PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Official Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread - Night 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

I said it was just generically about the offense.

"Right now, generically speaking, and unless Stidham is already veteran starter level, this is a 2-3 win offense, at best."
They won 4 of their last 8 last year with a qb completing 55% of his passes for less than 6 ypa.
They allowed 14 or less 11 times.
Stidham would have to take the snap and gs d it to the dL to be a 2-3 win team.

I just see it hard to justify when the draft is weak at TE, and the consensus for this particular player seems to be round 5 or 6. Impossible to know every team's board, but you could use that logic to justify any reach. I'm not taking the draft as seriously/angrily as others though, so hopefully it turns out well.
I had a 3rd on Asiasi and a high 4th on Keene. If I was just ranking prospects I'd be higher on Keene but I have to go be my scale. Right inline with where I had them.

5-11? Okay I agree we could scrape 5 wins...hopefully. Will take some coaching magic.

It’s late here. I meant 11.

my guess is that 5 is the very low end and we’re more likely to be in the 7-9 range of wins.

I think Bill wants to build a team like the 2001 team. Get physical linebackers and rely on the defense and only ask Stidham to be a game manager. Brady was a game manager until around 2005. He didnt become the Brady that lit it up until 2006ish.
Kind of a 2001-ish offense:

It's even emptier than virtue signaling, which would require them to take an implicit stance on something other than "the virus is bad and humans are amazing, watch our football programming".

It’s such obnoxious pandering. Almost to the point of being so ridiculous that it’s offensive.

Didn't follow the pre-draft this year...didn't watch much college football last season.

My buddy is locked into it. He loves this draft so far for the Patriots. really loves this draft.

Yeah, it sucks because I actually do want to make that comparison. The best parts of Asiasi's game do resemble some of Gronk's strengths, and the best parts of Keene's game seem to be similar to Hernandez's (I didn't watch VT last year so I can't say). They're not in the same ballpark as athletic prospects, though, so in addition to feeling like kind of a lazy comparison it also feels misleadingly sensationalistic. So I avoided making at all because you'd have to attach like 5 disclaimers to it and people would still misinterpret it and straw-man the **** out of you.
Fwiw Keene was TE2 and Asiasi was TE16 in terms of testing #'s/athletic profile for TE. Keene had a pretty decent combine. He can definitely move in a hurry.

This offensive group isn't the "worst in 20 years". FFS.. Have you forgotten 2005 when they had the carousel at RB? Or 2006?

The Pats have 4 Veteran RBs and an unused 2nd year guy who, quite possibly could relegate Burkhead to the bench.

The WRs should be HEALTHY now.

The O-Line should be better than last year with the return of Andrews and the additions of Froholdt and Cajuste

The fact that it's F'in April and your whining and moaning about the state of the offense is really ridiculous..

If they successfully bring that run game from 2018 back I love their chances to win the AFCE. And maybe more. I hope they do. No team had an answer for that.

5-11? Okay I agree we could scrape 5 wins...hopefully. Will take some coaching magic.

Go watch Tampa Bay then.. FFS.. It's April and you're whining.. SMH..

Bill is building the team to run the ball, quick throws over the middle, deep TE seams etc. Not much outside the numbers.

Just needs Stidham to be smart with the ball, limit turnovers, good on 3rd down.

Defense like the early Brady days. This team will try to grind out wins.

It’s such obnoxious pandering. Almost to the point of being so ridiculous that it’s offensive.
Let me guess: you want to talk politics...

‘Well firstly I read offense as team so apologies there. Secondly, it’s a complimentary sport so how good the offense is is far from the whole picture.

Firstly, no worries.

Secondly, people often separate offense and defense (and special teams) when evaluating a team's talent. It happens all the time.

Without getting good play from the draft picks and veteran play from Stidham, this is a garbage offense and a defense that's less than last season. So the idea that it should be expected to be the best team in the division when Buffalo, a 10 win team from last year has improved on paper, and has an easier schedule than the Patriots, is a homer take.

That's fine. The draft is a time for that, and the draft could make it happen. I just wanted more developed reasoning than "Because Buffalo sucks and BB is the bestest bestest!".

It’s late here. I meant 11.

my guess is that 5 is the very low end and we’re more likely to be in the 7-9 range of wins.
We should tank in that case. Get our franchise QB to go along with a good defense and load up on offense in the draft and free agency. That’s a process I’d be happy with.

I had a 3rd on Asiasi and a high 4th on Keene. If I was just ranking prospects I'd be higher on Keene but I have to go be my scale. Right inline with where I had them.
Asiasi in-line, Keanu move TE? Same as gronk/murderer? In role not talent level.

If we are 5-11 this year than I’d say 7-9 at best with Brady. Maybe less.

OL needs to stay healthy, Michel needs to be ‘18 Michel and Stidham needs to be safe and there’s something to work with. Not a huge amount, but enough to give the defense a chance.
Would be nice if we could manufacture a slot receiver out of a late round pick and/or a vet pick up. Feel nervous about getting JE11 through a season without too much WR talent around him.

If we are 5-11 this year than I’d say 7-9 at best with Brady. Maybe less.

Yeah, but you've been saying silly things like that for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes