PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Euro 2021 soccer

Well done Italy , you stayed strong for the whole game. Not sure that I agree on the point re England wanting penalties , it was Italy who were at walking pace for most of extra time. However Ice Ice Brady is 100% correct in the comment about the subs taking penalties when at least 2 of them had not been involved in the game. It is a common strategy to sub on players who are supposed to be good penalty takers for their club sides. This was the case for Rashford but I dont know about Sancho and Saka. Anyway this backfired big time.

I hate to say this , but I said to my wife immediately after the game.....watch social media and it will be full of racial comments about the 3 black players missing their penalties and sure enough it happened....this needs to be stamped out and they should go after these idiots. Its not all England supporters but there is an element that needs to be stopped.

Awesome post dreighver
Grazie
Congratulations Italian Pat Patriot. Italy is a very worthy champion. I only saw one team that maybe outclassed them and that was Spain, but today Italy was more than worthy as they took the game to England after the opening moments. Verratti, who is not a favorite of mine, was superb and truly showed he was needed as he became healthier.

I've been saying from the start of this thread that Chiesa needed to play more and I couldn't figure out why he started games on the bench, but he showed his value today.

For those critiquing the young English players who missed or even Southgate who chose them, you had to know that going to PKs with Italy was a losing proposition. When you're facing Donnaruma, you have to be perfect on your kick. That creates a lot of pressure. On the flip side, Italy merely had to be good or decent on theirs. I could argue that Donnaruma would have saved the Bonucci and Berardi PKs if he were playing for England instead of Pickford.

When you have to be perfect, it creates much more pressure on England.

The ending was predictable. Southgate was to blame more for not putting pressure on Emerson, Chiellini and Bonucci. I was afraid that England's youth and speed would tear through them, but instead they hardly payed with the exception of Saka and Sterling.

Shameless scenes from the English fans after the game! fighting each other and hunting down italian fans.
Its a disgrace! Many police officers injured as well

Also, Booing the Italian National anthem ....just classless (its not just England though)
Kane , Sterling and Mount all disappeared from the second half of normal time
Englands subs did not contribute much (apart from Grealish) , should Southgate have involved those players earlier in this game and in the tournament as a whole.

@DanishPatFan .......just reading the reports now about the match and had not seen anything re fighting etc.......this is another bad aspect of some English supporters (some apparently tried to break into the Stadium) that should be investigated. Spoils the name of the real supporters

@DanishPatFan .......just reading the reports now about the match and had not seen anything re fighting etc.......this is another bad aspect of some English supporters (some apparently tried to break into the Stadium) that should be investigated. Spoils the name of the real supporters
Exactly.
Also smashing beer-bottles all over the ground.
But sadly this is how the english fans behave every tournament.

@italian pat patriot ....Happy for you today well done.

Not such a good result in the tennis. Berrettini played well but too much unforced errors however we should remember he was playing against one of the greatest players of all time. Berrettini is still young and will have more opportunities.

If Chiesa doesn’t hurt I don’t think it makes it to penalties

Is this sarcasm? Penalty kicks are random garbage. Imagine if the NFL decided the game on a field goal kicking competition? They should decide the outcome of the continent’s biggest game by playing the actual sport they’re competing in.

in the NFL you have a tie like every 10 years, in european football you have a tie like every second game, completely different sport and dynamics, in the NFL you can't just park the bus and you won't consed a score, in "soccer" they do it half the time like England, score a goal in 2nd minute don't do **** for the rest of the game just to get the tie score and after 120 minutes of not doing anything to score a second goal (except for diving on the field to get a penalty awarded) you bring in Rashford and Sancho for the penalties just for them to **** their pants in front of Donnarumma and shoot the worst penalties of their team :rofl:

in the NFL games are actually often decided by a FG kicker (call it "penalty taker":whistle:) but already seconds before the end of the game, so well
American Football has the positiv aspect, that you are not rewarded for not doing **** on the field, you have to attack the defense and you have to put points on the board, in soccer you are often rewarded by just beeing destructiv and don't do anything for the game to win

thats why American football is more fun to watch than soccer, at least for me

Last edited:
Thank you, Italy! I rarely care about who wins these things, but I so badly wanted England to lose. It was delicious irony that England brought on those two subs at the very end - furthering the crap fast of penalty kicks by using players who weren’t even involved in the actual game. And of course, they both missed.

