PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OH NO! (ref assignments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 3-5 with Blakeman stat is scary...

It would be interesting to see what the average combined winning percentage of the related teams (3-5) is and compare it to the pats winning percentage over the same period. If only I had an ounce of ambition.

I thought Torbert's crew on the whole did a fine job last week. And Steratore and Vinovich are two of the best in the game, so I would have no problem with them either. I forget the 4th ref, but don't recall any major issues there either.

The thing that makes least sense about how playoffs are handled are those all-star ref crews.

If I'm not mistaken, won't one of the crews from this round also get the Superbowl?

The rumor (via footballzebras on twitter) is that Steratore is the SB ref.

Do not worry grasshoppers, great teams overcome anything...

I generally agree with you, but there's nagging concern in the back of my mind that "fudging" things in favor of what they might consider to be in the league's overall best interests is possible.

Look I am not trying to set up excuses ahead of time but here is my take on NFL and NBA refs (I really don't see much difference)

There is no memo or phone call but they know what their bosses want. It's like when you go to work for Company X, you perceive there is a way to behave and no one has to send you a memo about it. The refs hear this BS about the NEPs receiving calls going their way and I am just concerned they will take this game to "even it up."

Said it all along....they want jax in london. Pats will need to beat jax and the refs in this one. They are going to have to really be on point and play really clean ball because there will be no penalties against jax.

They would love nothing more than jax in the sb.

So why are you watching?

IMO, for the most part, the refs are unbiased and do the best they can in a very difficult job.

Count me in the group that thinks that the individual all-star ref system for playoffs is stupid. Have the best REF_TEAMS in the playoff, please!

I also believe that the Pats will plan for the refs and their tendencies better than JAX.

Losing the Falcons, Saints, and Steelers early in the playoffs is a nightmare for the NFL* , since, nationally, the remaining teams, except the Pats, are not well known.

Think of the irony that the NFL* front office may well be rooting for the Pats to get to the Super Bowl, so that they can maximize their telecast.

Life is grand! :)

Go Pats!

That 3-5 with Blakeman stat is scary...
What 3-5 stat? The article I saw said the Patriots are 2-4 with Blakeman "managing the whistle" whatever that means.

So why are you watching?

To hope the Pats can fight through the shenanigans and rise above it. It's a home game, so that likelihood is still there for them to rise above it.

Just today, a Jaguars exec confirmed moving to London is a "possibility". That's the first remote hint or suggestion that it would be happening.

I've know it for years. It all sort of makes sense from Spygate and Deflategate, the framejobs, the over-punishment of the Saints, protecting other AFC teams like the Ravens and Ray Rice, Denver and the Guyer PED thing, etc, etc, etc.

They want a strong parity and want it BAD.

What 3-5 stat? The article I saw said the Patriots are 2-4 with Blakeman "managing the whistle" whatever that means.

I was indirectly quoting someone else's post in this thread. Maybe it had a typo.

Look I am not trying to set up excuses ahead of time but here is my take on NFL and NBA refs (I really don't see much difference)

There is no memo or phone call but they know what their bosses want. It's like when you go to work for Company X, you perceive there is a way to behave and no one has to send you a memo about it. The refs hear this BS about the NEPs receiving calls going their way and I am just concerned they will take this game to "even it up."

I will say this:

In a title game or a SB, the Goodell stooges usually don't stand out because they know too many people are watching. The shenanigans usually happen in games where maybe they aren't a national game or seen in most markets. That's what made the 2013 Carolina on MNF, so shocking. Gronk mauled, everyone knew it was PI, the flag was thrown, and then a weird claim of an "uncatchable" ball 5 yards behind a 6'7 man was made, and voila, seeding control for Denver appeared to be the thing in play there.

It's sickening. And, then, there is this reverse mentality of NE "getting the calls" when the call is called correctly, whether it be the Tuck Rule or this year's

Remember 4th and 2 in Indy? Faulk clearly had the first down once he had final possession and where he was, as opposed to where the ball was marked. That was clearly an opportunity for the ref to cheat there. So, they do it.

Nobody cares, because no one wants NE winning anymore. It's quite the perfect little recipe for Goodell. He can't lose, as we've seen. Cover and lie for Baltimore and Ray Rice, get caught framing NE again in Deflategate, ratings tumbling, etc....Goodell is unstoppable as he's told us, wielding "Article 46".

I thought Torbert's crew on the whole did a fine job last week. And Steratore and Vinovich are two of the best in the game, so I would have no problem with them either. I forget the 4th ref, but don't recall any major issues there either.

The larger issue is that it'll still be an all-star crew for the Super Bowl, so whatever referee gets assigned the Super Bowl will likely be working with different people from both his normal crew and from his crew in the divisional round (although likely one or two members would overlap from the latter). So you'll have the communication issues of not working together at play again (i.e. the false start / neutral zone infraction issue in the 2nd quarter on the punt attempt).
I like Vinovich a lot. Thought he did an outstanding job in Super Bowl 49, though he did miss a trip on Butler I think on a crosser. But that was it.

I like Vinovich a lot. Thought he did an outstanding job in Super Bowl 49, though he did miss a trip on Butler I think on a crosser. But that was it.

Agreed. He and Wrolstad are great. There may be a couple of others, but the list is short.

To hope the Pats can fight through the shenanigans and rise above it. It's a home game, so that likelihood is still there for them to rise above it.

Just today, a Jaguars exec confirmed moving to London is a "possibility". That's the first remote hint or suggestion that it would be happening.

I've know it for years. It all sort of makes sense from Spygate and Deflategate, the framejobs, the over-punishment of the Saints, protecting other AFC teams like the Ravens and Ray Rice, Denver and the Guyer PED thing, etc, etc, etc.

They want a strong parity and want it BAD.

So you're knowingly watching a sport that you believe to be fixed on the field of play itself? Hahahaha. Tell me, how does something like that not get leaked in the year 2018?

Don't worry much about which ref shows up. They all get briefed by Goodell's office before the game.. And replay decisions are made in NY, not the refs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes