PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fields looked really good in preseason debut

Jones had 2-3 rushes per game.
Fields had 10 rushes per game.

Who cares what Fields did on one particular play? That’s deflecting from the point in question. And he also had 5 rushing attempts today.

A guy who rushes 10 times per game was not “a pocket QB” in college and a game where that QB passes 20 times and rushes 5 times suggests he is not “a pocket QB” so far in the pros.
He rarely left the pocket at Ohio State, his runs were on designed running plays

Mac is going to be really good and he couldn't be on a better team that fits him and can use him to the best of his skills.

In fact this QB class could be awesome. Might turn out to be just as good or better than the 2004 class or 1983.

Watching the games this week - SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT! - I think:

If the Pats owned the #1 pick, they would have taken Lawrence. He's got a great arm, sees the field, and looks the part. That said, Jones is a helluva consolation prize and may even wind up being better in the things the Pats want from their QB. We'll never know.

Fields looks like a bigger Russell Wilson - as someone mentioned earlier. His rollout skills are going to create new dynamics.

Trey Lance might put Jimmy on the unemployment line because the hype of the kid is going insane out west. He's going to have some serious growing pains, but all the physical tools are there.

Didn't see Wilson, so no comment. Not really a fan, to be honest.

For all of the above, it's way too early to tell anything other than composure and some physical highlights. Having Mac fall into the Pats' lap at 15 is a very good thing. His processing abilities look to be as good as any, and that's their offense.

It's great for the NFL that college is now pumping out such strong QBs, and it's possible this class will be special (a class can only be special once in a long time, because when there are less QB-desperate teams, college kids aren't getting the same chances...that's the sine wave of drafting). I say possible, because watching bombs to wide open guys against 3rd string safeties in preseason doesn say all that much. Wouldn't surprise me to see 5 2021 QB draftees playing at a high level a few years from now. Also wouldn't surprise me to see 3 of the first 5 picked bust.

But this looks like a very strong class - 5 deep, maybe 6, maybe even 7. It's good for the league.

Jones had 2-3 rushes per game.
Fields had 10 rushes per game.

Who cares what Fields did on one particular play? That’s deflecting from the point in question. And he also had 5 rushing attempts today.

A guy who rushes 10 times per game was not “a pocket QB” in college and a game where that QB passes 20 times and rushes 5 times suggests he is not “a pocket QB” so far in the pros.
Totally disagree. Stiffs like Sean Clifford run the ball 10x a game in college. It's the nature of the college game.

This argument is really sad. A pocket passer is a guy who stays in the pocket as long as he can. The running QBs like Cam have running plays called for them often, or Lamar Jackson. Fields is a pocket guy who can run to get out of trouble.

There's a huge difference between these two.

Look at his TD yesterday. He stayed in there for 3 or 4 seconds, then got hit, and took off.

I posted about this already, as well as all the other QBs in 'OT: Other NFL Preseason games thread'.

Long story short I wasn't impressed with his 2nd half. He's the kind of player who can always out talent uncoordinated defenses. When against guys who had actually NFL experience and played together, he was creamed. Here is how i ranked them.

#1 Mac (not bias either, I honestly think he is the best of the bunch so far)
#2 Wilson
#3 Lance
#4 Fields
#5 Lawrence

At this point my intiail gut feeling from the little I saw. Mac hits, Wilson hits, Lance is an unknown, but he has the potential to be good. Fields bust and Lawrence bust. The Lawerence bust is surprising to me. But I just don't think he can keep up with the speed of the NFL game at all. You can watch every snap on youtube and see what I mean.

Totally disagree. Stiffs like Sean Clifford run the ball 10x a game in college. It's the nature of the college game.

This argument is really sad. A pocket passer is a guy who stays in the pocket as long as he can. The running QBs like Cam have running plays called for them often, or Lamar Jackson. Fields is a pocket guy who can run to get out of trouble.

There's a huge difference between these two.

Look at his TD yesterday. He stayed in there for 3 or 4 seconds, then got hit, and took off.
Without going into play calling and selection:

A pocket passer is a guy who stays in the pocket as much as possible, moving within the window rather than scrambling or running. (Brady)
A scrambler is a guy who's happy to bail out of the pocket, but his first instinct once he gets out of the pocket is to throw. (Rodgers)
A runner is a guy who's first instinct once he gets out of the pocket is to run. (Jackson)

What Fields did yesterday, in the highlights shown, was mostly to act as a runner.

I know there were many of us that wanted the Pats to trade up and get Fields at #11, myself included. He looked pretty good in his first game - led two TD drives. He started off slow with a ball that should have picked and a fumble running but man can he throw the heck out of the ball. He really reminds me of Watson. Hopefully he takes less sacks and gets all his massages at the Bears facility. LOL

Who freking cares, he plays for the bears. if you like him so much post on the bears fan site.

Without going into play calling and selection:

A pocket passer is a guy who stays in the pocket as much as possible, moving within the window rather than scrambling or running. (Brady)
A scrambler is a guy who's happy to bail out of the pocket, but his first instinct once he gets out of the pocket is to throw. (Rodgers)
A runner is a guy who's first instinct once he gets out of the pocket is to run. (Jackson)

What Fields did yesterday, in the highlights shown, was mostly to act as a runner.

Sean Clifford, a stiff, runs the ball as much as Fields in college. And he can't run. Thats the college game.

I watched Fields stand in there all year taking hits, and yes they run in college when the pocket breaks down. But Fields stands in there a long time. Longer than most.

You mentioned the highlights.

Tell me the plays again when he is a runner?

He experienced pressure/contact on about 10 plays, and he threw on 7 of them when he got out of the pocket. Frequently for completions.

I really wonder what you're watching

• Low release point (might as well be 6’0 rather than 6’3”).
  • Uncomfortable if not running; throws well when on run but not stationary.
  • Prefers to roll out or create huge distance by sprinting backwards at snap.
  • Great arm as long as there’s a wide open throwing lane and he isn’t throwing over defender.
  • Bails on pocket immediately when pressured.
I’m glad the Patriots picked Jones. Fields has a chance to be good, but I doubt it he will.

Sean Clifford, a stiff, runs the ball as much as Fields in college. And he can't run. Thats the college game.

I watched Fields stand in there all year taking hits, and yes they run in college when the pocket breaks down. But Fields stands in there a long time. Longer than most.

You mentioned the highlights.

Tell me the plays again when he is a runner?

He experienced pressure/contact on about 10 plays, and he threw on 7 of them when he got out of the pocket. Frequently for completions.

I really wonder what you're watching

I watched the highlights of the game. You, apparently, didn't even watch the Youtube clip you posted.

Also, do I have to explain that a bootleg play is not a play with a QB pocket, by design?

• Low release point (might as well be 6’0 rather than 6’3”).
  • Uncomfortable if not running; throws well when on run but not stationary.
  • Prefers to roll out or create huge distance by sprinting backwards at snap.
  • Great arm as long as there’s a wide open throwing lane and he isn’t throwing over defender.
  • Bails on pocket immediately when pressured.
I’m glad the Patriots picked Jones. Fields has a chance to be good, but I doubt it he will.

I also am glad that the Pats picked Jones.

I don’t know how anyone could watch those first half highlights, before the UDFAs starting playing, and think that he is a better fit for the Pats, or looks more ready than Mac to make an impact this year.

I watched the highlights of the game. You, apparently, didn't even watch the Youtube clip you posted.

Also, do I have to explain that a bootleg play is not a play with a QB pocket, by design?
Holy cow, you're hopeless.

He passed out of it. He didn't run out of it. Brady has designed roll outs too especially in Tampa. Every QB does. In fact, it's what you want for rookies as it limits their decision making.

Holy cow, you're hopeless.

He passed out of it. He didn't run out of it. Brady has designed roll outs too especially in Tampa. Every QB does. In fact, it's what you want for rookies as it limits their decision making.

:oops:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back