PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: DK Metcalf...great article.

I look forward to his SB winning speeches and his SB MVP trophies. He is a Patsfans legend. Will post of his accomplishments in these two areas as soon as they come to fruition.

Don't forget he was still on the board when the Pats traded up for JoeJuan!

Imagine if the Pats had both Metcalf and Harry? Metcalf would have put up great numbers, Brady probably would have stayed and Harry could have carried their helmets to and from the practice field.

Another thread on DK Metcalf.
tenor.gif

Don't forget he was still on the board when the Pats traded up for JoeJuan!

Imagine if the Pats had both Metcalf and Harry? Metcalf would have put up great numbers, Brady probably would have stayed and Harry could have carried their helmets to and from the practice field.

I’ll probably always be upset that the Pats passed on Metcalf and Brown. To me they were no brainer 1 and 2 best in the draft.

However, there is no way that you or I would know if Brady would stay because of 1 rookie. For all we know, Brady was already out the door, or BB was just moving on no matter what.

Yes I will continue to be pissed and make sarcastic one liners about passing on these two great talents, but not only is it skill set but also landing point. Had Brown or Metcalf landed in New England could you honestly say they would be super stars? Better than what we got yes, but Russel Wilson certainly helps the shine on Metcalf. Aj Brown is amazing with just Ryan Tannehil, can you imagine if he was playing with Wilson? Probably similar results. But teams are also focusing on Derrick Henry so that has helped in his cause.

Maybe you can attribute Meyers surge of recent production to the emergence of Damien Harris. New England has seen a ton of 8 man fronts recently. More than any team in the league. Btw, that shows the understatement of how good Harris is. Noone has crushed 8 man fronts like he has all season.

Pains me every time I see him jump over a guy to make a catch, torch a guy for a long TD, stiff arm people through the earth, or just plow through human beings like they aren't there. Meanwhile our guy is a solid blocker!

I’ll probably always be upset that the Pats passed on Metcalf and Brown. To me they were no brainer 1 and 2 best in the draft.

However, there is no way that you or I would know if Brady would stay because of 1 rookie. For all we know, Brady was already out the door, or BB was just moving on no matter what.

Yes I will continue to be pissed and make sarcastic one liners about passing on these two great talents, but not only is it skill set but also landing point. Had Brown or Metcalf landed in New England could you honestly say they would be super stars? Better than what we got yes, but Russel Wilson certainly helps the shine on Metcalf. Aj Brown is amazing with just Ryan Tannehil, can you imagine if he was playing with Wilson? Probably similar results. But teams are also focusing on Derrick Henry so that has helped in his cause.

Maybe you can attribute Meyers surge of recent production to the emergence of Damien Harris. New England has seen a ton of 8 man fronts recently. More than any team in the league. Btw, that shows the understatement of how good Harris is. Noone has crushed 8 man fronts like he has all season.
What might have been in 2019 with AJ Brown and a 2020 Damien Harris instead of Son of Maroney.

Other notable 2019 WRs -

2nd Mecole Hardman is going to be good.
3rd Terry McLaurin has been nothing but solid
3rd Dontae Johnson is paying off for the Steelers as a solid # 3.
6th Travis Fulgham is in the thick of things in Detroit.
6th Scotty Miller.

Not convinced Metcalf would've been particularly great here. At the very least he would've given us what Harry has: physicality/blocking on the perimeter. Not sure he would've developed much more as a pass-catcher than Harry has, given the nature of the Pats' offense.

Brown, on the other hand, would be a stud anywhere he ended up. Special player. That's the one I'm really bummed about -- not Metcalf.

Not convinced Metcalf would've been particularly great here. At the very least he would've given us what Harry has: physicality/blocking on the perimeter. Not sure he would've developed much more as a pass-catcher than Harry has, given the nature of the Pats' offense.

Brown, on the other hand, would be a stud anywhere he ended up. Special player. That's the one I'm really bummed about -- not Metcalf.

Yeah if anyone has really seen DK, he doesn't really separate unless it's running straight down the field and he outruns DBs. He out-physicals DBs on a lot of short or intermediate passes. I doubt he would have had the same success with Brady. Maybe in the redzone, but Brady likes guys who immediately gets separation like Godwin or AB or Edelman when he was here.

AJ Brown is the guy that we really should have drafted. He fits the versatility we are always looking for.

