PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reconnaissance Jet Week 2: Patriots (home)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Death

Rookie
Reaction score
The following is a piece I've just posted up on Jetsinsider.com: I asked a couple of posters here to answer some questions for me, and one of them asked me to post the same thread up here as I did on Jetsinsider. I was waiting for one more set of replies from THE_ARCHIVES, but he hasn't got back to me.

Here is the thread:

The second week of Recon. Jet sees the Jets match up against uber-successful divisional rival, the New England Patriots. Eric Mangini will be looking to outwit his old boss in Bill Belichick, and the Jets will be looking to settle old scores over a foe that has dominated them in recent times.

The Club

The New England Patriots were, almost from their inception in 1959, a laughing stock of a franchise: up until 2001 they had made but one trip to the Super Bowl, in 1985 where they had been trounced by the Bears. However their victory in 2001 at Super Bowl XXXVI announced the greatest period in the club's history: they followed up with victories in the Super Bowl in 2003 and 2004. This unprecedented run of success has almost no parallel in modern football; salary caps and the draft make it almost impossible to stay on top for any sustained length of time. The question is, are the Patriots about to go into decline after their long period at the top? Perhaps the Jets can provide an answer to that question this Sunday....

Betting (from Sportstab)

NY Jets: 3.25
NE Patriots 1.30
(this means that for every $1 outlayed, if you bet on the Jets and they win, you'll get back $3.25, and if you bet $1 on the Patriots you'll get back $1.30

NY Jets Touchdown 3.50 NY Jets Field Goal 4.50 NY Jets Safety 101.00 New England Touchdown 2.25 New England Field Goal 4.50 New England Safety

This week our fans in the spotlight come from Patsfans.com; I questioned to Box_O_Rocks, PatsSteve1 and Patsfan13.

1.The Patriots gave an un-Patriot like performance last week against the Bills: are the Bills that good, or are the Patriots slipping, or is this just a case of ring rust by the Pats?

Box_O_Rocks: The only way to correct ring rust is fight through the season and obtain a new ring. Buffalo added 21 new players and built for team speed: They are very good on defense and will only get better as the season progresses (barring injuries). Their defensive speed required a larger adjustment for the offense than had apparently been anticipated - half time got things working a bit better. Our defense was over pursuing initially, they eventually settled down and remembered to use proper technique - Buffalo had a decent drive to start the second half, but the 4th and inches stop took the wind from their sails. "UnPatriot like" is 180 degrees out from that performance, it was very Patriot-like, heart stopping, surprising, resilient.

PatsSteve1: It was really a tale of 2 halfs at the LOS. The Bills pushed the Patriots around in the 1st half and it was the other way around in the 2nd half.

patsfan13: 3 things stuck out to me: 1)The Bills are better than advertized. 2)Brady had a poor game his accuracy wasn't very good. 3)The Bills had 21 new players and a new staff/system, not much film to go on. The Pats were on their heels in the first half, but played better after they made adjustments to what the Bills were doing in the 2nd half.

2.You've had a sensational run in the last few years: if you could pick one person, be it a coach, owner, or player, who would you say has been most responsible for that success and why?

Box_O_Rocks: Bob Kraft, he rebuilt the organization from the ground up.

PatsSteve1:I can't. It would be a shared between responsibilty Belichick and Brady

patsfan13: The owner. Kraft put the staff in place and let them run the show. I think he learned from the problems he had with Parcells. We had lousy ownership for 30 years until Kraft bought the team.

3. Laurence Maroney looks to be another draft winner for the Pats: what is the secret to success in the draft, excellent talent spotting or do you have to have some plain dumb luck as well?

Box_O_Rocks: The relationship between Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli, they have a shared understanding of what they want in a player, and how he must fit into the program. They have also clearly communicated their requirements to the scouting staff.

PatsSteve1:The former on the 1st day and I'd add in some of the latter on the 2nd day.

patsfan13: You have to be both smart and have some luck. The Pats look for guys who will fit the system physically, who are smart (they have the highest % of college grads on the roster the past few years), and to whom football is an important part of their lives. IMO the emphasis on 'character guys' increases their chances of getting productive players. Luck helps too, if it weren't for the late **** Rehban we would have missed out on Brady, getting his in the sixth round was luck even thoiugh he fit the creteria for a Pats player. I seriously doubt we have any SB's in this run without Brady.

4. Is there any particular game against the Jets that sticks in your mind as a favourite one for you as a Pats fan?

Box_O_Rocks: Always the next one, refighting past battles does not appeal.

PatsSteve1:I went to a Jets/Patriots game in about 1992 in Foxboro at the old dump. It was in a downpour and the Jets won 6-3. I've never been that wet with clothes on. You could barely see the other side of the stadium.

patsfan13: There was a game played in the remanants of a hurricane in 1971 (IIRC), rained 3-4 inches during the game, the stands at Schaefer stadium were floded we were standing in inches of water. I was a 18 and got drenched and loved it. The Pats won, which didn't happen too much those days.

5. There has been some talk this week that the Pats are seeking tampering charges against the Jets over Deion Branch: is Bill Belichick just playing mind games ahead of the Jets game, or is there something more to it?

Box_O_Rocks: Reportedly, telling the Branch camp what the Jets where willing to trade for his services is tampering.

PatsSteve1:I don't know what's up with that. Frankly, I think they should just let it go.

Patsfan13 BB and minds games, surely you Jests ! I don't know what the basis of the charge is. My guess is that BB wasn't happy that Mangini made a run at DB, and is messing with him.

6. What game plan will the Pats adopt, both offensively and defensively, against the Jets? Where will the game be won and lost? What will be the final score?

Box_O_Rocks:
The offense will use the run game to wear down your defense while resting ours. The defense will try and force your offense to beat us with the passing game. Special Teams will attempt to control field position.

PatsSteve1:The Patriots are going to run the ball 1st and pass off that. They got 180+ yards against the Bills who almost ignored the WR'S because the ones they had for that game aren't very good excpet Troy Brown but he's gotten old. On D I expect the Patriots to play the pass mostly, maybe with the nickel a lot althouth new DC Dan Pea's is more aggresive with the blitz than Mangini was as DC last year. I always expect games to be won in the trenches. And I think the Patriots have the edge there. Low scoring maybe only in the teens.

patsfan13: On O expect to see a lot of 2TE sets as the base O, last week Dillon, Maroney, and Faulk combined for 180 yds on 36 att. So stopping the run will be a key for the Jets. The passing game will be interesting. Brady spreads the ball around, will the Pats get production from the Wr's this week? Will Gabriel & Jackson play this week? If we can get 8-9 receiptions from our WR, the O will be very successful. I expect Brady to have a very good game. Usually after a bad game he plays very well.The D had a good game last week especially in the 2nd half. I would have thought they would have jammed the LOS, but Pennington look better than I had expected, with better arm strength than I've seen since before the shoulder injuries. Usually BB wants to take away the run, given the youth of the Jets OL and no CM, perhaps they will attack Pennington. Clearly BB and EM know each other very well, it will be interesting to see how they manage the game.As in most NFL games turnovers will be the key. I expect the Pats to win, guess 27-16 for the score.

7. The Jets had an impressive win against the Titans: do you see our victory as merely an oasis of success amid a desert of a season, or do you think we'll be better then that? What win-loss record do you think we'll have this year?

Box_O_Rocks:
Chad made a statement regarding his health. Your team showed some of their own brand of resilience. Looking at your schedule, you have a fighting chance to go 8-8 if your defense can gain some confidence in the 3-4 techniques they're learning.

PatsSteve1:I have NFL Ticket but I didn't watch the Jets game. I could better answer that after this week. I havee no idea now. Pennington does have a history of getting hurt and that'd be a big blow as would Brady getting hurt for the Patriots.

patsfan13: I thought the Jets played a solid game. It shouldn't have been close. I am suprised Nugent had such a bad game, was that a fluke or has he been struggling? The Titans aren't a good team, but the Jets played very well and should have blown them out. With the schedule this year. I can see them getting to 7-9 wins if healthy. Say wins over Tenn, Texans, Raiders, Fish, Bills, Packers, Lions, Vikes, Browns. I hope Pennington can stay healthy this year.

8. Eric Mangini seems to have won over most Jets fans, after seeing him with the Pats for some time, do you see Mangini being a successful coach in the long term in the NFL?
Box_O_Rocks:
Yes.

PatsSteve1:Yes. But as always he better do it fast because owners don't wait long. he could be a guy who does better as a HC with his 2nd team.

patsfan13: He is smart enough, the issue is how good the personell dept will be in getting the right players? Can he get the players to buy into what he wants to do? How does he deal with the NY media? If he struggles with the Jets you wonder if it will be a case like BB in Cleve, where he knew the X & O's but could handle the 'other' stuff the first time around.

9. Those Patriot's cheerleaders, Tom Brady could bed any of them, but apparently chooses to bat for the other side: are the rumours over Brady's sexual orientation completely unfounded, or should the Patriots centre truly be worried?

