PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fields looked really good in preseason debut

Really good? I guess we are setting the bar really low these days

Yeah, watching this it looks like he had two fumbles (one really not his fault since it was a low snap), several off target deeper passes, and two potential INTs against the Dolphins' 1s and started to play well when the 2s and 3s started to come in.

Are we going to do this after every game including the preseason games? Really?!? I just watched the video of all of Fields' snaps and I wasn't that impressed. And you know what? Who cares? It was his first game of his career in the preseason after probably a dozen or so practices. I am not going to judge him good or bad or declare the Pats screwed up not trading up for him or were smart to stay where they were and taking Mac Jones after one preseason game. Probably won't do the latter for a few years.

Even with Jones. I liked a lot of what I saw from him, but I am tempering any excitement knowing it is the preseason and he went up against the 2s and 3s for most of the night. I am encouraged with what I saw and she showed things that you would expect from a seasoned QB, not a rookie, but that doesn't mean he will ever be a good never mind a great QB.

Are we going to do this after every game including the preseason games? Really?!? I just watched the video of all of Fields' snaps and I wasn't that impressed. And you know what? Who cares? It was his first game of his career in the preseason after probably a dozen or so practices. I am not going to judge him good or bad or declare the Pats screwed up not trading up for him or were smart to stay where they were and taking Mac Jones after one preseason game. Probably won't do the latter for a few years.

Even with Jones. I liked a lot of what I saw from him, but I am tempering any excitement knowing it is the preseason and he went up against the 2s and 3s for most of the night. I am encouraged with what I saw and she showed things that you would expect from a seasoned QB, not a rookie, but that doesn't mean he will ever be a good never mind a great QB.
Mac dropped to us for free. Pats would have probably coughed up next year's 1st to move up for Fields considering there were at least two teams (Bears and Vikings) also interested in him when he dropped to 10. He'll be good but not convinced he would have been a fit here nor convinced yet that he was worth this year's and next year's first.

Also Peyton Manning 1st season 3740 yards, 56 completion %, 26 TD 28 INT 71 passer rating. Patience is needed for rookies for sure.

Mac dropped to us for free. Pats would have probably coughed up next year's 1st to move up for Fields considering there were at least two teams (Bears and Vikings) also interested in him when he dropped to 10. He'll be good but not convinced he would have been a fit here nor convinced yet that he was worth this year's and next year's first.

Also Peyton Manning 1st season 3740 yards, 56 completion %, 26 TD 28 INT 71 passer rating. Patience is needed for rookies for sure.

And if the Giants didn't like anyone who would be available at 15 that wasn't available at 20, the Patriots might have had to way overpay to move up four spots. If they Giants felt they could get the same player they wanted at 20 that they would have taken at 15, the Pats would have had to make trade offers like they had the 20th pick and not the 15th because the draft spot would have been irrelevant to the Giants.

The key thing is the rookie has to play. If it was reported is true and Mac is way ahead in his comprehension of the system. He needs to play. He needs to get experience, he needs to know what he can get away with and what he can’t. The only thing that for me the wait a year is if he has trouble to learn the playbook.

In my opinion practice experience will not replace games experience. So instead of making is fair share of mistake this year, he will make them next year and we will have lost 1 more year of Mac

The key thing is the rookie has to play. If it was reported is true and Mac is way ahead in his comprehension of the system. He needs to play. He needs to get experience, he needs to know what he can get away with and what he can’t. The only thing that for me the wait a year is if he has trouble to learn the playbook.

In my opinion practice experience will not replace games experience. So instead of making is fair share of mistake this year, he will make them next year and we will have lost 1 more year of Mac

I think there is an upside for him to stand on the sidelines for a few games with a headset on listening to McDaniels call a game and watch the actual speed of a real NFL game from the sidelines even if he is ready to start day one. So I don't think he needs to start right away.

I think there is an upside for him to stand on the sidelines for a few games with a headset on listening to McDaniels call a game and watch the actual speed of a real NFL game from the sidelines even if he is ready to start day one. So I don't think he needs to start right away.
The only upside for him to stand on the sideline for a few games is to watch what not to do on the field. He will have plenty of example

The only upside for him to stand on the sideline for a few games is to watch what not to do on the field. He will have plenty of example
He's not ready to be leading a team against the Bucs. Keeping him away from that game is "upside".

He's not ready to be leading a team against the Bucs. Keeping him away from that game is "upside".
I wholly disagree with this statement.

You don’t know that. He might be ready. He may not be. Who knows?

We don’t even know if the Bucs will be the same team we saw in the playoffs last year or did they just catch lightning in a bottle like the 2007 Giants.

I wholly disagree with this statement.

