PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chargers extend Herbert 5/262M

I’d say the Chargers mediocrity is much more on the coach/organization then on a QB who averaged 32 TDs per year in his early 20’s.

Just look at the Raiders / Chargers last game of the year in the season before last. Herbert played maybe the most clutch game I’ve seen from a QB in years and lost. Down by 2 TDs late he hit multiple 4th down throws and threw a TD with no time left to put the game to OT. Chargers of course gave up a score in OT to lose. Goes as a loss on Herbert but he was amazing in that 4th qtr.

Brandon Staley absolutely SUCKS as a HC and is Much more to blame for his team's shortcomings than his QB is. Ownership should've FIRED his ass after that Raiders loss.

Having said this, I also now believe the time has come to cap individual player salaries at No More than 9.1% (1/11th) of a team's overall budget.

Yep, Brandon Staley absolutely SUCKS as a HC and is Much more to blame for his team's shortcomings than his QB is.

Having said this, I also now believe the time has come to cap individual player salaries at No More than 9.1% (1/11th) of a team's overall budget.
At some point, we have to allow teams to shoot themselves in the foot for bad contracts. If they want to pay 40-50% of their cap on a marginal QB, they should have to suffer those consequences.

The salary cap and floor have already done enough to put training wheels on incompetent franchises. Let's not make it even easier for them.

Giants could easily be replaced by Chargers. I’m a card carrying Herbert hater. Overhyped / has done nothing but go approx .500

From Philip Rivers to…Philip Rivers.

But in seriousness I don’t share the same opinion of Herbert. I would take him to build a team over any QB except Mahomes or possibly Burrow. His game won’t fade and he’ll keep getting better. He’s a phenomenal QB already.

Can't say he is/isn't worth the money but compared to others in this price range he hasn't accomplished as much.

With that said Hebert is a talented QB who needs more talent around him. Better coaching as well.

Hes still making less than Jaylen Brown lol.

Chargers might be the only franchise to have so much talent on the roster for almost 20 years straight, yet only win 5 playoff wins since 2004.

Chargers might be the only franchise to have so much talent on the roster for almost 20 years straight, yet only win 5 playoff wins since 2004.
Wasting that Bosa kid on Defense.

They’re a unicorn in pro sports. No franchise has ever existed with this level of underperforming, choking, and disappointing. It was a foregone conclusion they’d lose after being up 28-0 when they surrendered the first TD.

Seriously....those mid/late 2000s teams were absolutely loaded with talent but just couldn't get past the conference elite.

Oh well.

Herbert is pretty good. Staley has been a garbage coach in his 2 years with LAC so far.

Chargers 10-7 last season
lost to the Chiefs by 3 points
lost to the Chiefs again by 3 points
lost to the Raiders by 7 points
lost to the Broncos by 3 points
got blown out twice

their OC was as bad as Patricia.
Herbert was injured all season
I expect them to be top 4 in the AFC this season

Wasting that Bosa kid on Defense.
They've wasted a lot of players careers.
They’re a unicorn in pro sports. No franchise has ever existed with this level of underperforming, choking, and disappointing. It was a foregone conclusion they’d lose after being up 28-0 when they surrendered the first TD.
During the Rivers' years, LA sports talk would laugh at the Chargers always being the "hottest team in the NFL" or "the team nobody wants to face come playoff time", yet they routinely found ways to miss the playoffs. The band Godsmack wrote a song inspired by Rivers crying on the sidelines when a kicker missed a field goal and they were eliminated from making the playoffs. The song is called "Cryin' like a *****".
They've won that many?
That's an average of one playoff win every 4 years. That's terrible.
Seriously....those mid/late 2000s teams were absolutely loaded with talent but just couldn't get past the conference elite.

Oh well.
2006 was their year and had the game against the Pats. Marty was wrongly the scapegoat as there's video evidence that came out many years later showing him telling all the DB's that if they intercept Tom Brady late in the game, to just get on the ground. Marlon McCree really blew it for the team.

Their defense in 2007 gave the Pats a scare, but Rivers still would've found a way to lose if he were healthy.

The teams after those weren't Super Bowl contenders anymore, but should've won way more playoff games than they did.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back