PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD - Buccaneers at Packers

GB: Chit coaching. Went for two earlier and didn't make it, so they are down by 8 late and don't go for it. Went for the win early and then didn't late. Aaron Rodgers could have ran it in. Opted to kick a FG, instead of simply going up by one with at TD and PAT instead of needing 2 scores.

TB: Less chitty coaching but still not great. 3 picks in a vertical game instead of playing ball control with good lead. Should have turned down the offsides at 2:02 left and made them burn a TO. In the end, it didn't matter.

TB12: I am over my jilted Ex phase. He's unreal. I hope he wins. Good for him.

Tampa's play calling when up by 11 was ridiculous and nearly cost them. Tampa's defense dug in and held it together.

James Ihedigbo during the game. Ouch!:

19. 14 for thuney 5 for McCourty.
I was saying Thuney + both McCourty! They had to pick the option on Jason to basically keep Devin! 14.7 thuney + 5.55 Jm + 5.4 DM = 25.65

Both McCourty were bad last year and Devin has a cap hit of 11M in 2021!

My opinion is having Brady on this team was more valuable than thuney + both McCourty

sorry kid, perspective DOES matter

football is the ultimate team sport

if it weren't for Kraft, this team was gone....he brought in BB, he opened the purse strings, he gave BB the freedom to make this all happen

BB built the staff, he built the teams, he set the tone

Brady came in with a chip on his shoulder, bought into the system BB was putting in place, and then made himself into the QB we've watched for 20 years (or 5, depending on when you started)

none of this happens without them......none of this happens without Dante Scarnechia, none of this happens without Richard Seymour, or Ty Law, or Wes Welker, or Randy Moss.....I could go on and on

We've witnessed unprecedented greatness for 20 years......success unparalleled in this league, let alone in the salary cap era

this was all about the perfect storm......were there some more important than others? sure.....and one could argue BB & Tom Brady are the two most important pieces, and I'd agree with that......but one cannot discount the man that built it, one cannot discount the one that did so many special things, and one cannot discount the "smaller" pieces along the way....be they Gronk or Troy Brown (ok, he was huge) or Matthew Slater or a host of other players that here over this time

to boil it down to "BB vs TB12" is to do this franchise, the run they went on, and the very essence of the game, a disservice......and displays a gross misunderstanding of what some of us have been watching since the beginning (and long before)

to me none of this happens without Mosi Tatupu or Steve Grogan.......but ymmv

Can someone give me Rodgers record now when trailing by 1 or more points in the 4th quarter. I read it was terrible.
0-37 the last time it was talked about. You may have to do some digging online.

Update: It's 0-37 when trailing winning teams going into the 4th Quarter.

Last edited:
GB: Chit coaching. Went for two earlier and didn't make it, so they are down by 8 late and don't go for it. Went for the win early and then didn't late. Aaron Rodgers could have ran it in. Opted to kick a FG, instead of simply going up by one with at TD and PAT instead of needing 2 scores.

TB: Less chitty coaching but still not great. 3 picks in a vertical game instead of playing ball control with good lead. Should have turned down the offsides at 2:02 left and made them burn a TO. In the end, it didn't matter.

TB12: I am over my jilted Ex phase. He's unreal. I hope he wins. Good for him.
Great summary.

I would add that an ignored/maligned Bucs defense came through big in the clutch: overcoming three consecutive turnovers by the much more heralded offense. The Tampa D came through with back-to-back three-and-outs, bailing their offense out of what would have otherwise been an historic choke/collapse.

So why does this whole thing about Aaron when he trails persist?

Im happy for Tom, but I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing Tampa get their asses kicked cause I cannot stand their ass of a HC.

Key pass interference call helps Buccaneers seal Super Bowl berth - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

You knew Florio would have to stir the pot and try to start something out of nothing. :rolleyes:
Everyone in the media is losing their minds about this call but it didn’t even count right? Because if the 12 man on the field penalty

In the end it was so blatant it was hard not to throw a flag on that! There were other PI that should have been called on both teams but nothing that obvious! The refs also ignore blatant holding call against GB OL and the GB back up LF was having false start 50% of the time and Rodgers had another 5 seconds after the play clock got to 0!

Im happy for Tom, but I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing Tampa get their asses kicked cause I cannot stand their ass of a HC.
I think you’re gonna get your wish. Huge coaching mismatch if KC wins today. And KC’s offense vs THAT defense, total mismatch.

But for Tom Brady, at age FORTY THREE, to go to a different Conference, learn a totally different offense, and to take a team that was 7-9 last year, on the road, in GB, and win the NFC Championship Game, may be his greatest accomplishment EVER. Just astounding.

The Bucs, when they were up 28-10, THAT Bucs team may have a chance. But the Bucs team that was outscored 16-3 the rest of the way, and almost pulled a Falcons, will get crushed by KC.

how much do we think the tom brady mythology went into some of the coaching decsions?

early on, it looked like TB was going to run away, especially after that 2nd half start.....even as they were clawing back into it, they felt they needed to go for 2 (which at the time i was ok with.......no one expected 3 4th quarter INTs, they thought they were in a back and forth, everyone trades scores kind of game, and their hope was to try and limit TB to FGs and just had to stay close.....I don't think they expected to get 3-4 stops in the 4th like they did, so i get it........but then the FG decision, which they apparently made before the 3rd down decision, was a little baffling.......they had to think brady was going to march down the field and score no matter what they did, and they didn't want to walk away with no points and let TB win with a FG?

Everyone knows Brady is only good if you take two chipmunk farts of air out of a football or something.

But they won’t trash Rodgers lol. The guy has lost his 3 conference title games.

Because talking about Rodgers don't move the needle like talking about Brady.

How can you say that. How is not anything but dumb letting go a QB that throws 40 TDs, 4500 yards, has 3 postseason road wins, and is going to Superbowl, all for a contract that's not even Top 10 QB money. What else do you want in a QB for the team? Superlative play at reasonable price not enough for you?

It was BB's ego and need to win without Brady that scuttled it. Fck BB.
Shouldn't you be over in the Tampa Bay forum? You certainly aren't a Pats fan.

Can someone give me Rodgers record now when trailing by 1 or more points in the 4th quarter. I read it was terrible.
Lost four straight championship games.

Well, Brady has proven he can do it without bill. Your turn Bill.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back