PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chargers extend Herbert 5/262M

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Man these guys are really getting paid. Herbert is good but what has he won?

Can’t wait to see what Burrow gets next.

The quarterback is obviously believed to be the most important player on the team

The quarterback is obviously believed to be the most important player on the team
Now that some are being paid based upon that belief we will start to see if it’s true.

They can’t do that because of the salary cap!

Mike D Nerds GIF by Beastie Boys

Believe or not, there is one person that disagrees.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Man these guys are really getting paid. Herbert is good but what has he won?

Can’t wait to see what Burrow gets next.

Who knows how exactly this is structured, but on the face of it, that's over $52M per season which is... yeah. I agree with you that this makes me very curious to see what Burrow gets, since they're in the same draft class. Mac is due next year, but so are Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, so the market may transform in strange ways. You have to figure Mac gets the lowest deal of those three next year, but is the "lowest" deal in 2024 as high or higher than this deal for Herbert?

Last edited:
Who knows how exactly this is structured, but on the face of it, that's over $52M per season which is... yeah. I agree with you that this makes me very curious to see what Burrow gets, since they're in the same draft class. Mac is due next year, but so are Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, so the market may transform in strange ways. You have to figure Mac gets the lowest deal of those three next year, but is the "lowest" deal in 2024 as high or higher than this deal for Herbert?
I would be surprised if Mac gets extended. He'll want more than NE is willing to give, and NE can control it through 2025 - or 2026 if they franchise him.

I would be surprised if Mac gets extended. He'll want more than NE is willing to give, and NE can control it through 2025 - or 2026 if they franchise him.
They certainly can just control him via the 5th year and then the franchise tag (which was only about $32M for QB this year, comparatively) through 2026, but that makes things pretty messy, and they'll have to come up with a succession plan. I feel like that probably won't happen personally. As long as Mac looks solid this year with BOB, Kraft will want to build the franchise around him as the long term "guy" at QB.

We have Mac for a min of 3 years if we want him on the cheap. Not worried about his contract as this year is a make or break for him.

For Mac to get close to Herbert’s deal he’s gonna have to have a hell of a season

Herbert avg TDs per season: 32
Mac avg TD per season: 18

For Mac to get close to Herbert’s deal he’s gonna have to have a hell of a season

Herbert avg TDs per season: 32
Mac avg TD per season: 18
One must only look at what Daniel Jones is making to know that’s probably not true.

One must only look at what Daniel Jones is making to know that’s probably not true.
The Giants are stupid and going no place fast.

It’s a head scratcher, but Daniel Jones is still $12m less per year than Herbert.

To get to Herbert type money Mac would have had to put together 3 really good years and be the QB for the foreseeable future. Even if he has a great year this year (30+ TD passes) the ceiling is probably Daniel Jones contract. The Pats do not like to pay big QB salaries.

They certainly can just control him via the 5th year and then the franchise tag (which was only about $32M for QB this year, comparatively) through 2026, but that makes things pretty messy, and they'll have to come up with a succession plan. I feel like that probably won't happen personally. As long as Mac looks solid this year with BOB, Kraft will want to build the franchise around him as the long term "guy" at QB.

The Dalton Plan

Yes we need more proof QB are the most important position on the field.

This is a very smart thing to say.
What I meant was if the importance justifies the cap hit.

The Giants are stupid and going no place fast.
Giants could easily be replaced by Chargers. I’m a card carrying Herbert hater. Overhyped / has done nothing but go approx .500

Giants could easily be replaced by Chargers. I’m a card carrying Herbert hater. Overhyped / has done nothing but go approx .500
I don't think the Spanos family actually cares, as long as the team seems competitive... It's been like that forever... They squandered those rivers/Tomlinson teams by ignoring the need for a good coach... No reason to think that will change for Hebert

Last edited:
Sad thing is you Know even if Mac has a great bounce back year hes gonna get paid. Unless Bill changes his philosophy about paying players he will be gone in 2 years.

So will Rhamondre Stevenson

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back