Box_O_Rocks: Tommy and I are not intimate and I am truly unable to give you the answer you want but, should there be a glitch in his wiring, you still must make your own dates.

PatsSteve1:I don't believe that. He's pretty serious with the actress he's seeing. I attended a game in San Diego and we stayed at the Pats hotel, Brady snuck down some stairs and hopped in a Porcshe Boxter with 2 blonde babes. One was that wild actress he was seeing back then, but I gorget her name.

patsfan13: As long as Brady wins 75% o fhis reg season games and 90% of his playoff games. He can join the Village People for all I care. Could this explain why he was going to Manhatten so often this off season? Was he dating some Jets fans? Is this a plot by Mangini to steal our Tommy Boy? you've got me worried now.

10. How will the Patriots go this season: what will be your win loss record, and if you think you'll make the playoffs, how deep into them will you go? What one team from across the league is the biggest impediment to Pats success this season?

Box_O_Rocks: They will make the Playoffs at minimum, after that it's a real dog fight. Worst case is another 10-6 record, 13-3 seems more likely. San Diego.

PatsSteve1:
In my opinion the Patriots success or lack of success will depend on how much they get from the WR position. They are good elsewhere. 3 of the 5 WR's on the 53 man roster have never played a down for the Patriots and another only 1 regular season game. They need to get some production there to be balanced.

patsfan13: 17-2 and another SB. 4 SB's in 6 years like the Steelers. I hope we can get through a season with an 'average' number of injuries. The biggest impediment to getting to the playoffs, is the Jets this week (gotta remember to drink that BB Kool Aid). I can't identify 1 team there are a lot of good teams in the AFC.

11. As a divisional rival, is there anything that particularly annoys you about the Jets or Jets fans?

Box_O_Rocks: You let Herm get away, Mangini just doesn't project the same humorous incompetence.

PatsSteve1:i think it's a fun rivalry and where the Patriots filed agrievance about tampering, the Border war is back -

patsfan13:
Actually no, grew up in RI but live in Jersey now, they are a decent group. Tha Pats were bad for a long time. I can identify with wht the Jets fans have had to put up with.The only fans who really annoy are the Fish fans.

You lost me in your fourth paragraph when you forgot our 1996 SB appearance.

shmessy said:
Don't pick on him, he worked very hard to get question number nine in for one of the Jets' core constituencies. You have to feel for all the Tom Brady fantasies that City must live with. That poor Moga character in an earlier thread was a poster child for ahem frustration.

Chris: Thanks for posting the Q&A, no injuries!

shmessy said:

Ahhh well....I'm sure you can get over it after winning three or so in recent years. :D

No worries, Box, I'll be doing the same for every game this year, but hope at some stage to hand it over to other Jets fans at various stages during the season.

In other words either myself or another poster from JI will be back here when we play you on your home turf.

I'm amazed that none of the questions concerned the coaches, since it seems to be be a minor obsession of both the New York media and a handful of venomous and ignorant posters on that board to portray Belichick in a strongly Borgesian light: soulless, classless, warped, and pathological. Mangini, on the other hand, is a gentle, loyal, diligent, and noble young man who seeks to be a true leader: part coach, part paragon. Hilarious.

kolbitr said:
I'm amazed that none of the questions concerned the coaches, since it seems to be be a minor obsession of both the New York media and a handful of venomous and ignorant posters on that board to portray Belichick in a strongly Borgesian light: soulless, classless, warped, and pathological. Mangini, on the other hand, is a gentle, loyal, diligent, and noble young man who seeks to be a true leader: part coach, part paragon. Hilarious.

As you say, been done to death elsewhere.

BTW, Black Death, great job! That is an excellent thread. Very creative idea for a week leading up to the game.

Hopefully someone here with lots of time (Box?) could do the same thing with 3 knowledgeable fans of the opposing team each week.

shmessy said:
BTW, Black Death, great job! That is an excellent thread. Very creative idea for a week leading up to the game.

Hopefully someone here with lots of time (Box?) could do the same thing with 3 knowledgeable fans of the opposing team each week.
And steal Chris Price's thunder? I can't keep up with breakdowns and the church bulletin. :(

shmessy said:

Yessir.
One fine thread!

Good responses, boys.

Good concept. Good execution.
Only bad is that Steve doesn't understand football.
Uh-oh!

Uh-oh![/QUOTE]

* Phil. it seems I lost YOUR ticket to the Miami game -:)

PatsSteve1 said:
Uh-oh!

* Phil. it seems I lost YOUR ticket to the Miami game -:)[/quote]

My Steve knows football. That good-looking, intelligent and witty poster is Da Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back