PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT kind of : Goodell has done irreparable harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Buffalo. I just tell them they are crybabies & whiners trying to make excuses for their own team's ineptitude. It works. They get angry. Only one of them admits it's all a bunch of hooey, but he's also the one that likes to throw in jibes whenever he can. He gets away with it. The others actually believe it, but they've been conditioned to do it by the Buffalo news media.

Coworker asked me if I support the Patriots and deflategate. I said "Ya, I deflate the balls..."

That was the end of the conversation. Quickly :)

Coworker asked me if I support the Patriots and deflategate. I said "Ya, I deflate the balls..."

That was the end of the conversation. Quickly :)
So you’re the Dorito Dink?

So I’ve been to two different get together last 2 weeks (I live in NJ) and whenever football comes up and they find out I’m a Pat fan - instead of discussing football and where Brady will go next - it’s all about cheating, how we are such a low class organization for so many cheating scandals, why don’t we stop, why do we like video taping opponents, etc and how Brady will be remembered with the likes of Mcgwire, Sosa, Lance Armstrong. I put up fact based arguments and become quite passionate in my defense and they have no response to that but keep on saying - Pats were caught and punished multiple times for cheating. And they totally believe themselves and wonder why I support such a cheating organization. I’m so sick of it. When I tell them that I tell my kids to have Brady as a role model - they truly can’t believe it and question why I would do that. So sick of all this crap. With all the joy of winning - comes all this nonsense thanks to Roger Friggin Goodell. I’m just left defending defending defending. It gets so tiring. Wish there was a quick and easy way to shut their arguments. Getting sick of this. Brady doesn’t deserve this. He is an all time legend - bigger than Jordan, Gretzky, Ruth....but all non Pat fans and even neutrals who don’t even like football equate Brady/Pats with cheating. I would trade 2 SB wins for this unfair label of cheating.
you should live in St. Louis. They are still pissed we beat the Greatest Show on Turf and hate all things Brady and BB. Love to rant about cheating...then defend Mark McGuire and LaRussa over steroids. They all walk around with a hard on because the Blues beat the Bruins for the cup. Its such a pansy ass city with loser sports media.

just wait until someone kidnaps Goodell after he retires, takes him to an abandoned warehouse and goes to work on him with a blowtorch and a pair of vise grips....:mad:

To the OP just embrace the hate. It’s way more fun. BTW I would do spy gate 4 times over if it meant another SB with Brady.

Try to ignore it. I have learned to do that. Sometimes I will try to explain science in the most condescending way possible to them. "Look I realize that (insert local city here) public schools are underfunded so you didn't learn science, so let me tell you about the ideal gas law."

That usually shuts them up. The key is not to get worked up. That's all they want to do. If they are raising your blood pressure, then they are winning. Don't let them. It's amazing how ignoring trolling texts from my old friends in Philly works. They go away.

Have anyone to to yourteamcheats.com, select their team, and then have them soak in the hypocrasy. If they want to go in denial then play the villain. Say yeah the Patriots cheat all the time! There's a whole lot more cheating they are doing and haven't been caught yet because the rest of the league is so stupid. State that all the Pats records and Super Bowl trophies are still recognized by the league and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it and laugh at them. Reverse troll them. Watch their heads explode.

I hope these worthless loser fans of other teams BRING THAT SAME DAMN ENERGY next season as they watch the Patriots march back to and win the Superbowl next year. **** the 31 and their **** fanbases, a pox on all of them.

This is a larger symptom of our country IMO and probably the world at large.

I'm pretty logic-inclined and have always believed you can have an argument on its own merits and whoever has the superior reasoning wins the argument.

The past few years, maybe even starting right around the whole Deflategate scandal, I don't think that's the case anymore. People choose which side of the argument they want to be on based on what group they belong to, and then they disagree with the other group regardless of how good a point that group has. Any evidence that goes against their side is disregarded irrationally.

This happens in sports, where tribal alliance is easily defined since it's just your own team (but it's usually easier to have a discussion about some things because wins and losses usually provide a hard cutoff about whose side is 'better' in a given year). Of course in politics, reason has completely gone out the window, and God help you if you try to have any discussion on its own merit when you're arguing with the other side.

Combine that with the fact that people are easily distracted, can't focus on one thing for very long, have trouble with nuance and shades of gray, and in many cases are just really ****ing stupid, spike it with conspiracy theories, social media, and tiny screens in our pocket, and you get situations in the OP where no matter what you tell them about how the Patriots 'scandals' were either due to the laws of physics, were fabricated, or were technical violations that contributed nothing to their success, they still won't come over to your side because the sense of wanting to belong to their own group outweighs their sense of reason.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to believe that if either of the Patriots "scandals" occurred in the mid-90s or earlier, we'd still hear the some the same outrage we heard in 2007 and 2015. I think, though, there would be some elements in the local and nation media that would have pushed back and shamed the accusers for making excuses: "You never changed your signals and now you're crying because someone figured them out? That's on you." "Grigson, Pagano and Luck lost by 38 points and they want to blame deflated footballs? They should take up a sport more their speed, like knitting."

Someone would have pointed out how what a terrible example it was to hear the leadership from the Eagles and Panthers, who had years to raise concerns but never did, decide in 2008 that they had been cheated in the Super Bowl, without any proof at all. "Hear that, kids? If you lose a spelling bee, only get the second highest grade on a math test, come up short in a race in gym class, just follow Marty Hurney and Jeff Lurie's lead and accuse the winner of cheating. It doesn't matter if there's no evidence, the important thing if you have an excuse why you lost, which means you really didn't lose."

