was right in there on the Hightower strip sack. If Hightower doesn't make the play, Long would have been there for the sack (FF I doubt though)

I said this in another thread but I'll reiterate. Chris Long has a spot on this team. He might not be a full time player, but as a situational pass rusher I found him to be very productive.

We should still draft an EDGE guy, but for the price he'd take I'd love Long here.

Well, hate to burst your bubble my friend, but technically Howie Long was born in Somerville, my hometown ( well Somerville/East Cambridge) and he played his HS ball in Milford. So Charlestown can't really claim him LMAO.

But jokes aside I'm a big Howie Long fan. Always have been. He's always come off as an articulate, knowledgeable analyst, and he's always been pro Patriots, even more so this past season with Chris on the team.

Whether it IS Chris Long or another : this is the type of player BB likes to bring in. They've made their $. They've been to pro bowls. But, as the skills start to diminish - they don't have a ring. But they DO have a role.

Can't wait to see who they bring in for 2017.

Huge play, was happy to have him on the team this year. Good guy, too.

Having said that, I doubt he's back.

Huge play, was happy to have him on the team this year. Good guy, too.

Having said that, I doubt he's back.

I don't think he really raised his value much past 4M/year, and I bet he would take similar money to last year to stay here. He's just not that great of a player anymore but he carved out a role here. If the Patriots want him back, they'll make it happen.

Well, hate to burst your bubble my friend, but technically Howie Long was born in Somerville, my hometown ( well Somerville/East Cambridge) and he played his HS ball in Milford. So Charlestown can't really claim him LMAO.

But jokes aside I'm a big Howie Long fan. Always have been. He's always come off as an articulate, knowledgeable analyst, and he's always been pro Patriots, even more so this past season with Chris on the team.
Milford? I think they're a D4 team. Howie must have hurt some kids back then.

They play teams like Norton, Medfield & Bellingham. I watched that league for 4 years recently. When a team has a D1 college recruit, they dominate to the point it looks unfair

In that end of game interview he looks like he just came out of a coal mine!

Sorry to say this in the New England Patriots board, but there's a reason that the Longs live in Charlottesville, despite all the eastern Mass roots. I've spent plenty of time in both places. If you had, as well, you'd make the choice they have.

I know, I know, if this was a bar, I'd have to leave to keep from getting my *** kicked.

Sorry to say this in the New England Patriots board, but there's a reason that the Longs live in Charlottesville, despite all the eastern Mass roots. I've spent plenty of time in both places. If you had, as well, you'd make the choice they have.

I know, I know, if this was a bar, I'd have to leave to keep from getting my *** kicked.

Well I don't think it's any secret Howie Long had a tough upbringing growing up in Charlestown. He was always kinda considered the local guy that got away...

With that said, Charlestown, and the rest of the Greater Boston area as cleaned up and changed dramatically since that time.

Gotta hold onto this guy , cant imagine it will cost much.

I think he also had a sack or drew a hold late in the az game that pretty much saved that one too. 2 games at least we probably dont win without him

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes