PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Bills beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant In The draft . I.e. use high picks 2 on wide receivers every year hoping to hit 2 who can be available for a 2-3 year tandem and then sign one while follow the same draft philosophy so that we can also get our Higgins - chase combo . We can't sign two stud wide receivers because of cost . I get that. Hence high picks should be used on wide receivers where the success rate of top 20 picks is relatively higher than a QB or other position and they tend to contribute more as rookies.

OTs take a year or two to develop. So not sure if first round is the way to go . Wynn and strange leave a lot to be desired.
Sorry man, I am gonna disagree. That's a ton of draft capital. A. Ton. For every Cee Dee Lamb and Jamar Chase, you're getting two N'keal Harrys and a bunch of Nelson Agholors. There's a reason these guys are generational talents, or at least tops of their draft class. I agree they should get one of these guys, but I certainly don't want to spend that level of draft picks on one position.

This was an absolutely embarrassing end to a very embarrassing season and today’s game really demonstrated why Bill Belichick should no longer be in charge of the New England Patriots.

His coaching decisions/appointments this year are probably some of the worst coaching moves in NFL history…… he is always trying to outthink the room…..and when Brady was here he got away with it…..Brady made him look like a genius. As soon as Brady left… Bill came back to earth. What he did this year was some of the dumbest coaching decisions ever, and his lack of adjustments (punter, KO, ST and other whiffs) was glaring.

There is so much material to grab from here that it’s overwhelming. Only good news about Miami beating the Jets (let’s be honest….everyone saw that coming……even with a nothing QB)….is that they will most likely be out of the running for Sean Payton. It is time for a change here and Payton would be a brilliant move for this team going forward.

I hope Robert Kraft does the right thing.
As Ted Johnson was saying BB is 70, he's been involved with the game spanning 40 plus years.. he went on to say he's putting more on his plate instead of having competent people in important positions like he had with Weis, crennel, to run the offense or ST..

The drafting becomes better once ownership mentioned its more of a collaboration. Reports were he was ignoring the draft scouts and went with what he felt..
I don’t think Belichick will be coaching the Patriots next year. A collision is coming with the Krafts demanding Jerod Mayo be named DC over Stevie Mullet Belichick.

Bill will quit.

Then we scramble to hire a new head coach.
I can very much see that happening, especially with reports that Kraft informed the team that everyone will be under review in the off-season save for nick Caley. The interesting thing with Caley is Josh tried to take him to Las Vegas but the team blocked it.. then Curran mentioned Caley was offered the offensive coordinator job, but refused it becuase BB wouldn't give him the title..

The teams in red are loaded with talent and have elite/good QBs. None of that is changing. Pats need a major influx of talent to become contenders.

During the offseason I pointed out the lack of top 10 talent on this team on both sides of the ball. I think I mentioned having 3 or 4 (Judon, Onwenu, Rham, Henry). I got blasted. There's this belief this team has all kinds of talent. That we can contend by simply adding a few players. Imo, we have average talent at most positions and when we go up against one of these elite teams it shows. The days of being able to win w/ avg talent that can be coached up are over.

This team needs way more than a make-over. It needs a f*cking face lift.

Makeover ... facelift ... What this team REALLY needs, pronto, is to lose +/- 300 lbs. of ugly fat. Which in this case happens to wear a beard. Toss in Achord, install competent replacements and you're already halfway there. The Patriots HAD a playoff-caliber roster this season that would now be preparing for next week's wildcard round given competent coaching.

gzytinbdc9dfa2lmaneq copy.jpg

Sorry man, I am gonna disagree. That's a ton of draft capital. A. Ton. For every Cee Dee Lamb and Jamar Chase, you're getting two N'keal Harrys and a bunch of Nelson Agholors. There's a reason these guys are generational talents, or at least tops of their draft class. I agree they should get one of these guys, but I certainly don't want to spend that level of draft picks on one position.
I completely agree. And I can’t still get around the fact that Deebo should have been a patriots.

I completely agree. And I can’t still get around the fact that Deebo should have been a patriots.
The Deebo and AJ Brown misses hurt a lot because those guys have skill sets that were taylor made for what the Patriots like to do on offense. Just tough guys who can line up all over the field and run good routes from basically any concept. They were the easy choices, a lot more projection involved in Harry.

That’s assuming the Bills would have scored 0 points on those drives. They could have scored 2 TD on those drives and it would have been the same. We will never know.

Well never know. Could've also turned over the ball. but with how the defense was playing ill take those chances vs. a 100% TD with no having to drive the field.

I think the problem isn't the misses it's that they seem to miss 100% of the time. I mean we got the ONLY wide receiver who couldn't at in the N'keal harry draft. Imagine if we had aj brown, deebo or Metcalf? Heck the 2019 season with Brady might have gone totally different.

I mean almost every other team can hit on receivers. But the Patriots. Jury is still out on Thornton. But I don't see him as some elite AJ brown type.

You also don't have to trade for sanu or overpay for guys like Agholor if you hit on one of those receivers.

Mac and Lawrence are in similar situations going into the make or break year three. Both had a lost year due to poor coaching, both have shown signs that they can be a solid QB1. Mac looks much worse because Lawrence has superior physical skills and Mac regressed in year 2.

I agree the two QBs are in similar situations.

Did you watch the Jags/Titans game? Mac looked better in the Bills game then Lawrence looked in the Titans game. Why do you say Mac looks much worse?

Not sure if anyone responded to your post, but I wanted to because I agree and thought it was a great post. Sorry, but I am not the one to answer your questions definitively. I saw the same things you saw. I will add that Mac sometimes zips the ball, so why not more frequently?

I also wanted to differentiate "processes what is on the field" and "sees the field". Mac sees the field well as evidenced by his pass behind Thornton to keep Tyquan from being killed. My guess is that Mac sees a lot, and will see more as he progresses, but is still a step slow processing it all. Hence his passes are a slight bit off in the various ways you mention. I think throwing too soft a pass, a slightly late pass, and frustrating miss timed check downs, are all due to the same thing. I think Mac processes everything a tick too slowly leading to various "ball delivery" anomalies. I am hopeful this mostly goes away next year as Mac should process faster in Y3.

I appreciate your insight and actually agree. Which is the main "bummer" for me this season. The record is something I expected, but I really thought we'd get a better read on Mac. However, some of those issues you're bringing up can be attributed to stunted development due to coaching oddities and really inconsistent o-line play. The bummer being - it was hard to get a feel or read on Mac himself that wasn't subjected to a nuance of peripheral letdowns or oddities.

This press conference only solidified my belief that Belichick should be gone. The decay starts at the top (well, Kraft is the top but can't fire him.)

This press conference only solidified my belief that Belichick should be gone. The decay starts at the top (well, Kraft is the top but can't fire him.)

When you look for something it is not surprising when you find it. What is surprising is being able to step back and be objective.

I appreciate your insight and actually agree. Which is the main "bummer" for me this season. The record is something I expected, but I really thought we'd get a better read on Mac. However, some of those issues you're bringing up can be attributed to stunted development due to coaching oddities and really inconsistent o-line play. The bummer being - it was hard to get a feel or read on Mac himself that wasn't subjected to a nuance of peripheral letdowns or oddities.

I am not sure adversity is bad. It sometimes feels bad even if it is good. Maybe, in the long run, learning to deal with weak coaching and personnel will accelerate Mac's growth. We will see.

The difference in the game was the 2 KO returns and the two long plays from Allen. Allen can keep a play alive backing away from the rush and throw a 65 yard pass off his back foot where only the WR can catch it. Stunning to watch but i wish we could do anything even approaching it. We aren't far away as a team. WE need a WR that worries defenses, an OT or two and a number 1 corner. We also need to change the special teams and offensive coaches. Tbh that is a lot of change. Mac will possibly be on his 3rd offensive system in 3 yrs. We are now one of those teams.

The difference in the game was the 2 KO returns and the two long plays from Allen. Allen can keep a play alive backing away from the rush and throw a 65 yard pass off his back foot where only the WR can catch it. Stunning to watch but i wish we could do anything even approaching it. We aren't far away as a team. WE need a WR that worries defenses, an OT or two and a number 1 corner. We also need to change the special teams and offensive coaches. Tbh that is a lot of change. Mac will possibly be on his 3rd offensive system in 3 yrs. We are now one of those teams.
Yes, those 4 plays made a big impact. Two others equally important were: the missed PI in the ez (cost us 4 points), and the phantom OPI on Hunter Henry that moved the ball from the Buffalo 5 to the 21 - cost us probably 7 points. I can't recall a season where there were more bad calls that directly cost us points in close games.

Yes, those 4 plays made a big impact. Two others equally important were: the missed PI in the ez (cost us 4 points), and the phantom OPI on Hunter Henry that moved the ball from the Buffalo 5 to the 21 - cost us probably 7 points. I can't recall a season where there were more bad calls that directly cost us points in close games.
We don’t know the direct impact, but the missed offsides TFL that gave the Pats 2nd and 16 instead of 1st and 5 was brutal too.

We need to stay the course for the most part, we should have won 10 games this season but for bad breaks. Our #1 priority is to fix special teams, from the coach to the punter to KO coverage. The D is very good, and the offense and play-calling improved down the stretch - though of course try to find an OL and another weapon. We have a lot of draft capital and cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back