PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats Destroy the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Uche is fast but he cant shed blocks... He gets held most of the time engulfed by the tackle
He's been dealing with injuries since the 3rd game...his play has dropped off since the first two games, that's for sure.

Onwenu continues to play like an all-pro at RT. Karras with another pretty good game at LG. More importantly:

Wynn 0 sacks 0 hits 0 pressures 1 penalty

His first respectable performance of the seaaon. Hopefully he’s turned a corner because they’ve figured out the OL otherwise.
The OL needs to get things right. I echo : Onwenu @RT & Karras in the game - the right way to go at this point.

Henry, deservedly, is playing quite a bit. I like him a lot.

Onwenu continues to play like an all-pro at RT. Karras with another pretty good game at LG. More importantly:

Wynn 0 sacks 0 hits 0 pressures 1 penalty

His first respectable performance of the seaaon. Hopefully he’s turned a corner because they’ve figured out the OL otherwise.
Say it with me, "It's the Jets."

The Jets defense is respectable...I think you have to give our line some credit, they played really well.
Yeah. I'll give them credit when they can string two game's worth of decent protection together. Right now there's too much red I their ledger that one good game against a terrible team can overcome.

a couple of post game thoughts

I only caught the 2nd half of the game, so I won't do an "Idle thoughts" tonight..... ButI DO have a few.

1. What I liked most about what I saw in Mack Jones today was how he moved in the pocket and his escapeability . He showed that he too is a good athlete as well as an accurate passer. I believe that we will see that even more in the future as he becomes more acclimated the more experienced he becomes

2. The defense didn't look that great. Not bad, but just not crisp. The Jets moved the ball pretty well in the 2nd half. No 3 and outs like you would hope with a back up QB.

3. I wonder how Jet fans felt watching this game knowing that they seemed to move the ball better with White as their QB.

4. Watching Justin Field against TB, vs watching Mac vs Tampa Bay,. I couldn't help but feel we dodged a bullet when Mac fell to us. He looked completely clueless. Who knows what he might become in a few years, but right now he isn't an NFL QB.

5. JJ Williams did a good job today. He had 3 pass break ups. Lets see if he gets more run. He might have to.
6. Don't look now but we have the same record as the Chiefs

7. CJ Mosley was hurt today, but HE's the guy I'd like to see as our MLB nest season. IIRC he's a FA and has the sideline to sideline speed we need. He also covers RB's better than anyone we currently have, Just a thought.

8. Brian Hoyer had a better QB rating than Mac Jones....and Kendrick Bournes' passing ratting was over 40 point higher than either of them. ;)

9. Matt Judon had a quite game today with only one tackle and zero QB hits. However that's better than Josh Uche managed. He continues to be my biggest disappointment on defense thus far. The kid is amazingly athletic and fast, but it seems he just doesn't have the size or strength to be a consistent source of pressures on the edge.

10. With his one catch from Hoyer, NKeal Harry showed how he could be used in the future. BTW- he had beaten his man on is double move, but he also showed what he can do when he is covered when he had to come back to the ball. Maybe that catch was a start.....

A couple of things. Mosley has three more years on his contract after this one. Although he could be cut because he has been a bust for the Jets thus far (only played two games in 2019, sat out all of last year, and has been not an impact player this year), he likely won't be a free agent next year.

As for Wison, he should take his time off to study this film, not of his play, but Mac Jones'. Wilson needs to learn how to make quicker decisions and know when it is best to just dump off the ball and get 3-5 yards over trying to extend the play for a big gain. You aren't going to last long in this league as a gun slinger if you cannot find balance in your game. Gun slingers like Favre knew when it was best to dump a pass off in the flat rather than trying to make a 10-15 yard plus pass on every play. Wilson was better at it in this game than in week 2, but he still hasn't given up that tendency by a long shot.

I have said earlier this season that Harry's role if he is going to salvage his career is in the 2007 Stallworth role of being the guy who makes one or two impact plays on the outside a game. That play yesterday was Stallworth-like.

The Jets defense is respectable...I think you have to give our line some credit, they played really well.
The OL was outstanding. That being said, I will still wait a few more weeks to see if this game was really more about us or the jets being the jets once again.

so far we have 3 wins. 2x against the Jets and 1x against the Texans. Two of the worst team in football.

We have still to play, 2x Bills, Browns, Titans, Chargers, Colts. Until we play a clean game like yesterday against a good team, I will still have a little bit of scepticisme left. I am looking for to see if we can stretch this kind of game together. For now, this game feel like the 45-0 nothing against the LAC last year. We all know what happened the week after. I hope we don’t go into the Chargers game too over confident

Last edited:
Kinda wish we didn’t humiliate them last year

I understand this mentality in general (I disagree with it personally, but can get where people are coming from), but in this case, had they lost to the Jets and gotten the 12th pick, they're still taking Mac Jones and likely still trading up for Barmore in round 2. I don't think beating the Jets in week 17 last year actually changed much at all for them this year.

Say it with me, "It's the Jets."

It's the Jets, not Boston College. Beating an NFL team by 41 points is impressive, no matter what. And what's most encouraging about it, is NONE of those 54 points on offense were cheap. There were no drives that started inside the Jets 10, or defensive scores, big 50 yard gains from ticky tack PI calls. The offense played a near perfect game with long drives almost every time they took the field. It's okay to feel good about that.

A couple of things. Mosley has three more years on his contract after this one. Although he could be cut because he has been a bust for the Jets thus far (only played two games in 2019, sat out all of last year, and has been not an impact player this year), he likely won't be a free agent next year.

As for Wison, he should take his time off to study this film, not of his play, but Mac Jones'. Wilson needs to learn how to make quicker decisions and know when it is best to just dump off the ball and get 3-5 yards over trying to extend the play for a big gain. You aren't going to last long in this league as a gun slinger if you cannot find balance in your game. Gun slingers like Favre knew when it was best to dump a pass off in the flat rather than trying to make a 10-15 yard plus pass on every play. Wilson was better at it in this game than in week 2, but he still hasn't given up that tendency by a long shot.

I have said earlier this season that Harry's role if he is going to salvage his career is in the 2007 Stallworth role of being the guy who makes one or two impact plays on the outside a game. That play yesterday was Stallworth-like.
Thanks for the info on Mosley. I didn't know about his injury history. All I know is what I saw in the first Jet game this year. In that game he was all over the field making plays. All those passes to our backs that looked so good in this game, he was stuffing at the LOS, and I really want a LB like Devon White that can do that. In THAT particular game Mosely was that guy. But with 3 years left on his deal, it becomes a moot point.

As for Wilson, thus far he looks like he has a million dollar arm, a hundred thousand dollar legs, and a 2 cent head. But its still so early in his career to make definitive judgements on how his career will grow.

The OL was outstanding. That being said, I will still wait a few more weeks to see if this game was really more about us or the jets being the jets once again.

so far we have 3 wins. 2x against the Jets and 1x against the Texans. Two of the worst team in football.

We have still to play, 2x Bills, Browns, Titans, Chargers, Colts. Until we play a clean game like yesterday against a good team, I will still have a little bit of scepticisme left. I am looking for to see if we can stretch this kind of game together. For now, this game feel like the 45-0 nothing against the LAC last year. We all know what happened the week after. I hope we don’t go into the Chargers game too over confident
I'm looking forward to this week. We have proved that we can play with any team in this league, the question is "can we win those close games"? If we can win this week, watch out, we might get on a nice little roll. Mac is playing well, our tight ends and wide outs are improving, the only thing that has me a concerned is our secondary...let's gooooooo and get to 500 this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on Mosley. I didn't know about his injury history. All I know is what I saw in the first Jet game this year. In that game he was all over the field making plays. All those passes to our backs that looked so good in this game, he was stuffing at the LOS, and I really want a LB like Devon White that can do that. In THAT particular game Mosely was that guy. But with 3 years left on his deal, it becomes a moot point.

As for Wilson, thus far he looks like he has a million dollar arm, a hundred thousand dollar legs, and a 2 cent head. But its still so early in his career to make definitive judgements on how his career will grow.

To be fair to Mosley, he sat out last year for the COVID protocol. But there were questions how healthy he was going into the season and they felt he sat out to rehab.

As for Wilson, some of what he is missing in the mental part can be taught, but reaction time and being able to process everything quickly is something you either have or you don't. You can learn how to process these things quicker, but ultimately either your brain works that way or not. On a side note, I think Wilson would have been a dominant QB in the 80s and 90s where QBs could take five to seven step drops because the defenses weren't as as fast and aggressive up front allowing plays to develop down the field.

Great block and execution by Onwenu, not sure if Herron, Cajuste or Durant make that block...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back