PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Preseason ( Week 1) Gameday Thread: Saints @ Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely doesn't look good for Clay Harbor if this kid keeps playing the way he has played.

And I really am struggling to think about a guy like Develin falling by the wayside here, simply due to his uncanny blocking and his popularity among his teammates. There are gonna be some hard a** cuts come September. Guys we love get let go and guys we hate get to stay. It's gonna be wild.

Might be able to make a case for Mitchell as well.

It also occurred to me that if the Pats' 1st round pick hadn't been stolen, we would be agonizing over one more tough cut the Pats would need to make.

But just to be clear, **** Goodell and the NFL* he rode in on!

So we got a 1st rnd pick anyway? **** YOU GOODELL!

We also picked up McClellin and could make him the first-rounder he was in 2012. The jury is still out on Cooper, but he also was a first-rounder. We found ways to circumvent the scum. If even one of those guys works out, and I do think McClellin could work out and stick long-term, it's worth it.

And I really am struggling to think about a guy like Develin falling by the wayside here, simply due to his uncanny blocking and his popularity among his teammates. There are gonna be some hard a** cuts come September. Guys we love get let go and guys we hate get to stay. It's gonna be wild.
I didn't have Dev on my very first roster projection, and based a lot on some of the things I saw last night, I'd be hard pressed to include him on any future roster projections. :(

Last few tidbits upon last watching:

• D. Roberts has a lot of catching up to do. The injury really looks to have set him back. There have been few flashes (if any) so far, unlike last TC. He looks a step slow on almost every play. Almost tentative at the line. It's still early yet and I do think he ultimately makes it, but it'll be a photo finish if he continues to look like he did against the Saints.
  • Jo. Jones is something. He isn't great yet and I wouldn't want to see him extensively in a regular season game, unless his play merits it of course, but we've got something. His scrappiness reminds me a lot of Malcolm Butler. He does not stop swatting, batting, clawing until the whistle. Maybe Strap N Scrap. No? Lol
  • Long showed me that he still has something left. How that looks on a regular basis is still TBD. He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad. Most impressive was he played with good leverage in the run game. I can't believe that I'm talking about him as though he is a rookie, but it's been a while since we've seen him play at a high level.
  • Cameron Fleming played well. He was released last season before being brought back and he's a bit of a forgotten man so far this TC, but he showed up well last night in both phases, sans a few rough pass plays.
  • If anything happens to Slater and King, ST's looks to be in trouble.
  • Dobson showed nothing special. Not trying to pile on (I've done plenty of that already), but I specifically watched him since he's been a hot button topic all TC. I saw nothing from him that makes me feel we would really miss the guy if cut. He had a few catches with the other team's 2nd string playing a mile off and one somewhat impressive catch over the middle in what looked like zone, but that's it. He creates NO separation whatsoever. Compare that to what Mitchell was doing, and the difference was glaring. Physical gifts or not, that's not what you want to see from someone of his status who knows he's on borrowed time.
  • Along the lines of WR's, Nate Washington did nothing last night except point to and turn away from Mitchell after the injury. His snaps were almost meaningless. What's up there?
  • Still hard for me to see where Develin fits in. Not saying he gets cut. Just saying it's tough to see where he sticks. The roster is loaded with young talent at so many positions.
That's all that I think hadn't been mentioned already or emphasized in the posts I've seen in the thread. We're on to Chicago.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on that last part a little? Did JG look particularly shaken or not ready? I agree that--at this point--escaping with 2-2 looks "good".

OK...in my opinion, JG fixates too long on his primary read and his 2nd and 3rd looks are at lea1st a 1/2 second to a full second slower than they should be. He short armed throws to underneath second options more than once and he threw to the wrong shoulder on a number of plays. He took what should have been an explosive catch and run by Bennett and turned it into a comeback diving to the ground catch. Hit in stride, Bennett is easily off down the sideline. These are not hard throws he screwed up.

Now I've read today's post game postmortems put out by our local media mavens. Seems most give JG a pass on a lot of these things because "no Gronk, no Edelman...". Well,I don't care who the Patriots are lining up in the offense...the ball should get to the receiver in stride and to the correct shoulder, exactly as the play is drawn up. JG did that about 30% of the time last night IMO.

Last few tidbits upon last watching:
  • Still hard for me to see where Develin fits in. Not saying he gets cut. Just saying it's tough to see where he sticks. The roster is loaded with young talent at so many positions.

If you want to run with this OL & RB you keep him. 10 more spots on PS for young talent. And don't worry too much about waivers - looking at TC reports from other teams everyone is in love with their young talent.

If you want to run with this OL & RB you keep him. 10 more spots on PS for young talent. And don't worry too much about waivers - looking at TC reports from other teams everyone is in love with their young talent.
We'll see what happens. I'd like to have him.

Bennett may be a different kind of animal. He seems very intelligent and will do best under intelligent management run by people he respects, like the Pats under BB.

He may take less to remain part of this, as he's already been part of lesser organizations, and should know the grass isn't aways greener.
I love the way the talk shows are playing up his intelligence as a huge negative. "Oh no, he reads BOOKS!"

Yeah as really think that you have to use both book and streets smarts to go in the winning of defense as well as offense.

I love the way the talk shows are playing up his intelligence as a huge negative. "Oh no, he reads BOOKS!"

They are??!! That's an odd thing to have a problem with, especially since so many of those "hottakers" on those shows probably dropped out of school.

They are??!! That's an odd thing to have a problem with, especially since so many of those "hottakers" on those shows probably dropped out of school.
Everything these days is about clicks. You can't get those just reporting news anymore. Journalism is littered with personal opinions now and, unless you're Peyton Manning or a select few others, they're usually negative. Stations amd media heads are just trying to see who can say the most controversial or shocking thing. It's pathetic.

Dobson showed up in the blocking game. I should have included that in my notes, but I was so fixated on his receiving, or lack thereof. Maybe he'll impress the coaches enough with other aspects of his game to stick. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots