PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre on plane to Minnesota, expected to sign $12M, one-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Reports: Favre on Vikings plane headed for Minnesota, rumored to join team to

I wouldn't even call that "stating the obvious". Hell, that was yesterday's news in 2005.
More like 1999's news.. the last time he actually played in a decent season and was a worthwhile contributer.

Jackson was pretty good tonight. Far better than last week. The thing is that Jackson really needs to stop letting the pressure get to him. He looked really relaxed when he went in tonight and it showed. He made some nice throws as well.

From what I hear he'll be playing for a different team by September anyhow. ;)

From what I hear he'll be playing for a different team by September anyhow. ;)

The Champ Sports location I stopped by yesterday already had Jackson premiere jerseys on their clearance rack. Sadly they were sitting next to Maroney ones. :eek:

Just a bump to express my utmost respect for a QB that maybe is playing the best ball in his illustrious 18 year career

Favre is a shoo-in for CPOY if it holds up and those INTs he has a trademark for are nowhere to be found...at least of you are a GB Packers defender :)

2 games against rival GB with 7 TDs 0 INTs, and as a 40 year old QB with a sore throwing arm?? :eek:,it does not get better than that......

RESPECT THE MAN!!! (despite the retirement decision problem)

Just a bump to express my utmost respect for a QB that maybe is playing the best ball in his illustrious 18 year career

Favre is a shoo-in for CPOY if it holds up and those INTs he has a trademark for are nowhere to be found...at least of you are a GB Packers defender :)

2 games against rival GB with 7 TDs 0 INTs, and as a 40 year old QB with a sore throwing arm?? :eek:,it does not get better than that......

RESPECT THE MAN!!! (despite the retirement decision problem)

I do. I dissed him a lot last season when he faded in the end (as expected)but didn't know until recently that his left arm was injured and that he offered to take himself out of the team if that will help the Jesters. Looks like Mr. Mangini decided not to and made him play hurt without making it public. (wonder how the NFL is treating that investigation.)

Brady has a much better case for Comeback PoY given where each was last year.

I do. I dissed him a lot last season when he faded in the end (as expected)but didn't know until recently that his left arm was injured and that he offered to take himself out of the team if that will help the Jesters. Looks like Mr. Mangini decided not to and made him play hurt without making it public. (wonder how the NFL is treating that investigation.)

Maybe what Favre missed all these years was a top notch RB and a great OL to give him time to throw and avoid the rollout gunslinger ways he was used to - Who knows how many more records he could have attained with a similar team like he has now if he had one in GB in the past decade?.

I will tell you one thing I have noticed that I have RARILY seen from Brett for the past decade and a half and that is a calm,cool,collected confident Favre staying in the pocket and finding time to find guys open and he usually does not miss...thats the HOF QB we saw his first year or so and give him AP and that monster OL and it is paying off in huge dividends.

Why not skip the rest of the regular season for the NFC and just put the Saints and Vikings in the NFCCG? :)

I'll admit I was wrong about him so far this year. He definitely benefits from a great team around him, but he has been the anti-Favre of the last five or so years (other than 2007).

I'll admit I was wrong about him so far this year. He definitely benefits from a great team around him, but he has been the anti-Favre of the last five or so years (other than 2007).

The best OL that I have seen in years can do great things for you,the OL is by far the Vikings biggest strength among many other positions.

Brady has a much better case for Comeback PoY given where each was last year.

I agree... depending on his performance next week against the Phins secondary, Brady could end up leading (or at least being close to leading) the NFL in passing yards and TD's... He currently has 2,032 (league leader Schaub has 2,342) and 15 TD's (Favre & Schaub both have 16). I think he is already a lock for Comeback Player for the year. Favre was just stuck in New Jersey lol, he did have a bicep injury at the end of the season and while that is a huge obstacle to comeback from, it wasn't as big as Brady's.

The best OL that I have seen in years can do great things for you,the OL is by far the Vikings biggest strength among many other positions.

I think it is a toss up between the o-line and Adrian Peterson. I think Peterson forces teams to keep 8 in the box which allows the Vikes' receivers (the weakest part of their offense) to be open and not forcing Favre to make a lot of stupid decisions like throwing into double and triple coverage (which is his biggest weakness). The Vikings are still a run first team and do not rely on Favre to win games like the Packers and Jets did in the past.

Favre was excellent in 2007. Last year (2008), he had the Jets at 8-3 before getting injured. This year, he's been healthy so far, and he's playing with a very solid offense around him. It's no surprise that the Vikings are playing well as a result.

Maybe what Favre missed all these years was a top notch RB and a great OL to give him time to throw and avoid the rollout gunslinger ways he was used to - Who knows how many more records he could have attained with a similar team like he has now if he had one in GB in the past decade?.

He used to have both in Green Bay during the primes of Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher and Ahman Green.

EDIT: should note here that Minnesota's great o-line has helped Favre get sacked 18 times. Tom Brady, behind our perpetually-maligned offensive line, has been sacked 8 times.

Last edited:
Favre has played great and made a big difference in Minnesota.

One still has to wonder how he will hold up over the full season. He is 40 years old, and playing full time he might wear down as the season goes along. He already has a groin injury, and there is still a long way to go.

Favre has played great and made a big difference in Minnesota.

One still has to wonder how he will hold up over the full season. He is 40 years old, and playing full time he might wear down as the season goes along. He already has a groin injury, and there is still a long way to go.

He is already on antibiotics for an undisclosed reason.

I think it is a toss up between the o-line and Adrian Peterson. I think Peterson forces teams to keep 8 in the box which allows the Vikes' receivers (the weakest part of their offense) to be open and not forcing Favre to make a lot of stupid decisions like throwing into double and triple coverage (which is his biggest weakness). The Vikings are still a run first team and do not rely on Favre to win games like the Packers and Jets did in the past.

If you noticed though...AP has not had a GREAT season so far but a very good one but while AP was carrying the Vikes early in the season as he struggled a bit in the past few games in getting 100 yards,it seems more and more that Favre is slowly starting to expand his position on the team and while in the early going he was "just going for the ride" he is now more important since AP has not had too many of those 'WOW' games lately.

He used to have both in Green Bay during the primes of Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher and Ahman Green.

EDIT: should note here that Minnesota's great o-line has helped Favre get sacked 18 times. Tom Brady, behind our perpetually-maligned offensive line, has been sacked 8 times.

I have seen Favre hold on the ball longer than normal but its better than he used to be in throwing the ball out too quickly and getting it picked,Sometimes sacks can be misleading,it means the QB could be more protective of the ball and where it should be going to and not throwing into triple coverage,better sacked than intercepted.

Last week against Pittsburgh Favre had little time to throw late in the game while early on he had time and hit his targets, but when you play the Steelers you can expect that defense to bring it all anyways.

Last edited:
If you noticed though...AP has not had a GREAT season so far but a very good one but while AP was carrying the Vikes early in the season as he struggled a bit in the past few games in getting 100 yards,it seems more and more that Favre is slowly starting to expand his position on the team and while in the early going he was "just going for the ride" he is now more important since AP has not had too many of those 'WOW' games lately.

Peterson is still on track for over 1500 yards and 18 TDs with a 4.8 YPC. He is tied for third for rushing yards per game. He may not be rushing like he has his first two years in the league, but he is still on pace to be a top 3 or 4 RB in the league.

It is really weird that they are not riding AP more then they are.

Favre has played great but you have to keep his arm strong for the entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST