PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fan passed away at Gillette Last night

Security at Gillette is good. Fights are rare compared to before Kraft bought the team, there's an immediate "trouble" reporting system where people can text directly from their phones if/when something happens. Cameras are trained on every single seat as someone already mentioned. One possible problem is whether whoever has those seats sold them to Dolphins fans who can't be identified, although someone was taken into custody. The incident probably still is under investigation so it might be a bit before more info comes out.

One unique aspect to how season tickets are managed by the Patriots is ticket holders are responsible for someone behaving badly in their seats whoever it is. The penalty is losing future ticket privileges, a strong deterrent.
Yep, Kraft worked wonders with the crowd since the old days. At first I thought that losing season tickets was unfair but when I saw the results I was 100% behind it. It's like night and day compared to the old days.

I come from a small town. Used to go to games when I was down there ~2001 ish and have been to NFL games in other cities. I have to tell you, it IS scary going to these events. I played sports my entire life, there is so many positive things they teach. But the fandom relative to pro sports, this is too much man. I simply have no desire to plan a trip to any game...i want to go...but the hassle is just too much...to dicey Get in an opposing stadium and trouble finds you. My heart goes out to this family.

I come from a small town. Used to go to games when I was down there ~2001 ish and have been to NFL games in other cities. I have to tell you, it IS scary going to these events. I played sports my entire life, there is so many positive things they teach. But the fandom relative to pro sports, this is too much man. I simply have no desire to plan a trip to any game...i want to go...but the hassle is just too much...to dicey Get in an opposing stadium and trouble finds you. My heart goes out to this family.
I agree, I wouldn't go to another teams stadium. There's just too many idiots out there. I have a pacemaker and if I got punched the right way I imagine it could be fatal. It's one of the reasons I don't bother going to too many sporting events any more.

I agree, I wouldn't go to another teams stadium. There's just too many idiots out there. I have a pacemaker and if I got punched the right way I imagine it could be fatal. It's one of the reasons I don't bother going to too many sporting events any more.
Every time I go to a different stadium, I root root root for the home team, even if it's just pretend. I don't need playful hassle to turn into angry hassle and turn into fists being thrown.

Obviously, as we learned this weekend, being a home team supporter does not guarantee your safety but IMHO it sure helps your chances.

That strikes me as kind of an extreme view. Chances of something really bad happening are slim and you end up missing out on great experiences by avoiding games altogether. I've been a Patriots season ticket holder for 29 years. I have attended four Super Bowls plus away games covering visits to 17 other NFL cities. I've seen some nasty behaviors (fights) and have been verbally harassed but never have come close to physical danger, personally. This includes always wearing my team's colors.

If you ask me, it boils down to not drinking, being respectful and keeping your eyes open. For my entertainment dollar, nothing beats a live NFL game.

Very sad story ... feel for the family.
I saw a still photo of it ... vicious not just a haymaker.

Photo is here ... rather not post it ... Mooney had no chance to defend himself.

Very sad story ... feel for the family.
I saw a still photo of it ... vicious not just a haymaker.
Hope the cops are letting this tough guy know that he is gonna get raped in prison

this sucks, back when I had ST (92-2012ish) there were always fights. there were always fights between traveling fans and Pats fans. My tailgate crew was involved in a drunken post game Lot A donnybrook with a bunch of Atlanta fans after the game when Atlanta blew out the Pat in 98. there were broken bones, bloody faces, etc., but luckily the mounted staties trotted in and it was over pretty quick.
Booze can make people act like assholes; I know it did to me when I was younger and it makes probably 20k people feel like tough guys every Sunday at Gillette.
I pray that the Mooney Family gets justice and the piece of sh#t Miami fan does considerable time. But we are in MA, so the judge will probably make him attend 10 de-escalation classes and write an essay about the dangers of pugilism.
I'm taking my oldest to the NO game and 100% will have my head on a swivel.

I never got drinking at football games. There's so much going on on the field, views you never get on TV, ability to focus on a particular player or group. Why do it in a haze? But then I'm a cheap drunk.

Security at Gillette is good. Fights are rare compared to before Kraft bought the team, there's an immediate "trouble" reporting system where people can text directly from their phones if/when something happens. Cameras are trained on every single seat as someone already mentioned. One possible problem is whether whoever has those seats sold them to Dolphins fans who can't be identified, although someone was taken into custody. The incident probably still is under investigation so it might be a bit before more info comes out.

One unique aspect to how season tickets are managed by the Patriots is ticket holders are responsible for someone behaving badly in their seats whoever it is. The penalty is losing future ticket privileges, a strong deterrent.
Tune I know you‘ve been a long time STH. I have also had ST for 30 years. Had them in the 80’s for 3 years
It is like night and day from the old days
It was the O.K. Corral in the old days. Bringing a younger fan back then was like rolling the dice
Presently it is pretty mellow. You always get a few drunken cowboys. But they get put in their place pretty quickly

With resale of tickets to NFL Ticketmaster the STH is not held responsible if someone gets in trouble. Only if they sell them on their own

Worst fans I have observed. Philly and Ravens

Hey, free season tickets. That will fix everything.

yea certainly doesnt fix anything, but if they get some money at least they'll be supported for a length of time until they get their life back together

I never got drinking at football games. There's so much going on on the field, views you never get on TV, ability to focus on a particular player or group. Why do it in a haze? But then I'm a cheap drunk.
I don't drink when I go because I won't pay the ridiculous prices for a beer.

I have been thinking this for years ... but not a drinker so of course I don't understand.
I went to a few games maybe 5 years ago and the people around me were polluted.
If someone lit a match while they were screaming we might have been incinerated.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back