PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: imbecile Gregory Robinson needed an army of "fall guys"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to brush up on your law.....

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/RL31826.pdf

What part of your post (or my post) do you think I am incorrect on? The search authority of a checkpoint (Sierra Blanca, Texas has an immigration checkpoint, not a port of entry, which FYI I drive through every week or so and know exactly how it operates, including its legal status) or your smuggling penalties discussion (I deal with those every day in federal court in El Paso, which happens to be the federal court to which this case is assigned)?

Handing me a link to this document doesn't really explain where you think I am off, so I have no idea how to answer you. This document isn't a case (nor is it a document an attorney would rely on).

Out of state plates are not a reason to pull you over. The police will perform pretext stops (pull you over for a minor actual traffic infraction and use that time to search), but there has to be a violation to make the search legal. The police can be sued if they have no legal basis for a vehicle stop.

Many of these searches utilize legal delay to get to PC. Checkpoints or pretext, it is the same game. The interesting issue in this case at the checkpoint is how many people moving controlled substances fail to realize a checkpoint is on the route until it is too late to reroute (Waze shows the checkpoint). The checkpoint involved in this case has snagged a bunch of celebrities on cross-country trips (Snoop, Willie Nelson, etc.).
Allow me to word it better. The out of state plate was the target. The pretext was a minor violation with warning given immediately as he got to the window. PC being the dog alerting to whatever was convenient.

I suspect it is a common tactic, to generate a minor violation and resulting warning as pretext, given the volume of stops observed on that stretch. Granted I respect the effort as there isn’t a family in New England who doesn’t know someone lost to an OD. That being said, they’re clearly profiling in a controlled area, as the others stopped happened to be operating a transit van, truck or vehicle with trailer in tow, distinctly with out of state plates. The zone is a flat open stretch with lots of visibility and infrequent exits from the highway. The ticketing officer, K9 and supervisor were all very in sync, moving from stop to stop to stop. One being literally ~1/4 mile behind mine. They run a tight ship, I’ll give them that.

I’m glad some smugglers get mopped up and find it laughably sad the sloppy ones drive right into the indictment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back