PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 million isn't exactly peanuts for a player of his ilk. He's replaceable

Not peanuts in the money sense but thought he would’ve gotten a multiyear commitment from someone. Thought Karras had a solid season.

They have no money under the cap and he was kind of a luxury. I don't support the move but once they franchised Thuney it almost seemed inevitable.

Harmon wasn't a luxury considering we might also move on from Chung.

Poor drafting for years has crippled the team for the immediate future

tenor.gif

Harmon wasn't a luxury considering we might also move on from Chung.

As of right now he is a luxury. What happens next with Chung has no bearing on the roster as of 3/18/2020. If he was still on the roster when they moved Chung he would cease to be a luxury. Besides I figure they're probably going with a twin McCourty safety approach with both of them starting.

Poor drafting for years has crippled the team for the immediate future
Yep. Yet some on here will defend some of these recent drafts at all costs.

so three hours before free agency actually starts, the Pats have already secured 4 more comp picks for next years draft (3,4,4,6).

As of right now he is a luxury. What happens next with Chung has no bearing on the roster as of 3/18/2020. If he was still on the roster when they moved Chung he would cease to be a luxury. Besides I figure they're probably going with a twin McCourty safety approach with both of them starting.

I could get behind the idea of an all McCourty safety group, but I don't know if the team has shown any indication that's in the works. On the flip side, the team has also not shown any indication they feel the same way about Chung as I do (he's done IMO).

I am all for a blow up and complete rebuild. Keeping McCourty and Slater will allow you to have some of the glue guys who know how to win when the going gets tough (and I suspect it will for a little while). Aside from them I am fine rolling with Stidham (or Kessler if Stidham sucks) and seeing what Harry, Joejuan Williams, Harris, and Wino can do with expanded roles. Letting Brady walk ripped off the bandaid so at this point I want to see a youth movement and sacrifice the present for the future.

Yep. Yet some on here will defend some of these recent drafts at all costs.
The drafts that are causing the current cap crunch are 2017, 2018 and 2019; any players from earlier drafts would be on their 2nd contract right now and costing money against the cap (Thuney for example). I guess there’s also the 5th year option for the 2016 first rounder, but Goodell stole that one.

There’s no doubt the 2017 draft was a disaster and is hurting the team, although they were fortunate to get Jonathan Jones as a UDFA. If Wynn and Sony can stay healthy maybe they can salvage the 2018 draft. We’ll have to see about the 2019 draft, that 4th round pick is turning out to be quite critical in whether or not it’s a success.

I know everyone (alot of people?) are freaking out about our lack of activity, however, we have:
- Develin off IR
- Sanu fully healthy
- A healthy Edelman
- Harry with a full offseason
- Gostkowski back
- Gunner back
- Isiah Wynn fully healthy
- Cajuste in the mix at T
- Andrews coming back?

Anyways, none of those are going to be huge additions on their own... however, that a is really solid list of players that will be be (presumably) better versions than last year.

I know everyone (alot of people?) are freaking out about our lack of activity, however, we have:
- Develin off IR
- Sanu fully healthy
- A healthy Edelman
- Gostkowski back
- Gunner back
- Andrews coming back?

Anyways, none of those are going to be huge additions on their own... however, that a is really solid list of players that will be be (presumably) better versions than last year.
I won’t be excited about Sanu til I see the word traded or released next to his name

- Develin off IR
- Sanu fully healthy
- A healthy Edelman
- Gostkowski back
- Gunner back
- Andrews coming back?

Are we sure Develin is coming back? Neck injuries are scary for NFL players but for fullbacks doubly so.

And while I understand your optimism on the injury front, players will get hurt in 2020. We need as much quality depth as possible to withstand that.

The drafts that are causing the current cap crunch are 2017, 2018 and 2019; any players from earlier drafts would be on their 2nd contract right now and costing money against the cap (Thuney for example). I guess there’s also the 5th year option for the 2016 first rounder, but Goodell stole that one.

There’s no doubt the 2017 draft was a disaster and is hurting the team, although they were fortunate to get Jonathan Jones as a UDFA. If Wynn and Sony can stay healthy maybe they can salvage the 2018 draft. We’ll have to see about the 2019 draft, that 4th round pick is turning out to be quite critical in whether or not it’s a success.
If Wynn can stay healthy and stay at tackle I wouldn't call the class a complete loss but right now it is looking pretty bad. He played okay to good last year when he came back but I am still not sure that he doesn't end up a guard. Bentley looks like Brandon Spikes 2.0, serviceable but limited. I don't care what anyone says Sony is a bust and a waste of a pick.

QB trade: Jacksonville is trading QB Nick Foles to Chicago for the Bears’ compensatory fourth-round pick, sources tell ESPN. Bears’ coaches such as Matt Nagy have worked with Foles in past and know him well.

Should we make a offer for Trubisky?
Lol half joking

For a 4th round draft pick? I would take Foles in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes