PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Broncos beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if true then next one up is a lucky lady-just let him do all the work

In my case, I get extra grumpy after multiple losses. Kraft once got so mad he replaced our grass with FieldTurf...
And Gillette has been one of the league's worst stadia ever since then...

Last edited:
Of course it was.

Reiss wrote an article agreeing with me. Perhaps you can understand it with his words.
Reiss - and Any & All stat-blind, baseball-loving gweeps who agree with this - are All Wrong.

Only if the play they ran was so exceptional it was very likely to succeed (it wasn't).

Odds are usually against you making it
Which is why you go for it on the first score. So you can plan the rest of the game.

Reiss - and Any & All stat-blind, baseball-loving gweeps who agree with this - are All Wrong.
It’s not about stats.

If you have to go for 2 one time, which they did you always go the first time because if you fail it you now know you must score twice. There is no value at all I’m waiting to do it on the second score.
what do you possibly gain by not knowing how many points you will need until
It’s too late?
Give me the argument that shows why it’s better to just pretend you will convert it and spend 8 1/2 minutes playing for the wrong number of points.

People who love to harp on the "lack of weapons" aren't going like this take. It is a problem but it is clearly not the only problem (or even the main problem) and is likely overblown. It seems as though execution was the biggest issue on Sunday, rather than talent. I think that many fans, including myself, haven't fully appreciate how difficult it is to accurately assess WR play in particular using only the TV feed. The All-22 analysis frequently tells a different story.

Cam had time to throw. He held onto the ball too long. Couldn't throw it away when he should of. Band-Aid O-line held up decently against that pass rush that was without their best player. Donks offense also was missing their best player. That was as bad of a loss that I have seen. Cam still had a chance to win at the end. He couldn't do it. Just like the Seattle game. He didn't get the job done. I'm not impressed. These other guys would have sealed the deal. Mahomes, Wilson. Hell even old man Brady probably wins that game. Very sad.

Cam had a bad day after missing two weeks of practice behind a makeshift offensive line that had never taken the field and with an ineffective running game. I expect a better showing Sunday if they can practice.

Cam had time to throw on some plays. Alot of plays he was running for his life. Denver blitzed like holy hell. They figured 2 weeks of no practice for this team..no way he can beat us on a timing based, quick passing game. Their strategy/gamble worked wonderfully. Cam deserves a lot of the blame but so does 2 weeks of no practice. Whole offense was not on the same page..it showed.
I can't stress enough that most of the mistakes made are correctable through practice / repetition / communication.
Cam is going to/talking a beating from this..some of it undeservedly. I'm a bit excited by this...one of the main questions/critiques of Cam coming In is ..he quits/diva/cant take the pressure/pouts... Well here we are... Pressure is on and cam haters are out with the torches..Mr. newton ball is in your court.. What'll it be?

Which is why you go for it on the first score. So you can plan the rest of the game.
Okay, I'll ask her which positions she prefers and their sequence first; then I'll be able to plan the rest of the evening properly.

It’s not about stats.

If you have to go for 2 one time, which they did you always go the first time because if you fail it you now know you must score twice. There is no value at all I’m waiting to do it on the second score.
what do you possibly gain by not knowing how many points you will need until
It’s too late?
Give me the argument that shows why it’s better to just pretend you will convert it and spend 8 1/2 minutes playing for the wrong number of points.
This is so painfully obvious that I want to assure you that you're not dumb; after all Belichick did it.

Kicking the extra point is drastically more likely to be successful than going for two. Pats had the chance to make it a one possession game simply by kicking. Not doing so, without HAVING not to, is frankly taking points off the scoreboard, which is why Captain, Trent & I couldn't freaking believe our eyes.

Assuming we stop the Donkeys and get the ball back, yes we need to put it in the end zone and then go for it to try and tie the game.

But in addition; all kinds of other things can happen, including turnovers, which can lead to a score.

Failing on the two point conversion attempt at the end, if there's still some time, can be followed by yes an onside kick which if recovered can set up a game winning field goal; or we could try to pin them back, where a safety will tie the game.

