PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Amendola “Bill hasn’t been known to pay his players”

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a rule, BB doesn't pony up the bucks. However, there are times, and players, where he does. This shouldn't be controversial, in either direction.

Every story about the Pats is prevailing until the next story :) but this one doesn't really suck to me.

The irony is that DA is probably relieved just to be able to give his thoughts about another coach. That's something that he could never do when he played for Bill.
Miami coaches are so fun remember the hooker cocaine loving Line coach Danny enjoy the blow and getting blowed on south beach we will enjoy competing for a lombardi.

Miami coaches are so fun remember the hooker cocaine loving Line coach Danny enjoy the blow and getting blowed on south beach we will enjoy competing for a lombardi.

Miami was a playoff team that lost their QB last year and is the last AFCE winner not named Patriots. I wouldn't look past them.

Miami was a playoff team that lost their QB last year and is the last AFCE winner not named Patriots. I wouldn't look past them.

I never look past Miami but let's be honest they were a playoff team in '16 because they went 10-6 against literally the easiest schedule in the league and had one win against a team over .500.

I never look past Miami but let's be honest they were a playoff team in '16 because they went 10-6 against literally the easiest schedule in the league and had one win against a team over .500.
Pats 1-4 in Miami last 5 seasons; it's as close to a guaranteed loss as there is on the Patriots schedule

Pats 1-4 in Miami last 5 seasons; it's as close to a guaranteed loss as there is on the Patriots schedule

Over the last 7 seasons the Patriots have made it to the AFCCG while the Lolphins have made one playoff appearance.

As a rule, BB doesn't pony up the bucks. However, there are times, and players, where he does. This shouldn't be controversial, in either direction.

Someone was actually ridiculous enough to use the disagree regarding the above.

rofl.gif

The article uses quotes from April, which were about the pay issues, but the podcast which was just released Thursday morning is where Dola talks about how:

- "Coach Gase is one of the guys. He’s our leader, he’s our head coach, but he’s also our boy. So it’s cool. It’s refreshing to have that kind of relationship with a coach, something I haven’t had in a long time. I facetimed coach Gase yesterday just to bulls–t with him..."
- “Coach Gase is one of the guys, one of the boys, and you want to fight hard for your boys. Back in New England, it’s almost like you’ve got a principal, the principal’s office and s–t like that,”

That is news, and newsworthy I think, because it's yet another player/ex-player comparing BB's style with another coach who's more "fun" and "cool", and how he's more motivated to be playing for the latter. It's becoming the prevailing story of this awful off-season, so far, and it...sucks!

Is this the same podcast that Danny Amendola also calls BB the great coach of all time as well? I haven’t personally but my collueges were telling me about it.

We all like to be respected at our work place. Sometimes having a pain in the ass boss helps to achieve your goal faster. If not anything else it motivates you to acquire skills to find a better job.

This is shocking.

I have never heard this before.

I am willing to give DA a bit of a pass here. He did take some serious pay cuts and was absolutely clutch when we needed him most. That said, no one forced him to take any pay cuts and the benefit of fiscal responsibility is that the Patriots can field a team with quality depth and consistently go deep into the playoffs.

It really comes down to how much you value money versus winning. The places that "pay" players (and by "pay," the players really mean "overpay") typically don't win for long, or don't win at all.

The Miami is the poster child of terrible contracts recently. They radically overpaid Amendola. That will be shown.

When I was but a child, hearing a player on my favorite team describe the coach as "one of the guys" would delight me. "The players would play hard for such a man!!"

Now, with the benefit of many years and the wisdom of experience, I know there is no surer sign of the apocalypse. God have mercy on you, Miami, because the rest of the league will not.

No hard feelings for Danny - played his butt off in NE. I think he’s talking about “doing what’s right for the family” in the future tense since he’s a bachelor.

Last edited:
Amendola was a warrior with the Patriots. One of my all-time favorites. He's tied with John Stallworth in career playoff receptions, one catch behind Troy Brown.

Amendola opted for more money and lower expectations at age 32. He has a coach he can FaceTime with, and is single with $6 million and South Beach ready to show him a great time. After all he's done in the NFL, that is his right. I wish him the very best.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed and Danny is an aging player.

He has been around long enough to know how it works. A younger players can do his job for a fraction of the cost.
How can one person be so wrong so often?
Amendolas miamixibtraxt is guaranteed for $6,000,000.
That’s about double what he made his last 2 years in New England when he was forced to take pay cuts.

Danny Amendola
Current Contract
Contract: 2 yr(s) / $12,000,000
Signing Bonus -
Average Salary $6,000,000
Total Guarantees $6,000,000
Guaranteed at Signing $6,000,000
Free Agent: 2020 / UFA

Someone was actually ridiculous enough to use the disagree regarding the above.

rofl.gif

I saw that. The only thing to disagree with is whether it might be controversial the way the Patriots manage their cap space. They pass on players because they're not will to get out of balance between position groups, nor, in most cases, pay one guy in a specific position so much that they sacrifice depth and versatility.

There have been plenty of controversial decisions - Mankins, Seymour, Talib, Chandler Jones, Welker, and since we're in an Amendola thread, him too. I wish they'd hung onto Dion Lewis, but it's not essential given the depth of the 2018 group. For every position where people say they don't pay, I can name a player they did pay - both their own guys and people they brought in. Brady, McCourty, Hightower, Gilmore come to mind. Gronk is due an extension. They paid Cooks market rate. Amendola originally signed a market deal and opted to take cuts to stay with a contender.

Controversy is okay in this context, but the Patriots have always spent their money and kept enough cap money in the bank to sign quality veteran FAs or make trades in-season when injuries strike or guys tune out.

I think a lot of people on this board would benefit from having Miguel Benzan around in the cap threads. I miss his insights on the board.

How can one person be so wrong so often?
Amendolas miamixibtraxt is guaranteed for $6,000,000.
That’s about double what he made his last 2 years in New England when he was forced to take pay cuts.

Danny Amendola
Current Contract
Contract: 2 yr(s) / $12,000,000
Signing Bonus -
Average Salary $6,000,000
Total Guarantees $6,000,000
Guaranteed at Signing $6,000,000
Free Agent: 2020 / UFA

You just continue to embarrass yourself. Knowledgeable Pats fans know that -

Almendola gave back money the last 2 seasons on his Pats contract to stay in NE. His NE contract was not guaranteed. This fact needs to be explained only to you.

The Dolphins overpaid for Almendola because they believe that he will bring a Super Bowl winning attitude and change the team culture. Which never works. Ask Branch, Seymour, Revis, Mankins all about that.

A 32 year old player can be replaced with a much younger player for a fraction of the cost. The Patriots have done this time and time again.

The Dolphins gave Almendola 6 million for 1 season. He found a team stupid enough to give him that much money and 1 low information Pats fan that thinks that was a good idea.

DA may have to ingratiate himself with a new fan base, one which may not like the Patriots very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back