PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats Destroy the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

9. Matt Judon had a quite game today with only one tackle and zero QB hits. However that's better than Josh Uche managed. He continues to be my biggest disappointment on defense thus far. The kid is amazingly athletic and fast, but it seems he just doesn't have the size or strength to be a consistent source of pressures on the edge.

Ken - Not sure how you can say that Uche doesn't have the size to be a consistent source of pressure. He's 6'3 and 245 lbs. What I noticed is that when he rushed the passer, the OTs almost always had two hands on his shoulder pads controlling him.. How he hasn't drawn an offensive holding call is beyond me. The other issue that I saw is that he's dropping back into coverage some. You can't rush the pass while dropping into coverage.

I think taking a look at the All-22 to see just what UCHE was doing on each play is a must.

Pats now have the same record as the Chiefs.

Mac Jones since Week 1 has not had a baffled-looking "Welcome to the NFL" week

That might be because nobody put it all on him demanding fantasy numbers - they're clearly going with "make smart choices, play within yourself, and when you think you can do more than that stay humble"

He looks effing amazing if what you want is to have the next franchise QB. If you want him to be worth more in your fantasy league, meh, it's a good week to have him, and he'll get you a consistent diet. Pre-07 Brady style development. In fact he reminds me a lot of Brady01.

I wanted Mac in the draft, if for no other reason, that he was a smart pocket passer, that with work could grow into something pretty great. He's surpassed my wildest dreams! not with crazy stats, but with toughness, willingness, humbleness, and skill! I don't think he'll ever "sniff" Brady's greatest, but that's not necessary. I do think he's better that Brady01, but the growth and drive Brady had/has is unparalleled. I do however think there's something really special about the kid and am excited to see what growth every week brings. That's enough for me.

Last edited:
10. With his one catch from Hoyer, NKeal Harry showed how he could be used in the future. BTW- he had beaten his man on is double move, but he also showed what he can do when he is covered when he had to come back to the ball. Maybe that catch was a start.....

That ball by Hoyer was thrown very poorly and you could see Harry's skill in still catching it. Not sure why he has trouble with other catches, but maybe Mac will throw some jump balls or back shoulder passes to Harry on 3rd down and in the red zone. Seems like all Harry is good at, but it is a start.

LMAO bunch of crybabies. Whining about that after getting beaten by f'n Brian Hoyer of all people on the last drive.

LMAO bunch of crybabies. Whining about that after getting beaten by f'n Brian Hoyer of all people on the last drive.
It's only "running up the score" if a team can easily run out the clock and chooses not to. Otherwise, it's pronounced "playing football."

It's only "running up the score" if a team can easily run out the clock and chooses not to. Otherwise, it's pronounced "playing football."

I'm sure Belichick would happily agree to stop trying to score, and just take a knee three times every possession, IF the Jets were willing to do the same. Basically, if they wanted to forfeit the rest of the game and save some late game injuries, I'm sure the Patriots would just take the W. But the Jets were throwing too. If they thought the game was still worth playing normally, why wouldn't the Patriots?

Mac Jones is only the 3rd rookie QB starter since 2000 to lead a team to 50+ points in a game. Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson are the other 2.

Last edited:
There were no drives that started inside the Jets 10, or defensive scores, big 50 yard gains from ticky tack PI calls. The offense played a near perfect game with long drives almost every time they took the field. It's okay to feel good about that.
I want to unpack this a little as there's more meat on this bone. Specifically, the offense was better (and encouraging) yesterday not just because of who, but how. From the macro of being able to both run and pass, but in the micro it was across a multitude of scenarios.

Down and distance was across the board - it wasn't just the offense staying 100% on schedule and having short 3d downs. There were plenty of 2d and 10s as well as a couple overcoming penalty yardage that the offense successfully navigated - which has NOT been the case in the previous weeks.

They executed screens - something they have NOT been able to do previously.

They used the middle and the outsides in the passing game. Again, an expansion of their previous work where it was mainly middle of the field.

They adjusted as the defense adjusted with different focus areas - TE, WR, RB in the passing game. The run game had both quick hitters and long developing (delays and stretch plays).

Yes, the opponent was a factor, but looking at the Houston, Cowboys and Jets games as a set - isn't there an evolution from the OL (which was a sieve in every way before that destroying the offenses ability to be multifaceted...or even just single faceted in one area successfully) to the QB to the OC showing a maturation process in perspective of the entire offense and what they can EXECUTE as a unit? This is not the same offense from weeks 1-3 regardless of opponent.

(Unfortunately, the pass defense is similarly regressing over that timeframe - both coverage and rushing the passer, while improving against the run. A lot of team dynamics ebbing and flowing for this Patriots squad.)

Jets pack the box and stop the run - are the Patriot supposed to just run three times for less than 1 YPC and give the ball back or try to run out the clock by passing on a loaded box? Take what the defense gives you. Like you said...football.

I wanted Mac in the draft, if for no other reason, that he was a smart pocket passer, that with work could grow into something pretty great. He's surpassed my wildest dreams! not with crazy stats, but with toughness, willingness, humbleness, and skill! I don't think he'd even "sniff" Brady greatest, but that's not necessary. I do think he's better that Brady01, but the growth and drive Brady had/has is unparalleled. I do however think there's something really special about the kid and am excited to see what growth ever week brings. That's enough for me.
Still don't know his ceiling. I try not to get too up, I'm just happy he's not starting from stinker games. But the consistency is impressive... thinking about future growth is an adventure :D So far it's been about not losing the game. I think we saw yesterday what he sometimes can do, and remember the Jets D was supposed to be the adequate thing about them.,

Greenberg incinerates them here wow. "The Jets are a really bad idea" LOL

Greenberg is another guy getting paid to come up with the next level of sick burn that goes past the last level from the last sports talker, and unfortunately for them, it's easy to top whatever was said last. Always. It would make me cry except it's the JETE. So. The only thing I can say is totally disingenuous here is him complaining about how unmotivated they are while publicly shaming them for a living. At that point it's just bullcrap on the basis of pure hypocrisy.

Also I should say, this is why it irritates me to see guys who clearly are competing for "sickest burn on your own team" playing the same game but on a decent team, vis., your (and supposedly their) New England Patriots. All the guys saying how we're pathetic, how bad our coaching is, blah blah blah... They must have been crying through this one. Actually I was in the GDT and there were one or two complaining about I don't even remember what.

But did you notice the same exact JETE fan complaint, that you've seen from supposed Pats fans? "Right off the bat, two running plays up the middle." Same old "playcalling" shell game bullshlitz. He was complaining about the scripted (first 15 plays,) on first and second down. I mean, other than 3rd and short, is this guy trying to dictate There Shall Be No Interior Runs? That's a lot of wasted plays in the playbook.

At least he had the lopsided loss to justify it. We haven't seen it this year, or anything close to it. Hoping we carry over the momentum to the Chargers, my fellow fans' wishes aside :D

All Gas. No Brakes.

Funny, I bet they sold a whole bunch of this in NY last night.

I understand this mentality in general (I disagree with it personally, but can get where people are coming from), but in this case, had they lost to the Jets and gotten the 12th pick, they're still taking Mac Jones and likely still trading up for Barmore in round 2. I don't think beating the Jets in week 17 last year actually changed much at all for them this year.

It's the Jets, not Boston College. Beating an NFL team by 41 points is impressive, no matter what. And what's most encouraging about it, is NONE of those 54 points on offense were cheap. There were no drives that started inside the Jets 10, or defensive scores, big 50 yard gains from ticky tack PI calls. The offense played a near perfect game with long drives almost every time they took the field. It's okay to feel good about that.
I was talking about the Chargers. They gonna be loaded for bear.

Ken - Not sure how you can say that Uche doesn't have the size to be a consistent source of pressure. He's 6'3 and 245 lbs. What I noticed is that when he rushed the passer, the OTs almost always had two hands on his shoulder pads controlling him.. How he hasn't drawn an offensive holding call is beyond me. The other issue that I saw is that he's dropping back into coverage some. You can't rush the pass while dropping into coverage.

I think taking a look at the All-22 to see just what UCHE was doing on each play is a must.
The kid gets held pretty much every time

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back