None of that happened, of course. It was all a race to see who could be more outraged. Look at the fallout from last year's AFC championship game. One of the main themes was changing the rules and talk of a lack of fairness all because people weren't happy with the outcome.

In the big picture, I understand that people will always get tired of a winner and root for them to fall. I've enjoyed the Yankees, Duke basketball, and Notre Dame football all losing because they were on top for an extended period and I wanted to see someone knock them off. The difference with the Patriots is that the NCAA or MLB never singled Duke or the Yankees out for excessive punishments to try and derail their success. In fact, the NCAA usually does the opposite and tries to minimize an infraction by one of the big name, blue blood schools. Earlier in thread, someone mentioned the Broncos taping a team's walkthrough. No one remembers that incident because the league didn't make a big deal out of it and Denver only received a minimal punishment. Compare that to the Patriots-adjacent film crew in Cleveland. Three months later and it's still being investigated. If that was the Jaguars, it never would have made the news.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll never understand why the NFL seemingly wants the narrative out there that the most successful run in the history of their sport was due to cheating. Maybe they look at the league's success and their revenue growth and think that negative attention is attention and it's all good. I wonder if they've considered that they could have enjoyed the same success or more if they didn't play up or, in the case of deflategate, invent these controversies.

Punch them in the face and get out of there before the cops show up.

Well said and great points.

Regarding the Broncos video taping - I’m kind of ok it not being brought up that much because coach was McDaniels and the guy who taped was Steve Scarneccia - both former Pats employees.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to believe that if either of the Patriots "scandals" occurred in the mid-90s or earlier, we'd still hear the some the same outrage we heard in 2007 and 2015. I think, though, there would be some elements in the local and nation media that would have pushed back and shamed the accusers for making excuses: "You never changed your signals and now you're crying because someone figured them out? That's on you." "Grigson, Pagano and Luck lost by 38 points and they want to blame deflated footballs? They should take up a sport more their speed, like knitting."

Someone would have pointed out how what a terrible example it was to hear the leadership from the Eagles and Panthers, who had years to raise concerns but never did, decide in 2008 that they had been cheated in the Super Bowl, without any proof at all. "Hear that, kids? If you lose a spelling bee, only get the second highest grade on a math test, come up short in a race in gym class, just follow Marty Hurney and Jeff Lurie's lead and accuse the winner of cheating. It doesn't matter if there's no evidence, the important thing if you have an excuse why you lost, which means you really didn't lose."

None of that happened, of course. It was all a race to see who could be more outraged. Look at the fallout from last year's AFC championship game. One of the main themes was changing the rules and talk of a lack of fairness all because people weren't happy with the outcome.

In the big picture, I understand that people will always get tired of a winner and root for them to fall. I've enjoyed the Yankees, Duke basketball, and Notre Dame football all losing because they were on top for an extended period and I wanted to see someone knock them off. The difference with the Patriots is that the NCAA or MLB never singled Duke or the Yankees out for excessive punishments to try and derail their success. In fact, the NCAA usually does the opposite and tries to minimize an infraction by one of the big name, blue blood schools. Earlier in thread, someone mentioned the Broncos taping a team's walkthrough. No one remembers that incident because the league didn't make a big deal out of it and Denver only received a minimal punishment. Compare that to the Patriots-adjacent film crew in Cleveland. Three months later and it's still being investigated. If that was the Jaguars, it never would have made the news.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll never understand why the NFL seemingly wants the narrative out there that the most successful run in the history of their sport was due to cheating. Maybe they look at the league's success and their revenue growth and think that negative attention is attention and it's all good. I wonder if they've considered that they could have enjoyed the same success or more if they didn't play up or, in the case of deflategate, invent these controversies.

Regarding the Broncos video taping - I’m kind of ok it not being brought up that much because coach was McDaniels and the guy who taped was Steve Scarneccia - both former Pats employees.

The Broncos culture of cheating got to Josh. :p

I usually respond with a slow-mo fake punch to their shoulder with a huge smile and say, "Listen to the jealous *****, heh heh." I get back a fake-laugh with a "Ha ha...go **** yourself, Chris.", I join in their laughter and we're all good, topic over.

Regards,
Chris

I usually respond with a slow-mo fake punch to their shoulder with a huge smile and say, "Listen to the jealous *****, heh heh." I get back a fake-laugh with a "Ha ha...go **** yourself, Chris.", I join in their laughter and we're all good, topic over.

Regards,
Chris
I hang them it's much more satisfying

You need to stop hanging out with ******s.

Oh wait, saw you’re in NJ.

Nevermind.

You'd think that would have led to a harsher punishment for Denver, though. The Chargers had accused the Broncos of spying on their practices when Shanahan was there and the expectation coming out the fake Rams walkthrough story was that, if a team really did this, they'd get hammered. Instead, there's a $50k fine for the team and it gets twisted as being the Patriots fault because of McDaniels.

Another thing is, if McDaniels learned to do this from Belichick, why does no one ever ask who Bill learned it from? The most likely answer is Parcells, but then that brings his legacy and those 2 SBs with the Giants into question and I don't think the media wants to open that can of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes