PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD - Buccaneers at Packers

Everyone in the media is losing their minds about this call but it didn’t even count right? Because if the 12 man on the field penalty

In the end it was so blatant it was hard not to throw a flag on that! There were other PI that should have been called on both teams but nothing that obvious! The refs also ignore blatant holding call against GB OL and the GB back up LF was having false start 50% of the time and Rodgers had another 5 seconds after the play clock got to 0!
I hope refs don't do this again in the SB (let them play). The KC DBs do a lot of holding. I mean a lot. Also, w/o their starting tackles, I can see them doing a lot of O holding against Bucs stacked front 7.

Not calling penalties hurts the team with the better D, which in this case is the Bucs.

I think you’re gonna get your wish. Huge coaching mismatch if KC wins today. And KC’s offense vs THAT defense, total mismatch.

But for Tom Brady, at age FORTY THREE, to go to a different Conference, learn a totally different offense, and to take a team that was 7-9 last year, on the road, in GB, and win the NFC Championship Game, may be his greatest accomplishment EVER. Just astounding.

The Bucs, when they were up 28-10, THAT Bucs team may have a chance. But the Bucs team that was outscored 16-3 the rest of the way, and almost pulled a Falcons, will get crushed by KC.
Bucs led that game the whole way. GB tied it for 90 seconds in 2nd Qtr. 90 seconds of 60 minutes is as close as they got.

I hope refs don't do this again in the SB (let them play). The KC DBs do a lot of holding. I mean a lot. Also, w/o their starting tackles, I can see them doing a lot of O holding against Bucs stacked front 7.

Not calling penalties hurts the team with the better D, which in this case is the Bucs.

Last year, "let them play" was utter ********. I am still convinced the 49ers got hosed...but it was worse than being hosed on one call. It was a series of 4-5 calls in the fourth quarter. Chiefs not called for a crucial false start and an offsides (calls you'd make 99% of the time); incredibly blatant holding on several critical plays, though it occured right next to Mahomes. I tried to be objective and lay off the sore loser/conspiracy theory stuff, but there wasn't any offsetting advantages given to the 49ers. They even had the nerve to take away that Kittle catch just before halftime with an OPI call...which would have been fine had not the entire game been filled with "oh they're just letting it go and letting them play though."

I’m on page 81 it’s I’m dying in tears how stupid do you have to be to think that PI was a bad call. Dude was 3 feet away holding Johnson by his here in plain view for everyone to see but they should let it go wtf
I think that what probably happened was ref thought about not throwing the flag but when both Evans and TJ complained he must've realized the play was so obvious he had to throw the flag because it would've been looked at under a microscope. Flag was really late but it was the right decision.

Edit: @Ice_Ice_Brady said almost the same above. Lol

Last edited:
Last year, "let them play" was utter ********. I am still convinced the 49ers got hosed...but it was worse than being hosed on one call. It was a series of 4-5 calls in the fourth quarter. Chiefs not called for a crucial false start and an offsides (calls you'd make 99% of the time); incredibly blatant holding on several critical plays, though it occured right next to Mahomes. I tried to be objective and lay off the sore loser/conspiracy theory stuff, but there wasn't any offsetting advantages given to the 49ers. They even had the nerve to take away that Kittle catch just before halftime with an OPI call...which would have been fine had not the entire game been filled with "oh they're just letting it go and letting them play though."
That one might have (and I think did) made the difference in the outcome.

20210125_131848.jpg
Vea led NT snaps which is surprising. Everyone expected about 20-25 snaps. He played well.

Adams played 1 more snap than Whitehead and had that PBU in the EZ in that critical 3rd and goal before the FG.

Barrett/ JPP with 5 sacks. Need to do the same in SB to have a chance.

Can we finally put to bed the warm weather teams don't win in cold weather games generalization?

Brady was ready to go for this game; he was terrific in the first half. The opening drive he was 3-3 for 56 yards and a touchdown on 3rd down. On another 3rd down play Brady connected with Godwin on a 52-yard completion to setup their second touchdown. He his best throw of the day was the 39-yard TD pass to Miller with 0:01 left in the half. That and his 3rd quarter TD pass to Brate followed Green Bay turnovers. The last 6 opponent turnovers, Brady has converted into touchdowns.

Brady had an NFL record 393 pass attempts on the road without an interception until he had 3 picks in 7 attempts in the second half.

The first he didn't get far enough to the sideline where Evans may have been able to make a play on the ball. Fortunately it was a downfield throw so Green Bay only got the ball at their 32. Unfortunately Green Bay drove down the field for a touchdown.

The second pick Brady slightly overthrew Evans who tipped the ball right to a Green Bay DB. To me this was the worst pick (not necessarily the worst throw) because Evans is inside the 10-yard line with a completion and a subsequent score there makes it 35-23 (and 35 was the number I thought Tampa Bay needed to put it away). This, and the third pick that was equivalent to and no worse than a punt, were followed by three-and-outs by the spineless Rodgers led offense.

This was typical Rodgers coming up short in some of the bigger moments of his career. Last three possessions: 3-9, 2 punts, 1 FG. He also passed up two very good opportunities to run the ball inside the 10-yard line for a touchdown. He can win 5 more MVP's, he's not in Brady's class, no one is, but Rodgers is the one quarterback said to be on Brady's doorstep. That's officially a joke. He can sulk and insinuate the Green Bay organization has somehow let him down but the truth is he's not a winner. Brady's a winner, the greatest of any professional sport, as he's proving to all of us again.

Can we finally put to bed the warm weather teams don't win in cold weather games generalization?
The dome angle is more of a factor. Just look at Brees' career splits. New Orleans would have lost this game 26-13.

Stafford and Ryan would throw 25 picks a season in New England.

The second pick Brady slightly overthrew Evans who tipped the ball right to a Green Bay DB. To me this was the worst pick (not necessarily the worst throw) because Evans is inside the 10-yard line with a completion and a subsequent score there makes it 35-23 (and 35 was the number I thought Tampa Bay needed to put it away). This, and the third pick that was equivalent to and no worse than a punt, were followed by three-and-outs by the spineless Rodgers led offense.

This was typical Rodgers coming up short in some of the bigger moments of his career. Last three possessions: 3-9, 2 punts, 1 FG. He also passed up two very good opportunities to run the ball inside the 10-yard line for a touchdown. He can win 5 more MVP's, he's not in Brady's class, no one is, but Rodgers is the one quarterback said to be on Brady's doorstep. That's officially a joke. He can sulk and insinuate the Green Bay organization has somehow let him down but the truth is he's not a winner. Brady's a winner, the greatest of any professional sport, as he's proving to all of us again.

That INT off Evans hands (second pick) is the type of play where you can already see the loss playing out and then the deep regret all offseason. That was about to be the dagger. It’s rare to see an opposing quarterback who doesn’t make you suffer for that. I mean, pretty much any pro quarterback.

Rodgers is the master of coming up short, no matter the circumstances, and deflecting blame. The guy had 50 TDs, 5 INTs coming into the game and had done his typical domination of garbage teams and front running like no other. An MVP with a preposterous 122 passer rating, all the momentum, the coaching advantage, an all-world wide receiver, a defense that intercepted Brady three times...and then the blame placed on the coach for not making a low-percentage call on a fourth down and a bunch of mediots stumping about how great Tampa’s defense is (even though Rodgers was able to slice through them at will for much of the game.)

Did I mention Tampa was down their TWO starting safeties? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

100% agree... I was referring more to this whole "Brady vs Belichick" virus which seems to be going around. :)
I think fans support both but lean one way or the other because they're now separated for the first time.

Rodgers is the master of coming up short, no matter the circumstances, and deflecting blame. The guy had 50 TDs, 5 INTs coming into the game and had done his typical domination of garbage teams and front running like no other. An MVP with a preposterous 122 passer rating, all the momentum, the coaching advantage, an all-world wide receiver, a defense that intercepted Brady three times...and then the blame placed on the coach for not making a low-percentage call on a fourth down and a bunch of mediots stumping about how great Tampa’s defense is (even though Rodgers was able to slice through them at will for much of the game.)
It's likely Rodgers tightened up in the 4th quarter under the pressure but also I think Tampa Bay's defense deserves credit for playing well down the stretch.

When Tampa Bay got up 28-10 I thought it was over at that point because Rodgers is not known for comebacks and Brady was playing so well. I think Tampa Bay should have dialed back the no risk it no biscuit approach but that's not how they operate. Other than the first drive, Brady and Evans were not connecting on the deep ball. All of the picks were targeted for Evans who also had another deep ball bounce off of his fingertips. Rodgers just couldn't capitalize on any of his 4th quarter opportunities. Brady and the Bucs offense were efficient on their final two drives of the game.

All that said, if you watch the wide angle replay of GB's 3rd down by the goal line, Rodgers could have ran it for a touchdown with just over two minutes left. Instead he opted for a low percentage pass to Adams who was blanked by double coverage. On that one play at least, Rodgers blew it. At age 37 he's 1-4 in NFCCG's in what is a career now marked by underachievement. It seems like his next move may be placing blame on the GB organization by forcing his way out of town (as though they're holding him back). It's unlikely he's going anywhere though since he's just entering the first year of a four year extension.

I don't understand how that is challengeable after the runner picked it up and started to run.
Did anyone ever get a clear explanation of why the kickoff after the Fournette TD that hit the goal line was challenged and ruled a touchback? Doesn't the fact that the kick returner chose to run it out rather than taking a knee negate the touchback?

Last edited:
Did anyone ever get a clear explanation of why the kickoff after the Fournette TD that hit the goal line was challenged and ruled a touchback? Doesn't the fact they the kick returner chose to run it out rather than taking a knee negate the touchback?
I think the returner did that because the official didn’t signal that it was a touchback

I think that what probably happened was ref thought about not throwing the flag but when both Evans and TJ complained he must've realized the play was so obvious he had to throw the flag because it would've been looked at under a microscope. Flag was really late but it was the right decision.

Edit: @Ice_Ice_Brady said almost the same above. Lol
Pereira explains it below. The sideline ref is 20 yards away and it's a spot foul so it takes them time to get into position to mark the spot.

Pereira explains it below. The sideline ref is 20 yards away and it's a spot foul so it takes them time to get into position to mark the spot.

Nice explanation. It was Aikman that kept on saying the flag came in really late. Would've been nice if Pereira gave this explanation during the game (if he did, I missed it).

Nice explanation. It was Aikman that kept on saying the flag came in really late. Would've been nice if Pereira gave this explanation during the game (if he did, I missed it).
He did say that it was too blatant not to call despite the fact that they had let a lot of stuff go throughout the game.

He did say that it was too blatant not to call despite the fact that they had let a lot of stuff go throughout the game.

I just don’t get it are people this ****ing stupid, that’s probably the easiest PI flag of the postseason. Dudes shirt was being pulled 3 feet away and the middle of the field as the targeted WR

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back