PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chargers extend Herbert 5/262M

With colleges going to more pro-style offenses, QBs are coming out more prepared to play in the NFL.

QBs like Mahomes/Brady are worth anything you give them. QBs like Mahomes/Brady are unicorns.

Unless Mac knocks it out of the stadium this year, the Pats will probably draft a QB next year, ride Mac through 24, Zappe in 25 until replaced by another kid...

I don't know (but doubt) if I would have done this deal with Herbert, I think he's overrated. I know I wouldn't have done the deal with Jones.
Burrow, on the other hand, will probably get 600m/5.

You have to wonder what the other players are going to be thinking when a guy making 50 times their money makes a bonehead play to lose a game.

Giants could easily be replaced by Chargers. I’m a card carrying Herbert hater. Overhyped / has done nothing but go approx .500
Dang 25-24 record for JH - not unlike 31-28 for DWatson with his 5yr 230mil. That being said, PManning was 32-32 after 4 years, and he turned out alright (but he did have a 13-3 record his 2nd year which shows much greater promise).

the salaries are getting disgusting.. and actually starts to make it more difficult to root for these players, the money is just getting absolutely absurd

remember when a QB had to actually win a SB to get into the top tier of pay? now a QB can have his team at .500 year after year and get a quarter billion dollar contract for it

gross

Dang 25-24 record for JH - not unlike 31-28 for DWatson with his 5yr 230mil. That being said, PManning was 32-32 after 4 years, and he turned out alright (but he did have a 13-3 record his 2nd year which shows much greater promise).
Manning was what ? 3 wins first season ? Much different than three years of mediocrity.

He had a statistically significant dropoff in his play in year 3 too, you know, when teams had 30 games of film on him already.

Now that some are being paid based upon that belief we will start to see if it’s true.
Quarterback has always been the highest paid position in football. What are we even talking about?

Andy Reid or BB could win with Herbert or Watson.

Not sure how many other coaches will ever take them to a SB championship.

They can’t do that because of the salary cap!
Teams can do whatever they want and there’s zero consequences because the cap doesn’t exist… ask the Rams.

Giants could easily be replaced by Chargers. I’m a card carrying Herbert hater. Overhyped / has done nothing but go approx .500
You’re blaming Herbert for his team sucking.

Sad thing is you Know even if Mac has a great bounce back year hes gonna get paid. Unless Bill changes his philosophy about paying players he will be gone in 2 years.

So will Rhamondre Stevenson
He made Tom one of the highest paid players in the league, Gronk, Mankins, DMC and others as well.

As far as Rhamondre goes… is anyone paying the RB position?

With colleges going to more pro-style offenses, QBs are coming out more prepared to play in the NFL.

QBs like Mahomes/Brady are worth anything you give them. QBs like Mahomes/Brady are unicorns.

Unless Mac knocks it out of the stadium this year, the Pats will probably draft a QB next year, ride Mac through 24, Zappe in 25 until replaced by another kid...

I don't know (but doubt) if I would have done this deal with Herbert, I think he's overrated. I know I wouldn't have done the deal with Jones.
Burrow, on the other hand, will probably get 600m/5.

You have to wonder what the other players are going to be thinking when a guy making 50 times their money makes a bonehead play to lose a game.
You nailed it completely I said this last year Herbert is overrated Cinci might as well give Burrow $600Mill now he's just Clutch.

You’re blaming Herbert for his team sucking.
In part, yes. Mostly, I’m saying « if he was as great - the sure HoFer - that everyone keeps thinking he is » he’d be more than a .500 QB with nothing to show in the playoffs.

The team has all kinds of stars on D and they have a good squad on O. The fact that they are mediocre falls on coaching, health, and a QB that puts up big numbers in a season, but always comes up short in the biggest spots.

Manning was what ? 3 wins first season ? Much different than three years of mediocrity.
I’d say the Chargers mediocrity is much more on the coach/organization then on a QB who averaged 32 TDs per year in his early 20’s.

Just look at the Raiders / Chargers last game of the year in the season before last. Herbert played maybe the most clutch game I’ve seen from a QB in years and lost. Down by 2 TDs late he hit multiple 4th down throws and threw a TD with no time left to put the game to OT. Chargers of course gave up a score in OT to lose. Goes as a loss on Herbert but he was amazing in that 4th qtr.

In part, yes. Mostly, I’m saying « if he was as great - the sure HoFer - that everyone keeps thinking he is » he’d be more than a .500 QB with nothing to show in the playoffs.

The team has all kinds of stars on D and they have a good squad on O. The fact that they are mediocre falls on coaching, health, and a QB that puts up big numbers in a season, but always comes up short in the biggest spots.
Crappy coaching, soft defenses that can’t stop the run… we’ve seen great QB’s on bad teams before, the verdict is in. It’s a team game.

Not gonna lie part of me was hoping Herbert would choose to hit FA.

You'd think at least once there'd be a guy who said thanks but no thanks, I want to weigh my options after my rookie deal, I'll take the injury risk and gain the freedom of choice.

Not gonna lie part of me was hoping Herbert would choose to hit FA.

You'd think at least once there'd be a guy who said thanks but no thanks, I want to weigh my options after my rookie deal, I'll take the injury risk and gain the freedom of choice.
The Tag would nullify the thought it's a protection against freedom of choice.

I see a lot of "what has he won" or looking at his record to justify opinions. Which really isn't useful or a efficient way to look at these things. I can not a lot of posters are watching the Chargers either.

He was beat up last year. Torn labrum, fractured rib cartilage. His OL was injured and makeshift most of the year. And all his WRs missed multiple games.

Then you have the offense. People make excuses for Mac but hold other QB's to a ridiculous standard (Jackson, Herbert, Burrow) Lombardi was almost as bad as Patricia and made everything very tough on that offense. Nothing was easy and when it was easy it was still hard. When other teams hit or make it easy on themselves. They get explosive plays, game changing plays, TD etc. The Chargers would get a 8 yard gain where the target is immediately tackled. No help from the OC.

If you don't know that Herbert is one of the best passers out there. Easy top 5-10 QB I don't know what to say. You don't not pay great players bc they haven't won it all in 3-4 years. Anyone watching that teams sees a QB being held back.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back