PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Alex Smith - 60 Minutes

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Anyone watch the piece on him on 60-minutes? Absolutely crazy to see what he went through and what his leg looks like now. The fracture he suffered was horrific and it was so bad, he actually spent time in a military rehab facility because the injury was similar to what many of those guys have been through. They also showed his leg, which is now a complete mess visually due to all the muscle tissue he lost from the infection he dealt with.

We all look at these injuries and just assume that with extended healing, rehab, etc. these guys will get somewhat back to normal eventually. His story was definitely eye-opening and I thought it was interesting during rehab at that facility, they teach guys that it's OK to want to battle to get back to doing what they were doing before they got hurt vs accepting just being happy with being able to function normally. I thought that was one of the more interesting aspects that changed my opinion about him wanting to come back instead of just tapping out and retiring.

It's a great story, although I don't know what's going to happen past this season. Either way, definitely wish him the best, seeing all the behind-the-scenes stuff was certainly interesting and you definitely can't say enough about what he's gone through.

saw that... eek in re the leg... but hell he overcame it, and well deserves the next 5 or 6 comeback player of the year awards... If that injury happened only 10 years ago, he'd be lucky to be walking on that leg, let alone playing football... makes one wonder at the advancements in surgery, medicine and physical rehab to get him back into game shape...

Seriously if you looked at a picture of his leg at one point you would think it was pretty much a goner. I’m very happy he returned. Hope he can find success somewhere

Reactions: Ian
20-months of rehab!!

This is one of the reasons why I'll always support players over coaches. It's also why I was furious over Mike Tomlin's attempted tripping of a player on the field and the smirk on his face after he did it. I would have liked to smash that smirk off his fat face. The same goes for the league's headhunters and the coaches who teach that filthy play.

It is hard to feel sorry for pro athletes but Smith and a few others are the exception. He was very good in both SF and KC but got sent packing by both. Then he lands in Washington and has that awful injury. My hat goes off to Smith. If there is a player that deserves to win a SB, it's him.

Saw that. He went through Hell and kept pushing himself. Crazy that they cleared him even though the leg was not 100% yet.

• Agree
I've got to hand it to Alex Smith as he flat out wouldn't quit. I watched his entire 49ers career and he was a terrible QB until Harbaugh arrived. In fact, he really had no business being the #1 overall pick. Whether that was due to Harbaugh's arrival or a light bulb going off, he has been a very serviceable QB.

If the Washington Whatevers cut him, I'd welcome him as a dark horse candidate to bridge the QB gap we've got now.

Can’t imagine a tougher dude. I hope he gets the success he deserves.

I've got to hand it to Alex Smith as he flat out wouldn't quit. I watched his entire 49ers career and he was a terrible QB until Harbaugh arrived. In fact, he really had no business being the #1 overall pick. Whether that was due to Harbaugh's arrival or a light bulb going off, he has been a very serviceable QB.
The ability of Smith to resurrect his career several years in was a story in itself

Rehab is tough physically and mentally.

When I tore my acl, mcl, pcl and the patella tendon, I got a detailed road map/time line explaining all about the pain and the physical recovery from the injury, but no one can prepare you for the mental anguish and drain.

there were so many mornings where my mind just wanted me to pack it in and go back to bed. The mental war was exhausting, you have to keep pushing yourself.

for smith, who had it much worse than anything I had to overcome, to come all the way back is amazing! I have nothing but admiration for him!

That leg picture makes me wanna order some Texas style brisket from a BBQ place around here.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back