So why is it you think that Metcalf wouldn't excel here? There doesn't seem to be anything he cant do.

It's definitely been an ugly look. Harry has been hurt a fair bit and not lived up to his draft status when he has played, especially with quality and success of the WR drafted after him. I have to wonder about the metrics used to select Harry over some of the other players we passed on.
With all their rule changes to favor offense over the past 5 years, the NFL has created a game where speed and athleticism are more important than they have ever been. I hope that this is not lost on Bill.

Yeah if anyone has really seen DK, he doesn't really separate unless it's running straight down the field and he outruns DBs. He out-physicals DBs on a lot of short or intermediate passes. I doubt he would have had the same success with Brady. Maybe in the redzone, but Brady likes guys who immediately gets separation like Godwin or AB or Edelman when he was here.

AJ Brown is the guy that we really should have drafted. He fits the versatility we are always looking for.
Metcalf looks to be running plenty of routes just fine. I hate it when people just say things for the sake of saying things. He is a stud. He would have been a stud here. He has learned (pretty quickly) how to run routes at an NFL level. He can fly. He can jump. He is physical. You're telling me that the best coach in the history of the game couldn't work with those skills and get what the Seahawks are getting from him?

So why is it you think that Metcalf wouldn't excel here? There doesn't seem to be anything he cant do.
I doubt you’ll get a response. That’s the age old adage around here. “The offense is difficult. He wouldn’t have excelled here.” Doubtful. If that were the case, there would be a long line of WRs who were busts here then went on to have success elsewhere. There are exactly, hold on, let me check... zero of those instances happening in the BB era here.

Metcalf is going to succeed in any system. He's that good.

I doubt you’ll get a response. That’s the age old adage around here. “The offense is difficult. He wouldn’t have excelled here.” Doubtful. If that were the case, there would be a long line of WRs who were busts here then went on to have success elsewhere. There are exactly, hold on, let me check... zero of those instances happening in the BB era here.
Same thing everyone says about Chubb. "I am sure the clearly superior player and athlete would have not succeeded here with vasty superior coaching."

You can't just say that because 'x' player has physical talent, therefore they would succeed here with certainty. I mean, we just know that isn't always the case. No one said Metcalf isn't an impressive player; no one said that Metcalf would've played poorly here.

I simply said that not getting Brown stings more than missing out on Metcalf IMO - a pretty straightforward opinion. The Patriots' offense is notoriously difficult to learn; if it was as simple as taking a talented player and plugging them in, then we wouldn't have essays devoted to why the Patriots cannot evaluate receiving talent. Chad Jackson would be a good example.

AJ Brown has shown the versatility and consistent route-running that gives me more confidence that he would be an absolute stud here. Others are welcome to disagree of course - that's the nice thing about opinions on sports, they don't really matter.

You can't just say that because 'x' player has physical talent, therefore they would succeed here with certainty. I mean, we just know that isn't always the case. No one said Metcalf isn't an impressive player; no one said that Metcalf would've played poorly here.

I simply said that not getting Brown stings more than missing out on Metcalf IMO - a pretty straightforward opinion. The Patriots' offense is notoriously difficult to learn; if it was as simple as taking a talented player and plugging them in, then we wouldn't have essays devoted to why the Patriots cannot evaluate receiving talent. Chad Jackson would be a good example.

AJ Brown has shown the versatility and consistent route-running that gives me more confidence that he would be an absolute stud here. Others are welcome to disagree of course - that's the nice thing about opinions on sports, they don't really matter.
Either one would have been most welcome here. Brown is a joy to watch.

Metcalf's physical talents were apparent at the draft combine. As I recall, the concerns were why those other-worldly skills had not really translated to a dominant college career. You have to decide what data to trust, and apparently NE relied more on game results that, while not bad, were not as awe-inspiring as one might expect for such a physical beast.

The draft will always be an inexact science because you are juggling how to weigh what you see on the stopwatch, the game tape, the coach's evaluation, your interviews with the guy & his personality /motivation/ love for the game that you have to determine based on a tiny snapshot.

It was a miss, by many teams, including NE. To his credit, Metcalf has been motivated by his draft slide to work more on his craft.

If the OP wants to make this thread on topic about the Patriots, he can retitle it "Article about WR that could've been drafted instead of N'Keal Harry"

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back