PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Saints beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

The good ole days.
Meh.

It happens to every franchise.

It was inevitable. It doesn't last forever.

But the BB/Brady era has certainly led to a whole new generation of fans. And memories to last a lifetime for the die hards.

No matter what happens, nobody can take away the 6 titles and 9 SB trips.

It isn’t. Right now the question is if a guy like Jonnu Smith is even an asset. We already know he isn’t Kelce/Kittle, despite a similar salary. Never even in question.

Not sure…but people are quick to point out all the new, shiny players the Patriots brought in while ignoring they let an all-pro walk in the process.
I already did this all the way through in another thread, but no, both Henry and Smith were paid a bit above Austin Hooper - he's 105 to their 12,5 BUT, he signed his contract a year earlier. Kelce got a much bigger deal over the age of 30, and is showing it. Kittle and Andrews both make more.

If you go down the list of TEs, you'll find that Smith and Henry are 4th, but almost everyone behind them either signed a contract a long time ago, is old, is on a rookie deal, or doesn't have their resume. Don't take my word for it, go look. The outlier is Waller, who did NOTHING, then went to the stratosphere after he signed and might be the best in the league right now.

Smith had a bad game. He's got a 5-year resume to say that a bad game is an anomaly.

Meh.

It happens to every franchise.

It was inevitable. It doesn't last forever.

But the BB/Brady era has certainly led to a whole new generation of fans. And memories to last a lifetime for the die hards.

No matter what happens, nobody can take away the 6 titles and 9 SB trips.
I've lived through much, much worse with this team.

Yep. It's all part of the process of rebuilding.

Signing one of the two was a necessity. I think nobody excepted us to sign both
Looking like we would have been better off with one (Henry) since the other is bad at football

I don't think the offense is going to be an issue moving forward.

And I'm confident the D improves enough.

Will it be enough to win a SB? I'm going to say yes. But my faith is being tested.
Start praying. Your team is at the cellar of the division looking up at much improved DEN, LAC & LV.

At least you're not complaining about the late flag against Chiefs that Nick Wrong claims was a terrible call but right after complains about CBS not showing a replay of the call for all to see. Lmao

Great post but here's the thing. It doesn't matter what plays Jonnu is good at. We have an oc who is going spread-wide shotgun NO MATTER WHAT. I doubt mcd spent any time looking at Jonnu's best 10 plays on the Titans and made sure they're in the core Pats playsheet. This is an oc who week1, middle of the 3rd quarter, realized 'oh sh-t none of my 2 expensive TEs even have a single catch yet, let me call 5 TE plays in a row to fill the stat sheet'. This is the type of disadvantaged IQ we have running the Patriots offense and it ain't good.

Without wanting to feed your obsession with Josh, your point here is fairly correct. People blaming Henry (who should have had a 40-yard easy TD and maybe a second TD last week), or blaming Agholor, who was carrying double coverage yesterday and should have had a long TD last week, as well, are, quite frankly, missing the point.

Smith had an awful day yesterday. Just awful. A couple of the passes were a bit off, but should have been caught. But he's also shown the kind of explosive potential the team needs. He needs to get the ball.

Both their TEs are paid market value, but they're not being used correctly or enough, particularly in the red zone. A big part of that is, SURPRISE!, a rookie QB thrown into the fire. BB feasts on rookie QBs - so does a great coach like Sean Payton. Did anyone bother to look at Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson yesterday? They all SUCKED, and Fields combined passing and getting sacked for something like -1 yards.

This is what a rebuild looks like. This is what having a rookie QB looks like.

Regarding the other FAs:
Bourne is a cheap gem - he's only getting better and has more big-play potential than the steady Meyers. He's a steal at 5/per.
Judon was a steal at 14/year for 4.
Agholor is a two-year guy - he was taking two guys deep a lot yesterday, He, probably more than anyone else, is getting excluded because of the OL problems. Corey Davis has done next to nothing on a team with a higher-drafted QB and no other real receiving options. Golladay is already *****ing in Detroit, doing little, and got paid a boatload of $$$ - 7 million more/year than Agholor.

And that's the crux of it. The problem with the offense right now is the OL. They can't run, except when Harris is breaking tackles. For some reason - protection, I guess - Taylor, who looks faster than anyone on the field, isn't getting a chance yet. Stevenson is in time-out. Boldin's legs just won't get there anymore, at least not yet (year off didn't help him or HT). Fix that and they'll win some games.

Of all the FAs they brought in, the two who, thus far, seem to have been bad overpays are Wise and Godchaux. Their DL remains very much a work in progress, particularly against a power running attack. If they do have a bad year, I hope to heck they lazer focus on Jordan Davis out of Georgia. Really like that kid (and I hope they don't have a bad enough year to go for the 1 DT above him!).

Start praying. Your team is at the cellar of the division looking up at much improved DEN, LAC & LV.

At least you're not complaining about the late flag against Chiefs that Nick Wrong claims was a terrible call but right after complains about CBS not showing a replay of the call for all to see. Lmao
Nick Wright is a moron. I'll say that much.

Praying indeed.

But being last in the division after week 3 is no death kill.

Dont sing it bring it Bill, cause you've been saying pretty much the same thing for the last three games/
When the topic of Bill's pressers came up a couple of years ago the thought was that he can get away with that if the teams winning but it won't sit well if the team's losing. That's exactly where we are now.

most people on here had the Pats penciled in for a playoff spot...that makes next week as close to a week 4 must win as you'll ever see
Playoffs?!? PLAYOFFS?!?

One should keep in mind regarding the FAs is Stephon Gilmore was a disaster the first month of the season. The blown coverage vs. the Chiefs, the illegal hands to the face penalties vs. the Panthers etc.

Judon has looked the part as an elite EDGE. Mills has played well the first 3 games. Godchaux came alive yesterday. Bourne has been a playmaker IMO.

The team can’t get out of the TE contracts for awhile. I agree with @RobertWeathers that they should get a few more games but it doesn’t look good right now.

I thought it was overkill to get two high prized TEs but I thought there was a plan for them. I haven't really seen that plan materialize. They should have signed Hunter and let Asiasi play the other role.

There seems to be a disconnect between Bill the GM and Bill the HC on offense. Ultimately he oversees what McD is implementing. What were the plans for the TEs when they signed them? It's the same with the Harry pick. We picked a jump ball WR and we don't throw jump ball passes to him.

Judon on the other hand is being utilized as well as any FA signings we've ever had much like the Gilmore signing. I think our defense will ultimately pick it up like they always seemed to do.

However so far this offense resembles the St. Louis Rams McD offense.

we played not to lose today...which almost 99% of the time leads to a loss. Those run calls to a special teams backup RB were about as deflating, ridiculous and obnoxiously stubborn as I've seen in a few years from our OC. Let the kid throw, let the kid make mistakes. Those runs proved nothing, did nothing and showed nothing. This isn't a seasoned ,cohesive football team...it's a work in significant progress. Go down swinging is ALWAYS my motto...not azz up like a surrender monkey.
Hear hear!

I think the kid is strong-willed enough to handle any mistakes he might make. If he isn't we'll find out. But we won't know if we don't give him that chance.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe @DropKickFlutie has been right.

I thought it was overkill to get two high prized TEs but I thought there was a plan for them. I haven't really seen that plan materialize. They should have signed Hunter and let Asiasi play the other role.

There seems to be a disconnect between Bill the GM and Bill the HC on offense. Ultimately he oversees what McD is implementing. What were the plans for the TEs when they signed them? It's the same with the Harry pick. We picked a jump ball WR and we don't throw jump ball passes to him.

Judon on the other hand is being utilized as well as any FA signings we've ever had much like the Gilmore signing. I think our defense will ultimately pick it up like they always seemed to do.

However so far this offense resembles the St. Louis Rams McD offense.
Maybe Bill's strength is defense and his weakness is offense.

Maybe Bill's strength is defense and his weakness is offense.
Exactly. That is what made everything work for 20 years. Bill focused on the defense and Brady the offense. Perfect combo.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back