PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats Destroy the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

OLine looking GREAT with Onwenu at RT and Karras at LG. No matter what upstater and ring6 say in the face of reality.

If/When Brown comes back, would you leave Onwenu at RT and switch Brown to LT and leave Karras at guard and bench Wynn? That is going to be the question for the coaching staff, especially if the o-line looks real good again.

Final takes/thoughts from Reiss on the win against the Jets. One thing that stood out to me is he specifically mentioned how well our D-lineman are playing..a far cry from the first three games.

Mac Jones is only the 3rd rookie QB starter since 2000 to lead a team to 50+ points in a game. Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson are the other 2.
Does that count if the QB in question isn't playing when they score those 50+ points? :)

His stats in the first five games were a bit skewed by the garbage time against the Saints. He was just hucking the ball down the field on that last drive. I think he had like four or five passes over 20 yards on that drive alone including a last second Hail Mary that was intercepted.

If/When Brown comes back, would you leave Onwenu at RT and switch Brown to LT and leave Karras at guard and bench Wynn? That is going to be the question for the coaching staff, especially if the o-line looks real good again.

Good question. I would be for this. Keep Onwenu at right tackle the rest of his career. At LT I would try Trent Brown first and see if Wynn can stay durable at LG (if not then Karras). Offense ran for over 100 yards the last 2 weeks with Onwenu at RT and also had decent pass protection.

Great win... even if the Jets really suck.

Jonnu Smith finally had a good... quarter.

Mills better improve next week or we may be in for a long day. And if he keeps giving WRs an 8 yard cushion on 3rd & short yardage, he's going to keep getting burned on those plays.

Although it benefited the Patriots, whichever referee ate his whistle on that low hit on Wilson near the sidelines needs his eyes examined. That should have been called. I would have been throwing stuff at my TV screen if that was Mac Jones getting hit like that, especially since he went out after the next play. I think his knee injury happened on that earlier hit, not the one that caused him to walk off the field. I would not be surprised if Lawrence Guy gets fined for that hit. I don't get the people saying that Judon's hit that caused Wilson to leave was an "obvious" penalty. Was it late? Maybe just a tiny bit. But we've seen much later hits than that without a flag.

Yah, I'd be wicked pissed were Mac hit like that out of bounds. And mores with no PF called.
I feared retaliation against Mac and am glad we're done with the Jete this season, unless we meet them in the playoffs.

Good question. I would be for this. Keep Onwenu at right tackle the rest of his career. At LT I would try Trent Brown first and see if Wynn can stay durable at LG (if not then Karras). Offense ran for over 100 yards the last 2 weeks with Onwenu at RT and also had decent pass protection.

Exactly... Move Trent Brown to LT and Wynn to LG as Thuney's obviously natural replacement... Mongo Jr Jr becomes our #1 backup G/C and Thanksdad Ferentz is sh!t-canned as he so very, Very, VERY well deserves to be.... Herron becomes our backup LT-only, and Cachoo & Yessir Durant slug it out for backup RT-only...

Unfortunately, Trent Brown & His Calf of Renown ain't gonna return here, ever... He'll instead simply take the money and limp (away).

Although it benefited the Patriots, whichever referee ate his whistle on that low hit on Wilson near the sidelines needs his eyes examined. That should have been called. I would have been throwing stuff at my TV screen if that was Mac Jones getting hit like that, especially since he went out after the next play. I think his knee injury happened on that earlier hit, not the one that caused him to walk off the field. I would not be surprised if Lawrence Guy gets fined for that hit. I don't get the people saying that Judon's hit that caused Wilson to leave was an "obvious" penalty. Was it late? Maybe just a tiny bit. But we've seen much later hits than that without a flag.

Yah, I'd be wicked pissed were Mac hit like that out of bounds. And mores with no PF called.
I feared retaliation against Mac and am glad we're done with the Jete this season, unless we meet them in the playoffs.

Both hits looked perfectly fine to me... McMilfson was Clearly Not out of bounds when he took the Guy hit; and Judon was simply following-through on his tackle and even let up as he brought down Punky.

Both hits looked perfectly fine to me... McMilfson was Clearly Not out of bounds when he took the Guy hit; and Judon was simply following-through on his tackle and even let up as he brought down Punky.

I'm with you, captain, but I'm not sure of the rules.

Are any low tackles illegal or just ones on the quarterback? The Guy hit was clearly low. On the other hand, doesn't the QB lose that protection once he becomes a runner?

And the Judon hit seemed fine. Otherwise any contact with the QB when the ball has left his hand will count as a "late hit" and that's clearly not the rule, is it?

I'm with you, captain, but I'm not sure of the rules.

Are any low tackles illegal or just ones on the quarterback? The Guy hit was clearly low. On the other hand, doesn't the QB lose that protection once he becomes a runner?

And the Judon hit seemed fine. Otherwise any contact with the QB when the ball has left his hand will count as a "late hit" and that's clearly not the rule, is it?

I agree that the Judon hit was legal. I don't get how anyone can call that "late".

The Guy hit on Wilson was unnecessary roughness, not roughing the passer (he lost that protection when he left the pocket). The ball was gone before the hit, so that should have been a flag, as QBs are supposed to get added protection when they're in the act of throwing no matter where they are on the field. And again, we'd all be pretty ticked off if that happened to Mac Jones.

And we'll likely find out how the NFL feels when the fines are announced. If Guy doesn't get fined, they think it was kosher. If he gets fined, then they think it should have been called.

Last edited:
Great win... even if the Jets really suck.

Jonnu Smith finally had a good... quarter.

Mills better improve next week or we may be in for a long day. And if he keeps giving WRs an 8 yard cushion on 3rd & short yardage, he's going to keep getting burned on those plays.

Guy would have been flagged if Wilson was in the pocket. Maybe it should have been flagged anyway. Judon's hit was clean.

The Guy hit on Wilson was unnecessary roughness, not roughing the passer (he lost that protection when he left the pocket). The ball was gone before the hit, so that should have been a flag, as QBs are supposed to get added protection when they're in the act of throwing no matter where they are on the field...

Guy was already in the act of tackling before the ball was finally out of Punky's hand.

Guy was already in the act of tackling before the ball was finally out of Punky's hand.
100% on the earlier comments about INBOUNDS. He had room to run out or up(into another D, but up).

Agree or near enough(seems later in slo-mo). Plus, how many QBs make throwing motions as a double-pump or pump and tuck it in and run. So Guy couldn’t be sure he was actually throwing at the moment he committ to tackling.

Buuutt, …… that said;?it was still low. Flag-worthy is in eye beholder-I say no.

If you are tackling a thrower, i would think you want to go for the chest-shoulder area tackle. That can possibly either disrupt the throw or cause a fumble. Falling down going for the legs of a QBs in or out of pocket is just asking for some over-protective ref to throw one.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back