If you want to tell me that you're planning on a huge improvement from Jones in the next 2 weeks and are taking a wait and see approach, that's one thing, and I can understand that position. But, if you want to tell me that you think Jones is currently ready for a defense like Tampa's, I'll tell you that you're crazy.

You don’t know that. He might be ready. He may not be. Who knows?

Yea, I don't know that the sun won't explode this afternoon. But the sun's not going to explode this afternoon, and Mac Jones isn't ready to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in an actual NFL game.

For the hell of it, tossed on Felger and Mazz, where all the talk is that, "Well, Mac might be good, but Fields has a higher ceiling..."

Good god, this is where we are with this Boston sports media, really? This is the "hot take" after one preseason game - they put up the side-by-side stats of Fields and Jones, and wow, it's time to moan and kick things.

Fields hit a 51-yard bomb to Jesse James, who had no one (literally) within 15-20 yards of him. He caught the ball and walked backwards 10 yards into the end zone.

Mac Jones has a bucket pass dropped in the EZ, and another bomb about 5 inches too long for Gunner.

You can draw nothing from those games other than both QBs looked the part. We have no idea where either is going from here.

As for higher ceiling...isn't this New England? Who achieved the highest ceiling of all among NFL QBs in history? We should know this answer. Who was that guy, Brady, more like, Fields or Jones?

For the hell of it, tossed on Felger and Mazz, where all the talk is that, "Well, Mac might be good, but Fields has a higher ceiling..."

Good god, this is where we are with this Boston sports media, really? This is the "hot take" after one preseason game - they put up the side-by-side stats of Fields and Jones, and wow, it's time to moan and kick things.

The "mobile quarterback" narrative and fantasy has taken hold of the league, and it's not going away anytime soon. A big part of the reason is that lower level football is not providing the same quality of pocket passer that it used to, since it's gone to so many different offensive approaches. The two greatest QBs of the 21st century, Brady and Manning, are now considered to be limited QBs by the narrative creators.

Yea, I don't know that the sun won't explode this afternoon. But the sun's not going to explode this afternoon, and Mac Jones isn't ready to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in an actual NFL game.

To follow this up:

None of the 1st round rookie QBs are ready to face the Bucs. And it's not something shameful that they aren't. The Bucs are the defending SB champions, and have a very good defense.

I wonder how many of the "Fields looked really good, if you ignore anything that is inconvenient." people are also the sort to give Cam endless **** for a single INT in the redzone during a scrimmage.

If you want to tell me that you're planning on a huge improvement from Jones in the next 2 weeks and are taking a wait and see approach, that's one thing, and I can understand that position. But, if you want to tell me that you think Jones is currently ready for a defense like Tampa's, I'll tell you that you're crazy.
And I think that you have a loser mentality. So now we shouldn’t play Mac even if he is better because we are scared of the Bucs D.

there are two kinds of players. Some player crumble under pressure and some that rise to the occasion. I think Mac is in the second category. If you are scared to play him against the Bucs I don’t know why we picked him in the first round. I think he will do just fine. Better than Cam at least.

Against a pass rush like that, we need a good OL which we have and a QB that knows were to go with the ball, get it out quick and decisively. You’ll notice that none of that describe Cam Newton. But that just my opinion.

And I think that you have a loser mentality. So now we shouldn’t play Mac even if he is better because we are scared of the Bucs D.

I have a loser mentality because I understand how the NFL treats its rookie QBs? Are you out of your freakin' mind?

they two kind of player. Some player crumble under pressure and some that rise to the occasion. I think Mac is in the second category. If you are scared to play him against the Bucs I don’t know why we picked him in the first round. I think he will do just fine. Better than Cam at least.

Against a pas rush like that, we need a good OL which we have and a QB that knows were to go with the ball, get it out quick and decisively. You’ll notice that none of them describe Cam Newton. But that just my opinion.

You don't draft rookies for one season. You draft rookies for a career. Never in history has a rookie QB won a Super Bowl. So there's no reason for any urgency to start a rookie QB in his first game. And, in case you missed it, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes weren't good enough to beat the Bucs at the end of last year.

I have a loser mentality because I understand how the NFL treats its rookie QBs? Are you out of your freakin' mind?
I guess Waston had no shot against the defending SB champion Patriots in his 3rd NFL game.
You don't draft rookies for one season. You draft rookies for a career. Never in history has a rookie QB won a Super Bowl. So there's no reason for any urgency to start a rookie QB in his first game. And, in case you missed it, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes weren't good enough to beat the Bucs at the end of last year.
So the NFL should throw the towel and give 17 wins to the Bucs because if Drew Bress, Rodgers and Mahomes couldn’t beat them LAST year, nobody can this year.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back