PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official (not rumors) 2013 NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former Eagles DT Derek Landri has signed his two-year, $3.25 M deal with the Buccaneers, which includes $1.25 M guaranteed.

Bucs have also signed former Giants and Rams WR Steve Smith.

The Bucs are also supposedly going to sign former Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding, to compete with Connor Barth.

Browns free-agent WR Mohamed Massaquoi visited Jacksonville on Monday; Seahawks free-agent DT Alan Branch in Buffalo today.

The board also thought Cassell should have been unceremoniously cut and he wound up netting us a 2. Obviously after getting on the field and proving it

Yeah, end of argument. Cassel was a completely different case.

This is a QB league and Mallett had some issues but had some pedigree too coming out of college and has really done nothing to hurt his stock other than a few amature opinions of his preseason and TC play so it is not abusrd to think he might have slightly upped his stock. Anyone who thinks a one is even more optimistic than me which is hard to do.

How would he have upped his stock?

I am praying that Larry Fitz agrees to a restructured contract and agrees to be traded to the Pats. He'll be 30 to start the season. Maybe the Cards would consider trading him on draft day?

Things that have a higher likelihood of happening than that include (with the least likely to happen coming in descending order)...

1. Somalia invading the U.S. mainland.

2. A dog developing the ability to speak.

3. An alien invasion of Earth.

4. Me banging Kate Upton.

Poor Cardinals. They just can't win.

Jason La Canfora ‏
@JasonLaCanfora 33s

Alan Branch strikes a 1yr, $3M deal with the Bills. Can make another $350K in incentives​

BTW three weeks into FA, who was the reporter that said the Pats would be "aggressive" for a DE/DT and they wanted Michael Johnson before he was franchised? Talk about a load of crap.

BTW three weeks into FA, who was the reporter that said the Pats would be "aggressive" for a DE/DT and they wanted Michael Johnson before he was franchised? Talk about a load of crap.
Nobody predicted that the free agency market would be this bad for players, and it became very evident early that the best strategy this free agency period would be to sit back and let the players come to you. It worked perfectly for the Pats with Talib and Vollmer, and it appears that it might work out perfectly with Abraham and Edelman too. I wouldn't call it "a load of crap" as much as everybody misjudging the market until the signings first started happening.

Nobody predicted that the free agency market would be this bad for players, and it became very evident early that the best strategy this free agency period would be to sit back and let the players come to you. It worked perfectly for the Pats with Talib and Vollmer, and it appears that it might work out perfectly with Abraham and Edelman too. I wouldn't call it "a load of crap" as much as everybody misjudging the market until the signings first started happening.

Oh, I agree. It's just whoever it was made it sound like the Pats were going to go right after Avril or Bennett when Johnson was tagged. That obviously wasn't the case, as it appears we only have mild interest in a 35 year old DE, not looking to spend high capital on the position that was reported.

Oh, I agree. It's just whoever it was made it sound like the Pats were going to go right after Avril or Bennett when Johnson was tagged. That obviously wasn't the case, as it appears we only have mild interest in a 35 year old DE, not looking to spend high capital on the position that was reported.
I wouldn't put Avril in the same discussion with Johnson and Bennett as an all-around player (because Belichick actually makes his DEs play the run), and Bennett has a torn rotator cuff that he apparently is going to play through as opposed to getting surgery on. That could explain why Michael Johnson was the guy they were supposedly looking at, because everybody else either can't defend the run, has a torn rotator cuff, is in their mid-30s, or just isn't a good player.

Issues with catching the ball can be coached. You cannot coach speed.

Other than his hands everything I've read about DHB has made him sound outstanding. Gives full effort, good blocking, good team mate.

Would he have been the solution to our problems? Probably not - but I would have liked to have seen him brought in. $3m for 1 year is too much for a flier on a guy, though. So I'm ok with him going to the Colts.

You can coach a WR with hands of stone to catch the ball, but 99 times out of 100 you can't. Very few WRs who cannot catch the ball, especially after 4 years in the Pros, learn how to catch the ball.

All Hayward-Bey is speed and size. You take away that and he couldn't even make most high school JV squads. Everything about him is considered mediocre at best. He is a poor route runner. He has poor football smarts. He has poor awareness on the field.

Heyward-Bey would be a horrible fit for the Pats. At best he would be a 10-15 play a game player where he could run go routes only. He is not a good fit for a complex offense. He is arguably not a good fit for a simplified offense.

If he was willing to take a Michael Jenkins' contract (no money up front and the veteran minimum with a few incentives thrown in, he was worth the shot. But at $3 million, he is overpaid especially for the Pats' system.

Heyward-Bey was a bust because he is a slightly taller, better version of Bethel Johnson.

There's no point being aggressive for players who are no better than what you already have. A guy like Alan Branch is no better than Love or Deaderick, and one would hope those guys are rotational players next year.

There's no point being aggressive for players who are no better than what you already have. A guy like Alan Branch is no better than Love or Deaderick, and one would hope those guys are rotational players next year.

Certainly debatable, but it would appear that Belichick may tend to agree with you.

I think that Love is an excellent rotational/depth player, but I feel as though Deaderick can be improved upon for sure. Either player should be seeing as much action as they do in my opinion, yet the only way to make that happen is to draft and/or bring in better competition. The lack of FA interest would lead one to believe that it will be targeted in the draft, possibly higher than many expect.

Ian Rapoport
‏@RapSheet

Nnamdi Asomugha chooses #49ers and has agreed to terms, per sources. He had also considered #Saints. #NnamdiWatch​

Ian Rapoport
‏@RapSheet

Nnamdi Asomugha chooses #49ers and has agreed to terms, per sources. He had also considered #Saints. #NnamdiWatch​

1 year 3 mil deal from what I heard. Super deal for the 49ers even if it doesn't work out.

EDIT:
Quote:
CB Nnamdi Asomugha is signing a 1-yr deal with 49ers worth $1.35 million in base salary, but get this: He didn't want ANY guaranteed money.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/319212475696435201

Holy...

That would be the definition of a hometown discount. He got his money in Philly, and now he's right back in the bay but on a much better team.

It appears as though Belichick is confident that one/both of Dennard and Dowling will be able to start opposite of Talib, and that isn't even getting into the fact that Talib hasn't finished any of his past 3 seasons.

And/or he may be planning to take someone in the draft also.

There's always the possibility of course, that he just isn't too hot on Asomugah too, which may be the main reason, although I would've taken a chance on him at 3 million dollars myself.

I hope BB isn't confident in dowling..no reason to be

It appears as though Belichick is confident that one/both of Dennard and Dowling will be able to start opposite of Talib, and that isn't even getting into the fact that Talib hasn't finished any of his past 3 seasons.

And/or he may be planning to take someone in the draft also.

There's always the possibility of course, that he just isn't too hot on Asomugah too, which may be the main reason, although I would've taken a chance on him at 3 million dollars myself.
Given the reasonable contracts being accepted by many free agents during this period, it seems obvious that Belichick and the Patriots have considerably more faith and a different view of the roster than us fans. It should be interesting to see what remaining moves are made over the next few months.

Nnamdi was awful last year and so was DeAngelo Hall, for that matter. Guys like Talib and Chris Houston and Sean Smith got more money because they actually played well last year.

Not that I would have minded Nnamdi for $1.35 million, but it's understandable if the Pats passed -- especially if other moves (like maybe Abraham) are forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down