PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre on plane to Minnesota, expected to sign $12M, one-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....and taking up 10% of the team's cap space.

Oh yeah, that's all.

When he's gone, he's gone. And so is that 10% issue. Using you logic about the cap, Brady is screwing up the Patriots development.

Just a followup, from the NFL Enquirer:

As it turns out, Vikings quarterback Brett Favre isn't the only guy who recently signed a contract with a portion of his base salary deferred into future years.

Several other teams have used the device in recent weeks.

Per a league source, receiver Marty Booker's contract with the Falcons pushes part of his base salary beyond the coming season. Ditto for the contract given by the Broncos to rookie running back Knowshon Moreno.

We're also told that the Cardinals recently have restructured the contract of receiver Larry Fitzgerald, not to create more cap space for an extension to be given to Anquan Boldin, but to push money that would have been paid this year into 2010.

On one hand, it's possible that teams are doing this to create the impression that they're having money troubles, without specifically saying that they opted out of the current labor deal two years early because of money troubles. (If they were to expressly make that connection, the owners arguably would have to open their books to the NFLPA.)

On the other hand, if it's a ruse, it's an elaborate one

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/19/more-teams-push-base-salary-into-future-years/

Last edited:
Last edited:
Look, Deus, it's already been pointed out above (Mo's link to PFT) that this move by Ziggy is purely for short-term home equity loan cash out reasons. The man is bailing water from a sinking rowboat in Minny.

For the coach, Major Dad, he's on his last twine of rope, and is clinging to the cliff's edge. He's looking for any branch to grab.

Ziggy and the Major are doing this merely for "Golden Parachute" reasons. It's akin to a Corporate CEO artificially dressing up a quarterly shareholder report at the expense of his (soon-to-be) former company's future.

Desperation is a strategy for some.

Last edited:
Look, Deus, it's already been pointed out above (Mo's link to PFT) that this move by Ziggy is purely for short-term home equity loan cash out reasons. The man is bailing water from a sinking rowboat in Minny.

For the coach, Major Dad, he's on his last twine of rope, and is clinging to the cliff's edge. He's looking for any branch to grab.

Ziggy and the Major are doing this merely for "Golden Parachute" reasons. It's akin to a Corporate CEO artificially dressing up a quarterly shareholder report at the expense of his (soon-to-be) former company's future.

Desperation is a strategy for some.

How this makes your erroneous assertion about ******ing the team's development seem any more correct is beyond me.

How this makes your erroneous assertion about ******ing the team's development seem any more correct is beyond me.

Let me make it more simple for you.

$12 million dollars that could have gone to several very good younger players who had the ability to develop would have been a far smarter move.

Wasting it on a decision-challenged 40 year old QB coming off of surgery on his THROWING ARM is something I will enjoy watching progress this year with you on this forum.

Once again, the decision is purely a financial panic decision. This is akin to Ziggy Wulf borrowing money from Tony Soprano at 40% interest in the hope that he can pay it off soon with a lottery ticket win.

Last edited:
Let me make it more simple for you.

$12 million dollars that could have gone to several very good younger players who had the ability to develop would have been a far smarter move.

Wasting it on a decision-challenged 40 year old QB coming off of surgery on his THROWING ARM is something I will enjoy watching progress this year with you on this forum.

Once again, the decision is purely a financial panic decision. This is akin to Ziggy Wulf borrowing money from Tony Soprano at 40% interest in the hope that he can pay it off soon with a lottery ticket win.

Where are these "several good younger players"? Since they've signed their rookies, we're talking about shelling out this 12 million to "several good younger players" that are free agents nobody's found to date, unless all sorts of trades were going to take place but are now stopped.

This isn't about making it simple for me. It's about you making an argument that's simply not valid.

Last edited:
Where are these "several good younger players"? Since they've signed their rookies, we're talking about shelling out this 12 million to "several good younger players" that are free agents nobody's found to date, unless all sorts of trades were going to take place but are now stopped.

This isn't about making it simple for me. It's about you making an argument that's simply not valid.

