PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fields looked really good in preseason debut

It's great for the NFL that college is now pumping out such strong QBs

I agree, and really hope that we start seeing more competent QBs in general around the league. Obviously having Brady the last 20 years skews some things, but I feel like the league has REALLY leaned into the "haves and have nots" mentality at the QB position. It would be nice to have more parity there so that the emphasis and storylines can shift a little more towards the other guys on the teams.

Holy cow, you're hopeless.

He passed out of it. He didn't run out of it. Brady has designed roll outs too especially in Tampa. Every QB does. In fact, it's what you want for rookies as it limits their decision making.
Ok, so you're either trolling, or you have no idea of what the hell you're talking about even after posting here since 2005. I mean, on the TD run, the announcers in the very video you posted flat out tell you the same thing I'm saying.
rofl.gif

I know it seems as if I'm trying to belittle the guy, but I'm not. I just don't like the narrative that's being pushed about this kid, because it's agenda driven rather than organic. It's not fair to the Bears, Dalton, Fields, or pretty much anyone else but the media clowns pushing the story.

Yeah, this is all about clicks at this point. And fans that are even more ready for live football than any other year, so hopium use is on the uptake.

We really should have single thread for the reports and thoughts about the "other" rookie QB's.

Really good? I guess we are setting the bar really low these days

Because there are times that I am a total instigator I could say:

1. Fields weapons suck. Ryan Pace cant draft, especially WRs.

2. OC Bill Lazor has too much influence on drafting skill position players.

3. The Bears need another HOF WR.

4. They let Trubisky go too early.

5. In-cuts and slants! They need more in-cuts and slants! That's why Fields looks terrible - the OC can't call a game! (NEM for those that were not acquainted)

I thought Fields got really strong as the game went on. He showed every facet of his skillset, and why he was rated a top 10 pick (I know he went 11th). He looks like a much bigger Russell Wilson, similar skills. Very impressed by his debut.
I think a closer comparison to Fields is a bigger, faster more athletic Dak Prescott, he is 6’3” 230 lbs of pure muscle, built like a bull. Wilson is 4-5 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter and a more elusive runner.

Although physically he compares to Prescott better, as far as his college playing style, the way he ran around escaping (or dragging) tacklers and then throwing the ball down the field for big completions on broken plays almost reminds me of a smaller, more studious (in college) Cam Newton, except Fields was running mostly over DBs instead on LBs ;) And I consider that a complement, I’ve never seen a college QB that could put a decent but flawed team on his back and dominate the game like college Cam Newton.

….But, for our team, I’m still glad we have Mac, he matches what the Patriots do (minimizing turnovers, taking what the defense gives you, a cerebral game plan that changes every week to exploit the opposition weaknesses) perfectly. ;)

The funniest part of this conversation is had BB traded up to 11 to take a QB it would have been Mac Jones.

Because there are times that I am a total instigator I could say:

1. Fields weapons suck. Ryan Pace cant draft, especially WRs.

2. OC Bill Lazor has too much influence on drafting skill position players.

3. The Bears need another HOF WR.

4. They let Trubisky go too early.

5. In-cuts and slants! They need more in-cuts and slants! That's why Fields looks terrible - the OC can't call a game! (NEM for those that were not acquainted)

Zero to do with Fields. The criticism isn’t about his production; it’s about his style, mechanics, arm angle, propensity to run, etc.

Sometimes those traits work…sometimes it pays to have a mobile WB on a given play. Over time, give me the ”immobile” guy who stands behind the line and allows linemen to stick to their assignmemts.

Mac is going to be really good and he couldn't be on a better team that fits him and can use him to the best of his skills.

In fact this QB class could be awesome. Might turn out to be just as good or better than the 2004 class or 1983.

He rarely left the pocket at Ohio State, his runs were on designed running plays

Looking at his first preseason game he clearly runs a lot. It's fine. It's not a bad thing, I hope he can stay healthy.

Looking at his first preseason game he clearly runs a lot. It's fine. It's not a bad thing, I hope he can stay healthy.

The question at hand isn’t whether he runs a lot but whether his running is because he leaves the pocket. A pure pocket passer on an offense that calls qb running plays will still run a lot but it doesn’t mean he is not a pocket passer because he runs instead of letting the progressions play out. That was the point of discussion.

Passing is #1-2-3 on the list of job requirements besides protecting the ball... running is just gravy.

The greatest QB in history runs like a wounded Elk.

Joe Montana, Marino and both Mannings weren't runners either.

Passing is the job.

The Pats passed on Lamar Jackson twice, and it was the correct decision... we're not talking about fantasy football here.

Bill should've started Stid vs the Jete and let the chips fall where they may, win or lose... And if it was lose, then the Pats might've been picking as high as #10 overall depending on tie-breakers such as strength of victory etc...
Very well said

Very well said
Think we're debating who could help us lose better between Stidham and Cam.

Stidham wasn't good, he was only good when there was zero pressure, unfortunately in the NFL that only means mop up duty and preseason.

Guy throws a pretty ball, he goes limp under pressure. Maybe time and experience can fix that but NFL means not for long if you can't do the job.

Who freking cares, he plays for the bears. if you like him so much post on the bears fan site.
4 pages. Lots care.

I was not posting just to discuss Fields but all of the first round QBs who played but I had a busy weekend and did not get a chance to add further thoughts as the other games played out on Saturday. Glad to see the convo happened anyway. Good stuff all around.

Like it or not these 5 guys are going to get compared for the next decade.

Question - is Russell Wilson a pocket Qb, scrambler or runner?

I think he may be all 3.

There's a reason we didn't take him. Athleticism dazzles, but it doesn't last long in this league. Pocket passers (e.g., Mac Jones) last the longest and have won the most NFL championships by a good stretch.

Field's has a reputation of being a pocket passer that is athletic

I really wanted Fields and was bummed the second i heard the trade up to 11 from the Bears, but I'm happy with Mac Jones as well.. Plenty to be excited about with Mac, i've just also secretly had a crush on athletic QBs because it just gives that extra element to the offense when its needed

Field's has a reputation of being a pocket passer that is athletic

I really wanted Fields and was bummed the second i heard the trade up to 11 from the Bears, but I'm happy with Mac Jones as well.. Plenty to be excited about with Mac, i've just also secretly had a crush on athletic QBs because it just gives that extra element to the offense when its needed
I hoped that's what we had with Cam but well... :maybenot:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back