APF diatribe in 5, 4, 3...

Definition of diatribe
1 : a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing
2 : ironic or satirical criticism
3 archaic : a prolonged discourse
See diatribe defined for English-language learners

See diatribe defined for kids

Examples of diatribe in a Sentence

… his apparent inability to keep his pen from drifting from the main objective of his words into diatribe must have taken away from the sound and otherwise convincing arguments that he advanced. —Henry Petroski, Engineers of Dreams, 1995

I looked … and listened to her ahistorical and apolitical diatribe. Her comments were a more extreme form of the kind of Pats bashing I've often heard … Apologies to Itabari Njeri, "Sushi and Grits," in Lure and Loathing, 1993 - The Year The Unholy Abomination Was Perpetrated

History of diatribe

In modern times, a diatribe is not something most of us want to endure:

Our fellow poster continually subjects us to a lengthy diatribe about how terrible the team's replacement logo is.

I'd prefer a reasoned argument to the diatribes that typically litter patsfans.com's forums.

That wasn't true in the word's early days, though.

When English speakers adopted diatribe in the late 16th century, they were glancing back at the ancients. The word comes from Greek diatribē, meaning "pastime" or "discourse," by way of Latin diatriba. The English word first referred to the popular lectures of ancient Greek and Roman philosophers, the usual topic of which was ethics.

When the word diatribe referred to written work in this context, that work was understood to be either a transcription of such a lecture, or a written development of one. According to some, these oral and written diatribes were the model on which modern sermons were built.

Over time, this very specific meaning of diatribe developed a more general meaning that didn't require the ancients themselves: any prolonged discourse—written or oral—could be considered a diatribe. That sense of the word, however, is now archaic; you don't typically find it in modern contexts.

When diatribe is used today, the connotation is quite different. The word most often refers to a bitter or abusive speech or piece of writing, as in the examples given above.

Waiting with popcorn for our favorite logo poster to give his response
I already can hear him breathing heavily.

I like the current logo and have multiple apparel items bearing it. I also have a few with Pat Patriot. I think the current logo put a contemporary spin on the "patriot" tradition and has an appealing kinetic aspect to it suggesting forward motion. That slight abstraction makes it versatile beyond the static (and dated) early '60s vintage cartoon character that looks like a vague tripod image from any distance.

A 5th grader drawing his Dad at least cares about his subject, as opposed to a carpetbagger shopping Logos R Us for something off the discount rack.
...which is virtually identical to the ugly thing that was booed out of the stadium by every Pats fan in attendance

This article was no doubt written by someone who has been butt-hurt by the Pats. They lost me upon the opening of the article but the icing on the cake was ranking the Redskins logo, which has a lot of people legitimately hurt, several spots above ours. LOL, we're in the cellar again.
It's okay to love Flying Elvis.

The best way to forget ones self is to look at the world with attention and love.

-Red Auerbach

(easy for him to say, look at the Celts today!...sorry)

I already can hear him breathing heavily.

I like the current logo and have multiple apparel items bearing it. I also have a few with Pat Patriot. I think the current logo put a contemporary spin on the "patriot" tradition and has an appealing kinetic aspect to it suggesting forward motion. That slight abstraction makes it versatile beyond the static (and dated) early '60s vintage cartoon character that looks like a vague tripod image from any distance.
You have an employment opportunity from the NFL Commissioner's office...

[hhuuuuhh, huuhhhhh; hhuuuuhh huuuuuuhhhhhh...]

...which is virtually identical to the ugly thing that was booed out of the stadium by every Pats fan in attendance

I was at that game, the only time I ever heard Pats fans boo harder was at Goodell. That logo, while similar and equally soulless , was far from identical.

I was at that game, the only time I ever heard Pats fans boo harder was at Goodell. That logo, while similar and equally soulless , was far from identical.
the star? the face?? Uuuuugggghhhh

upload_2018-5-14_16-35-23.png

I must be in the minority who is fine with either, even if neither really do much for me. And while I actually like the patterns of the newer uniforms, the old red uniforms are some of the best in football.

I must be in the minority who is fine with either, even if neither really do much for me. And while I actually like the patterns of the newer uniforms, the old red uniforms are some of the best in football.

The old unis were definitely among the best all time, right up there with the Chargers baby blues or Niners classics

Personally I like it, but I know I'm in the minority.

I was born in 86 so I'm Flying Elvis all the way, the 90's jerseys were a little lame but the style we've had for the past 20 years or so kicks ass IMO.
I love anything 90's. Back then I didn't think the logos were too much on each side of the shoulder pads but their uniforms were unique. I also liked the checkered pattern on the jereseys.

I’m with you man. The huge logos on the 90s jerseys were too much but this current set of unis we’ve had are pretty clean, especially the road whites.
I'd like to see them alternate the road jersey's with gray pants. I'm not a huge fan of the away socks.

Do you think we could trade a first, third and Jordan Richards over to Dallas for their star?
Dallas would be overpaying.

The 3 ugliest logos in the NFL.

#1 - The Ratbird Baltimore Logo

#2 - The Tennessee Titans (yawn so boring)

#3 The Denver Broncos blatant ripoff of the defunct CFL's Baltimore Stallions logo.
I think the Ravens is pretty clean. Ditto with the Broncos. The Titans are awful.

I think the "Flying Elvis" logo would look better if he had a meaner face as he has with the "Pat Patriot logo". The Pats are definitely due for a redesign on the uniforms and a logo tweak. I'd like to see them get rid of the home grey stripes on the jersey's or add a little more color to it. It's just very boring looking. The blue stripes have more of a pop on the away jersey's.

@Actual Pats Fan

Thanks brother. You haven't disappointed. Always entertaining and informative!

The guy went into a diatribe about diatribes what's not to love.
terrell-owens-popcorn.jpg

And the Browns logo? is ranked where?

I liked Pat better but I am okay with the current logo.
Like bormio said ... the red uniforms were the BOMB!

Honestly I don't like either one. Pat is about as interesting as the winking Buccanneer, which was a bad joke. it's too complicated to be a useful modern logo. The Flying Elvis isn't really any better, but neither the Elvis or the Pat is really an option to me.

I think we need to divorce the Patriots from the Revolutionary War era. Patriotism transcends era after all.

Personally I favor using something very similar to the US roundel.

File:US Roundel 1943-1943 No Outline.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Start with something like that, and find a way to make it our own. Use it to honor the troops of all eras rather than call back to a war over two centuries ago.

I dunno, that's just what I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back