But nothing was more shocking to me than putting Saka 5th because the game just seemed way, way too big him from the moment he went in. So many miscommunications…didn’t realize he is only 19 but makes sense. They had him kick last? Lol.

England played like cowards all day and then acted like world beaters, with their suddenly ****y attitudes when they went up 2-1 on pks. That was awesome the way Italy came back. Italy was the best team by a wide margin. England clearly wanted to win by running out the clock and winning on a coin flip.

19???? Holy ****. That kid is scarred for life.

To put him on the world's stage like that.. Wow.. if that isn't the ultimate definition of throwing someone to the sharks, I don't know what is.

To put him on the world's stage like that.. Wow.. if that isn't the ultimate definition of throwing someone to the sharks, I don't know what is.
And the racist comments directed at them on social media... some people are just vile.

The coach, Southgate, basically had the same thing happen 25 years ago. Youngest player on the England national team, missed final PK in semi-finals vs Germany to lose. With him, though, he went sixth after it was 5-5 and they had to go with next selection. You’d think that guy might avoid that scenario again.

About the PKs, I'll say it again: it doesn't matter. England was never winning that with Italy's GK in net, no matter if Kane, Mount, Sterling, Maguire and Shaw took the kicks.

Donnarumma was named best player in the tournament, rightfully so, he is the first ever goalkeeper to be named player of an Euro tournament

already one of the greats with only 22 years of age, right there with Lev Yashin, Gigi Buffon and Manuel Neuer

Italy has a great history of goalkeepers like Walter Zenga, Dino Zoff, Gigi Buffon, but I think Donnarumma will top them all when everything is set and done in 15-20 years

Another heartbreaking loss from England. Italy had the better of them, but a lot of that is how badly Southgate managed that game. In sports you can never play not to lose, you need to play to win. Southgate managed scared and it cost England.

Having 2 holding midfielders in Rice and Phillips instead of having creative and more offensive players like Grealish gave Italy all the possession. They owned the midfield. 70% possession. He had all his speed on the bench, and the only thing that would have scared Italy’s older defenders was speed. Especially if his plan was to counter attack.

Having 7 guys back defending basically left his forwards out of the game. No support. Every time England got the ball Italy pressed them and England just kicked the ball back to Italian defenders. Then Southgate’s subs are Henderson (another defensive player) and a teenager Saka who wasn’t ready for this type of match. To have the kid kick 5th was outrageous.

England will not win a tournament unless they find a manager who is bold and not afraid. They have talent but what the hell good is it sitting on the bench or playing rigid defensive formations. Same sh*t from them every tournament. Croatia’s midfield did the same thing to them last World Cup and Southgate sat there like a deer in the headlights.

For me as an English supporter I feel like I did after the Eagles/Pats SB. I feel for the players because the coach didn’t put them in the best position to win.

Another heartbreaking loss from England. Italy had the better of them, but a lot of that is how badly Southgate managed that game. In sports you can never play not to lose, you need to play to win. Southgate managed scared and it cost England.

Having 2 holding midfielders in Rice and Phillips instead of having creative and more offensive players like Grealish gave Italy all the possession. They owned the midfield. 70% possession. He had all his speed on the bench, and the only thing that would have scared Italy’s older defenders was speed. Especially if his plan was to counter attack.

Having 7 guys back defending basically left his forwards out of the game. No support. Every time England got the ball Italy pressed them and England just kicked the ball back to Italian defenders. Then Southgate’s subs are Henderson (another defensive player) and a teenager Saka who wasn’t ready for this type of match. To have the kid kick 5th was outrageous.

England will not win a tournament unless they find a manager who is bold and not afraid. They have talent but what the hell good is it sitting on the bench or playing rigid defensive formations. Same sh*t from them every tournament. Croatia’s midfield did the same thing to them last World Cup and Southgate sat there like a deer in the headlights.

For me as an English supporter I feel like I did after the Eagles/Pats SB. I feel for the players because the coach didn’t put them in the best position to win.
This is pretty funny. Southgate managed this team better than any other England manager in the last 50 years. Sterling shows up for this game and there is no extra time. Maguire played excellent defense but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a header.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back