Going for two and failing as they did makes it a two possession game, making it enormously harder-and less likely-to come back.

Cam had time to throw. He held onto the ball too long. Couldn't throw it away when he should of. Band-Aid O-line held up decently against that pass rush that was without their best player. Donks offense also was missing their best player. That was as bad of a loss that I have seen. Cam still had a chance to win at the end. He couldn't do it. Just like the Seattle game. He didn't get the job done. I'm not impressed. These other guys would have sealed the deal. Mahomes, Wilson. Hell even old man Brady probably wins that game. Very sad.
This take doesn't make sense to me.

You realize if it wasn't for his athletic ability and drive extending plays late in the game, they never would've had a chance to win in the first place, right? The plays he made when scrambling and on the trick-play were the only reason they had a chance.

When it came down to it, if Harry runs the correct route, they very well may win that game.

Cam played pretty darn poorly, but no more so than anyone else. The entire team sucked last Sunday, and for good reason considering the lack of practice/prep.

Also - the fact that you bring up the Seattle game ... really? That was one of the best games I've seen quarterbacked in a long, long time. Cam essentially played a perfect game, save for the INT. He went toe-to-toe with Russel. The failure to score on the final play falls entirely on McD, not Cam - that play was DOA.

This is so painfully obvious that I want to assure you that you're not dumb; after all Belichick did it.

Kicking the extra point is drastically more likely to be successful than going for two. Pats had the chance to make it a one possession game simply by kicking. Not doing so, without HAVING not to, is frankly taking points off the scoreboard, which is why Captain, Trent & I couldn't freaking believe our eyes.

Assuming we stop the Donkeys and get the ball back, yes we need to put it in the end zone and then go for it to try and tie the game.

But in addition; all kinds of other things can happen, including turnovers, which can lead to a score.

Failing on the two point conversion attempt at the end, if there's still some time, can be followed by yes an onside kick which if recovered can set up a game winning field goal; or we could try to pin them back, where a safety will tie the game.

Going for two and failing as they did makes it a two possession game, making it enormously harder-and less likely-to come back.
Everything you just said applies equally whether the 2 point conversion was missed after the first TD or the second. None of what you mentioned is a benefit of waiting.

Cam is taking a beating today. The film is out. Not pretty.

Like I said earlier this week. If he slouched down and had a different number on his jersey, people would have thought Hoyer was still playing.:headscratch:

Yes, Newton is getting pilloried today. Bedard has the receipts on F&M. It is not good. Says Newton doesn't know how the "throw guys open." Bedard had repeated examples of Newton getting destroyed by a blitz, not having the wherewithal to "slow" the oncoming blitzers by "slowing" the snap count. If Newton continues to play like this we are looking at 5 or 6 wins, which is no man's land as far as first round draft picks are concerned, and we all know the #8 or #9 pick will become #26 and #44. A guy named Damiere Byrd is the # receiver on a New England Patriots team - not Edelman, not Gronkowski, not the 2019 #1 draft pick, not either of the 2020 tight ends drafted...this, my friends, is not looking good and it's not getting better unless Newton improves ten-fold over his last 2 games...

I often see people criticizing McDaniel's playcalling and ineffectiveness at developing TEs (someone made the note that Gronk was a product of O'Brien). How do you come to that conclusion? Genuinely asking - sometimes I look at frustrating playcalling being a result of bad offensive skill, and while it sucks, it's the only gameplan they can go with - or at least, the gameplan that generates the most opportunity. Kinda like "you can only polish a turd so much."

What do you look for when assessing an OC? How do you really judge one? Interested in anyone's input. Would be nice to hear what you would've done differently on Sunday, as well.

If you are going to fail on the 2 point conversation you are “taking points off the board” either way.
By taking them off the board with 8 1/2 minutes left you have 8 1/2 minutes left to play for 2 scores you really need instead of taking them off at the end of the game and then realizing you needed 2 scores and played as if you needed 1.
Your argument that you can fail late and do an onside kick makes no sense. You would not be in any better situation.

You have yet to show me a scenario where delaying the inevitable helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes