PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Broncos beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. Risk is if he plays really well Pats will probably have to be taken to the cleaners if they want to be competitive in 2021.
That’s always the risk. I think people are just way too used having Brady taking good value contracts that they don’t really get how volatile the QB market. If people even think you are a franchise level QB, you are going for a stupid number.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
3 penalties all game. The Donks OL got away with murder. There were multiple times I saw defenders being outright tackled.

At this point if Newton put on Hoyer's jersey and slouched(a lot) we would be calling for him to be benched.

If Brady had Hoyer's jersey people would have wanted him benched last year around game 11.

He has 1/4 games with more than 160 yards passing. You want to pay $30m/year for that?

Why would you assume he would get or even look for 30m per year ? How did you come up with that number ?

Starting Stidham also doesn't really help Cam get back into game speed after he hasn't played in 3 weeks.

It makes no sense whatsoever given the situation we are in. If the game had been last week and we have had a full week of practice and Cam became suddenly available around Saturday I can understand the discussion but given how the last weeks played out it is insane to say Stidham should have played because he had one more practice day.

Cam was never near as good of a QB as Brady - sure, he's much more talented physically, but Brady is showing why sharpness, mental superiority and technique can still outplay talent. Cam is slow in his reads, holds the ball, and makes people think he's great because of his great running ability. They obviously can't run much of their offense because of how new he is to it. Add to that, that he won't be given a long term deal here. So, now that we see our team is a mess and no chance of competing this year, why not play Stidham with more of your offensive playbook? Give him a headstart to see if he's worth sticking around. Hoyer is a waste of time as far as future plans.

Cam was never near as good of a QB as Brady - sure, he's much more talented physically, but Brady is showing why sharpness, mental superiority and technique can still outplay talent. Cam is slow in his reads, holds the ball, and makes people think he's great because of his great running ability. They obviously can't run much of their offense because of how new he is to it. Add to that, that he won't be given a long term deal here. So, now that we see our team is a mess and no chance of competing this year, why not play Stidham with more of your offensive playbook? Give him a headstart to see if he's worth sticking around. Hoyer is a waste of time as far as future plans.
They clearly don’t believe Stidham gives them the best chance

Dearth of weapons and a QB that is maybe 60% what he was in 2015, this passing offense has a very low ceiling, but thats what we signed up for with Cam. Also, I dont think it's fair to point to the Seattle game and say "look, we can be good" when they lost two safeties in that game and seattle may have the worst defense in the league. The stars aligned for us to have a bad passing game this year.
I agree that Seattle is looking like an anomaly for our passing game since outside of that game we have been pretty lifeless throwing the ball. I would say try and somewhat mimic what the Ravens did with Lamar last year with some more RPO/play action stuff but I don’t think we have a healthy enough O-line, a true bell cow back like Ingram, or anywhere near the TE talent Baltimore has. Outside of making a move for a legitimate TE or receiver I think we will be trying to slog out 21 points every week.

Cam does not even refer to himself as a QB. He says he is a football player.

Could it be that he's holding the ball because he's saddled with some of the worst weapons in the NFL? A hobbled Edelman, a first-round WR who I could probably outrun, a few borderline PS guys, a TE who does nothing well, and a couple rookies who barely see the field?

It has been a long time since a Pats team was dominated like that. Denver even tried to give is the game at the end and we still messed it up. Horrible game from Cam. This offense will struggle anytime they face a good defense.

When was the last time we were 2-3?
I heard someone on TV say it was 2001. Crazy.

And they won the super bowl that year.

and yet he wasn't taken by any team in the 1st round, so I guess no team had a "use a 1st round pick on him" consesus. Not even Tennessee had one, seeing is how they drafted a player that had just done his knee in the 1st round

In fact a lot of draftnik's had Harry over Brown. Metcalf only vaulted up boards after the his workout warrior-like combine but teams still negged him because he was coming off a neck injury and was just a go-route guy. I mean the revisionist that Harry wasn't basically a top 2-3 WR in that draft and was really a day 3 pick is hilarious

View attachment 28999
View attachment 29000
View attachment 29001
View attachment 29002

View attachment 29003
Yeah I thought that Brown went in the first. As you correctly point out, he didn't. So both Brown and Debo were picked after Harry. I don't understand the hate that Harry has received on this board. That said, after yesterday, where he was invisible from a receiving perspective, I think its accurate to say that he has certainly under performed to date. I don't watch the Pac 10 and am an SEC fan so I really didn't know anything about Harry when he was drafted. Yesterday should have been the perfect game to get the ball in his hands every way possible. Why Josh opted not to utilize him in any meaningful way is puzzling. For the haters, save the vitriol about running the wrong route on that last play as a reason why.
The kid has talent but just hasn't put it together yet. Will he? I hope so!

Could it be that he's holding the ball because he's saddled with some of the worst weapons in the NFL? A hobbled Edelman, a first-round WR who I could probably outrun, a few borderline PS guys, a TE who does nothing well, and a couple rookies who barely see the field?
I’ve never seriously had a moment where I was legitimately happy that a player might be out for the year. That actually happened yesterday when it looked like Izzo may have torn his ACL. He’s useless.

Yeah I thought that Brown went in the first. As you correctly point out, he didn't. So both Brown and Debo were picked after Harry. I don't understand the hate that Harry has received on this board. That said, after yesterday, where he was invisible from a receiving perspective, I think its accurate to say that he has certainly under performed to date. I don't watch the Pac 10 and am an SEC fan so I really didn't know anything about Harry when he was drafted. Yesterday should have been the perfect game to get the ball in his hands every way possible. Why Josh opted not to utilize him in any meaningful way is puzzling. For the haters, save the vitriol about running the wrong route on that last play as a reason why.
The kid has talent but just hasn't put it together yet. Will he? I hope so!
People are down on him because he has yet to show he was worth a first round pick. Combine that with the fact that DK Metcalf already looks like a top 5 receiver in the league, Deebo Samuel looks like a pretty dynamic weapon who seemingly was a perfect fit for our offense pre-draft, and AJ Brown looks like a legitimate number 1 guy. Even Dionte Thompson and Mecole Hartman look significantly better than Harry.

I think there was also a fair amount of people who wondered at the time if Harry was the right receiver to take based on his scouting report. So far the knocks on him coming out look to be pretty dead on. Route running, release, and separation are all a big part of why he is struggling and it doesn't look like anyone can blame his lack of production on Brady anymore.

You can’t win in this league consistently without a QB. Cam is struggling because of what he is working with. Just like Brady at the end of last year. We got a preview in KC what this team is with a mediocre QB with no skills. Unless we lose out, we aren’t getting a first round QB. So we will be rolling dice in the draft.

Yeah sign Cam. He’s still clearly the best thing we have on offense and someone we can trust when we get better talent

And it was no different than what we got with Cam.

Hoyer+Stidham actually had more yards passing than Newton did in 3/4 games o_O

And it was no different than what we got with Cam.

Hoyer+Stidham actually had more yards passing than Newton did in 3/4 games o_O
I have to severely question your ability to analyze football if you didn’t see a huge difference between Cam this year and what we got against KC

We started Hoyer who stinks over Stidham two weeks ago. At this point, let’s just acknowledge that of Stidham didn’t have a Pats jersey nobody here would know who he was. The coaches don’t believe in him and he has been pedestrian every time he hit the field.

This is why I think it’s funny when people are hesitant to extend Cam. We don’t have an answer at QB besides him. We will waste draft capital searching for one for years.
Just because Stidham isn't the answer, doesn't mean Cam is the long term answer either. Your prediction that using a draft pick to find a QB would be a waste is based on nothing also.

I have to severely question your ability to analyze football if you didn’t see a huge difference between Cam this year and what we got against KC
You are overvaluing the Seattle game anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back