Mysteriously, teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Eagles have a knack for finding them off waivers, FA's, etc. every year.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then, Deus.

Looking forward to watching the progression of the Viking franchise over the next couple of years. ;)

Last edited:
Re: OT: Reports: Favre on Vikings plane headed for Minnesota, rumored to join team to

This just in: Favre is a whore.

Re: OT: Reports: Favre on Vikings plane headed for Minnesota, rumored to join team to

This just in: Favre is a whore.

I wouldn't even call that "stating the obvious". Hell, that was yesterday's news in 2005.

here is wfan guys in new york about favre..one yr after they cheered his move to the jets

WFAN - The Fan - Open

Man oh man.

I'm watching the Chiefs-Vikings game on TV live (one of my "local" channels on Direct TV is a Vikings preseason affiliate) and Mike Mayock is just kissing Favre's butt like he owes the guy money or something. Favre looked terrible, he was 1-4 on passing, but that didn't bother Mayock; everything was "Look at Favre do this!"

Even worse, when Tavarus Jackson came in, Mayock did nothing but criticize him. Jackson wasn't great either but he was easily better than the ol' hillbilly.

And for the record, Matt Cassel looked very good. As my wife pointed out, "What a difference going to training camp makes." ;)

Man oh man.

I'm watching the Chiefs-Vikings game on TV live (one of my "local" channels on Direct TV is a Vikings preseason affiliate) and Mike Mayock is just kissing Favre's butt like he owes the guy money or something. Favre looked terrible, he was 1-4 on passing, but that didn't bother Mayock; everything was "Look at Favre do this!"

Even worse, when Tavarus Jackson came in, Mayock did nothing but criticize him. Jackson wasn't great either but he was easily better than the ol' hillbilly.

And for the record, Matt Cassel looked very good. As my wife pointed out, "What a difference going to training camp makes." ;)

When I first read the Matt Cassel line I thought you were going to say we should have kept Cassel and traded Brady. Lol! Although I do think people will have to be patient with Brady.

Man oh man.

I can only go by the stats as I see on NFL Game Center Live, but last week Rosenfels looked great, and this week Jackson threw for 202 yards. BUt hey, they had $12 mil plus in cap room, so why not sign the biggest drama queen ever to play, right? :)

My opinion is if he feels he can play, go for it. Kind of reminds me of the broncos of the late 90s. Elway was always the man and that team lived and died by his arm and their lack of super bowl wins showed for it. then came terrell davis. they became a running team and a balanced team and won 2 superbowls because of it. Brett is put in that same type of postion. he doesnt need to be the man. just manage the game and dont lose the game..now, saying that, every now and then everybody knows he makes bone headed throws which lead to picks. I will expect nothing less this year. Its all about pressure and he will eventually fold. that is the vikings one akellies hill

Man oh man.

favre can do wrong according to the announcers..he needs time with his receivers etc etc ...
as always ..he is having fun...anyone else makes a mistake then its mechanics and all that...

LOL. Although I have been saying time and time again in this thread that he will improve the Vikings, man did he look OLD in that uniform. It almost reminded me of Burt Reynolds in that crappy "Longest Yard" remake with Adam Sandler. Heh, everytime he threw, I expected to see his arm disattach from his body and fly through the air with the ball.

If you think Favre looked bad on TV.... he looked worse in person tonight. On the upside at least its preseason and he's only been with the team for a few days. On the other hand....... yeah, he looked bad.

Jackson was pretty good tonight. Far better than last week. The thing is that Jackson really needs to stop letting the pressure get to him. He looked really relaxed when he went in tonight and it showed. He made some nice throws as well. Booty did well enough. Honestly I hope Booty down the road will get a chance to be the starting QB for the Vikes.

On the final note I'll make for tonight as I'm really tired.... Cassel really impressed a few folks around me tonight. One guy actually said "you can tell he learned well from Brady!" :D

Anyways I'm tired. Been up since 7 AM CST today so off to bed I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST