PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Mueller was a mediocre NFL exec. There will be a lot of “names” released between now and next month. But, teams even with a shrinking cap will still find a way to keep their really good players.

High priced free agency has almost always been a fool’s folly and it won’t be different this off-season. The Patriots know this so don’t look for them to overpay for a bunch of guys whose game no longer matches their notoriety just so they can win the off season but lose when the games start like all those other teams we’ve laughed at over the last 20 years.

It would be good if a team or two screws up like the Bills in 2017 letting Stephon Gilmore hit free agency, so the Pats can pounce and add an impact player, but that doesn’t happen all that often.

I’m thinking a lot of us are going to be very disappointed over the next month or so. Of course, that is better than being disappointed in September when we find out that Hunter Henry isn’t a difference maker worth $12 million a year.

We all love draft choices, but let’s not fool ourselves as a significant portion of those picks never pan out. If you really want to turn this around quickly, use some of your picks and your cap space to trade for good players that some teams in bad cap shape won’t just let go for nothing but might be willing to trade to improve their cap if they got something of value in return.

A comment in the Asante thread inspired me to post the following:

BB is historically considered miserly when it comes to elite talent in free agency. However, because this year's cap is going to be a decline, it's possible that even the elite, or at least the near-elite, talent will take a hit as part of that. And, if that turns out to be the case, we could possibly see Bill deciding that he's getting enough of a "bargain" to be a bit more willing to sign some truly high end players.

I'm not predicting it, but I could see BB's thought process inspiring such moves.

Randy Mueller was a mediocre NFL exec. There will be a lot of “names” released between now and next month. But, teams even with a shrinking cap will still find a way to keep their really good players.

High priced free agency has almost always been a fool’s folly and it won’t be different this off-season. The Patriots know this so don’t look for them to overpay for a bunch of guys whose game no longer matches their notoriety just so they can win the off season but lose when the games start like all those other teams we’ve laughed at over the last 20 years.

It would be good if a team or two screws up like the Bills in 2017 letting Stephon Gilmore hit free agency, so the Pats can pounce and add an impact player, but that doesn’t happen all that often.

I’m thinking a lot of us are going to be very disappointed over the next month or so. Of course, that is better than being disappointed in September when we find out that Hunter Henry isn’t a difference maker worth $12 million a year.

We all love draft choices, but let’s not fool ourselves as a significant portion of those picks never pan out. If you really want to turn this around quickly, use some of your picks and your cap space to trade for good players that some teams in bad cap shape won’t just let go for nothing but might be willing to trade to improve their cap if they got something of value in return.
Everything you said is 100% accurate except for you left out a small detail. Every year BB did what you are saying, he had the GOAT to hide the lack of elite talent by winning. He got away with it because of the GOAT.

Now, the team not only lost the GOAT but has no QB (of any worth) at all. In addition, the team lacks a lot of talent. The team is pretty bad. He better change things fast, whatever he did in the past ain't gonna work.

With money burning a hole in his pocket, could BB decide to buy a long term solution kicker?

FREE AGENT KICKERS - 2021

Rank Player Status Age '20 Team
1 Younghoe Koo UFA 26 ATL
2 Zane Gonzalez UFA 25 ARI
3 Mike Badgley RFA 25 LAC
4 Daniel Carlson RFA 26 LV
5 Joey Slye ERFA 24 CAR
6 Matt Prater UFA 36 DET
7 Stephen Gostkowski UFA 37 TEN
8 Dustin Hopkins UFA 30 WAS
9 Randy Bullock UFA 31CIN
10 Ryan Succop UFA 34 TB
11 Nick Folk UFA 36 NE
12 Cairo Santos UFA 29 CHI
13 Cody Parkey UFA 29 CLE
14Eddy PineiroRFA25CHI

A comment in the Asante thread inspired me to post the following:

BB is historically considered miserly when it comes to elite talent in free agency. However, because this year's cap is going to be a decline, it's possible that even the elite, or at least the near-elite, talent will take a hit as part of that. And, if that turns out to be the case, we could possibly see Bill deciding that he's getting enough of a "bargain" to be a bit more willing to sign some truly high end players.

I'm not predicting it, but I could see BB's thought process inspiring such moves.

My guess about Bill being miserly:

(A) It's rare that a really elite player actually makes it to free agency; a lot of these "top guys" on the market aren't close to being the top guys at their position, but they get paid like it. Typically, they'd be franchised or extended if they were that great. When you're a 12+ win team year after year, you don't overpay to bring in guys like that, even if you happen to have a need at the position.

(B) If we think of it that every team has maybe 4-5 highly paid, core players to build around (elite, top 5 at their position contracts), then Bill prefers to give those limited, valuable slots to homegrown players who have proven to fit into the system and don't pose a bust risk: Brady, Gronkowski, Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, Mason, McCourty, Mayo, Hightower, Law, etc. It's another subject beyond this topic, but I also believe some positions are much more valuable than others when it comes to Bill's payroll.

(C) Sometimes he'll surprise us if a great player hits the market and is actually worth setting the market for, like Gilmore. Of course, we've also seen that culture fit problem (Adalius Thomas). And, of course, the valuable position and the urgent need merging for a one-year deal (Revis.)

So, it will be interesting to see how he approaches this free agency, considering that guys are usuall brought in are for depth and positions like WR2, CB2, run stopping D-Linemen, B-level OLB, tweener depth linemen, and other non-superstar guys expected to be rotational players. I think the only comparable year to this is 2003 when he brought in Colvin and Harrison, but even then, the team had their quarterback and a large part of their roster going into free agency.

Doesn't seem like the most durable player, but LB is a position of need. Would love to upgrade Bentley and Copeland. Hopefully Hightower is back, but I'd love to keep Uche and Winovich as primarily rush players. Milano would give us someone else in the middle.

Doesn't seem like the most durable player, but LB is a position of need. Would love to upgrade Bentley and Copeland. Hopefully Hightower is back, but I'd love to keep Uche and Winovich as primarily rush players. Milano would give us someone else in the middle.
If Texans release benardrick McKinney, bb better snatch him up!

Trade Gilmore to Browns for a #3rd round pick + Njoku (TE)
Has Gilmore indicated if he'll ask for a new deal yet? I'm wondering why people are so quick to unload him for a 3rd round pick. Njoku seems like he wouldn't last a week working for BB and Gilmore is basically our best player. Maybe a 2nd rounder we unload him? Probably no one will do that though if he wants a new deal.

Then draft Surtain with # 15.

6 -2 tall
200 lbs
21 years old.

2 holes filled. There is no point in taking a QB with # 15 because he would struggle in year # 1.

Let's trade away our best player on D and replace him with this guy. Think of all the cap space we can gain.

20210220_175055.jpg

LMFAO

Has Gilmore indicated if he'll ask for a new deal yet? I'm wondering why people are so quick to unload him for a 3rd round pick. Njoku seems like he wouldn't last a week working for BB and Gilmore is basically our best player. Maybe a 2nd rounder we unload him? Probably no one will do that though if he wants a new deal.
Njoku is wasting away in Cleveland.

2017 Dshone Kizer was the QB his rookie year.
2018 Mayfield started year 2 and Njoku had a respectable season 600 yards - 4 TDs - 63% catch rate.
2019 IR and missed most of the season
2020 Barely saw the ball with 29 targets all season. The other TE saw 70 targets.

I would not mind signing either Godwin or Allen Robinson. Both of these guys are good character guys.

With money burning a hole in his pocket, could BB decide to buy a long term solution kicker?

FREE AGENT KICKERS - 2021

Rank Player Status Age '20 Team
1 Younghoe Koo UFA 26 ATL
2 Zane Gonzalez UFA 25 ARI
3 Mike Badgley RFA 25 LAC
4 Daniel Carlson RFA 26 LV
5 Joey Slye ERFA 24 CAR
6 Matt Prater UFA 36 DET
7 Stephen Gostkowski UFA 37 TEN
8 Dustin Hopkins UFA 30 WAS
9 Randy Bullock UFA 31CIN
10 Ryan Succop UFA 34 TB
11 Nick Folk UFA 36 NE
12 Cairo Santos UFA 29 CHI
13 Cody Parkey UFA 29 CLE
14Eddy PineiroRFA25CHI

top two Koo & Carlson are ERFA & RFA so they are staying put unless BB pulls a Welker on Carlson :)
Carlson is dome and had 2 avg years before.
Very volatile position, most guys with some extreme ups&downs. Interesting to see how BB goes carrying two struggling youngsters on the roster..

How
top two Koo & Carlson are ERFA & RFA so they are staying put unless BB pulls a Welker on Carlson :)
Carlson is dome and had 2 avg years before.
Very volatile position, most guys with some extreme ups&downs. Interesting to see how BB goes carrying two struggling youngsters on the roster..
i like Zane Gonzalez if he is reasonable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing