PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2023 Patriots Draft Day Discussion: Round 2/3

Looks like a superior Special Teamer
I hope he is good in punt coverage, because they will be punting a lot.

Another incredible reach by BB. He has 4 4th round picks, the guy could have easily been taken with any of them.

I’m so sick of saying “who” from “where” when the Pats pick. Duggar is finally getting up to speed, just in time for him to reach FA. He was lost for the first two years. You have Saban basically teaching the Pats system , yet BB takes guys who can’t compete in the SEC, let alone the NFL.

I’m starting to think my 6 win prediction might be waaay to high.

They called teams about it, doesn’t indicate how serious they were.
Given some of the costs last night I can see why they didn’t. 80 for 93 and 120 is steep. Imagine going up from 46 to 35. Would’ve cost the 76

A lot of players I like still left, unfortunately a number of those players play on defense.

I expect they will use some picks to trade for a vet, trade some future picks or draft players who will miss the year due to injury. Coming into the draft I believe they had 15 roster spots open. Drafting 12 guys with only 3 spots open for Udfa isn’t Bill’s style.

Joejuan Williams Part Deux.
Williams was slow, Mapu is fast. Williams was predicted to go where he did. Mapu was predicted a round or two later. They aren’t the same

Riess says that Toto tore his pec in February, and of course no medical, because he wasn’t even good enough to be one of the 300+ guys they invite to the combine!

So a guy who is coming from a high school won’t be able to practice and will most likely be IRed for his rookie season. Kraft needs to step in and take the reigns away from this mad man!

Classic situation here, a few hate the Mapu pick. Likely will turn into a good LB/S hybrid for us and those will 360 and brag how they always loved the pick. Same story different chapter.
Seems like a rerun of the Dugger pick

Same also with Joeslow Williams and N’Keal Harry.
Is this your first NFL draft? Why are you bringing up busts? Do you want people Countering with hits? What’s the point?

My first time seeing this and I gotta say, I found it a little disturbing. I will be interested when they get him up here to hear what he has to say.

I don’t think it’s a mystery Ken, he went to the Draft expecting to be a first round pick with a nice big signing bonus and contract, ended up not being taken in the first round, and was really pissed off about it. It’s hard to blame him for that. The stories about how miserable Brady’s Draft experience was are legend now, he thought he was going to be an insurance salesman. Like Brady he will get over it, and when he realizes the opportunity in front of him he will make the most of it.

It’s no secret that I went into this draft wanting them to add some explosive weapons on offense, players like Bijan Robinson, Gibbs, and Zay Flowers, but I still believe that the best way to build a Championship caliber team is by drafting the best players , and not for need. I’m not saying that need doesn’t come into the equation, but I don’t believe that going into a draft and picking an OT in the first, CB in the 2nd etc… because those are your most notable holes is the way to build the strongest team.

I think there has been a noticeable shift in the way the Patriots have been drafting in recent years, and I think many here are seeing the same thing, and I really like it, and believe in it. It was clear in the Buffalo playoff loss 2 years ago that they were slower and less athletic than the best teams in the league, and over their past few drafts they have been adding more speed, athleticism, and high end talent to the team, and that’s exactly what they did in the first 2 rounds of this Draft, and I think we will see more of the same today.

I know many here hate to do this, but I think Belichick deserves a ton of credit for the approach he’s taking, it’s as good an example of putting the team first as it gets. I think most coaches on the verge of both retirement, and the All Time Wins record would throw every resource the franchise has into winning now, like giving up the house to sign Aaron Rodgers, overpriced free agents, and overpaying to move up in the Draft. Instead Belichick appears to be sticking to building as good a team as he can without mortgaging the future, and leaving the next coach/GM with no resources. I know what Parcells would have done, and it isn’t this. Ultimately I think that this will leave Belichick without both the Lombardi without Brady, and short of the wins record, but it will leave the next regime ( Groh/Mayo) with a very good younger team that has both the draft resources, and cap situation to get over the top, and bring more Championships to New England. People can trash Belichick all they want, I have nothing but respect for him, and the approach he is taking, even though it means that it’s less likely they will prevail in the short term. I’m not saying I agree with every move he makes, but I respect his willingness to put the best interests of the franchise over his own legacy.

Both Gonzalez and White are top of the Draft talents that will need to be coached up to reach their peak as players, but I think that’s exactly what you want, as opposed to prospects who are already close to their playing ceilings. Gonzalez gives them a 20 year old version of Stephon Gilmore, and while I like their young DB’s they needed one with the speed and length to shut down the top WR’s in the league. White gives them a really nasty pass rusher, to add to an already strong pass rush. I think that when he’s used inside with Barmore it is going to give them the interior pass rush that will force QB’s into the arms of Judon and Uche coming from the outside. And I’m really looking forward to watching their defense this season.

As far as the overall picture goes I think Belichick realizes they simply are not going to be able to win Lombardi’s by engaging in shoot outs with the top teams in the AFC. So his answer to this is to return to the approach he took with his first Patriots Dynasty. They are going to try to use a ball control, game management offense, with a strong run game and a focus on TOP and field position, with a really nasty defense that can get after the QB, and turn the ball over on defense. Will it work, we will see? But it probably gives them the best chance at winning given where they are at, and the problems opposing teams present. It’s going to be an interesting season, if they can really coach at the highest level, and they get good QB play they could surprise everyone, if they don’t, it could get ugly, but at least it will be interesting.

As far as the overall picture goes I think Belichick realizes they simply are not going to be able to win Lombardi’s by engaging in shoot outs with the top teams in the AFC. So his answer to this is to return to the approach he took with his first Patriots Dynasty.
The problem is that the game has changed since the halcyon days of 2003-2004 where they would let you play D. The league has moved towards having that big playmakers at WR and/or mobile or running QB's. The Pats are have-nots at those two positions. (and I like Mac)

I watched the Bill Belichick and O'Brien press conferences this morning and there's been a CLEAR shift in messaging. Suddenly, both Bills are ready and willing to talk about Mac Jones. The very first time someone says "quarterbacks", O'Brien immediately answers "Mac Jones has been great" and goes on to compliment him quite a bit, despite refusing to talk about him at all last week. Meanwhile, Belichick says that he feels the same way he did about Mac last offseason and that "Mac's been our guy for two years" implying that he still is. Both men said that it's a competition and that Mac needs to establish himself in the offense and essentially beat out Zappe, but there was a very stark shift in messaging about Mac. In my opinion - there was a trade possibility on the table, it didn't happen, so now it's clear to engage in Mac discussion and he's the guy for 2023 but they'll still give Zappe a chance to beat him out.

Ideal 4th round for me

WR: AT Perry or Tyler Scott or Trey Palmer

OT: Dawand Jones or Blake Freeland or Jaelyn Duncan

DT: Jaquelin Roy or Moro Ojomo

TE: Davis Allen or Zach Kuntz

I hope Billy doesn't go overboard with a trade-up like he did for Barmore... Two 4ths to move up just eight spots was too much.
Really,really like that the teams focus on defense adding youth and strengthen some areas. I'm sure we'll focus on offense in the 4th round with multiple picks.. however I'm not complaining. Still feel like a trade for a veteran at WR is possible

I watched the Bill Belichick and O'Brien press conferences this morning and there's been a CLEAR shift in messaging. Suddenly, both Bills are ready and willing to talk about Mac Jones. The very first time someone says "quarterbacks", O'Brien immediately answers "Mac Jones has been great" and goes on to compliment him quite a bit, despite refusing to talk about him at all last week. Meanwhile, Belichick says that he feels the same way he did about Mac last offseason and that "Mac's been our guy for two years" implying that he still is. Both men said that it's a competition and that Mac needs to establish himself in the offense and essentially beat out Zappe, but there was a very stark shift in messaging about Mac. In my opinion - there was a trade possibility on the table, it didn't happen, so now it's clear to engage in Mac discussion and he's the guy for 2023 but they'll still give Zappe a chance to beat him out.
Yeah... I saw the same thing. Clearly internally they must've had a discussion about the last interview with the media.

What's interesting is they keep saying Mac has to earn it. The kid fought his way into being a starter showed promise in his rookie season. I'd like the team to take accountability for last season. I like that since they won't do it the media does it for them. Mac is the starting QB for this team and in my opinion gives the team the best chance to win. I like zappe and I think he's a great back up option to have.

Everyone is ASSUMING that this kid is a SS. There are a number of highly athletic LB's that are playing very well in this league. I was looking at Overshawn in this role in the 4th, but he also went in the 3rd

BTW- those not high on Maptu's college background would probably want Matt Judon to return his 20 odd sacks back to that football powerhouse of Grand Valley St, wherever that is. At least I know where Sacramento St is.

Hey the pick is a surprise to me too, but so what. But the only thing I'm disappointed in day 2 is the fact we still have 9 picks for tomorrow. We needed to get back into the 3rd to get another day 2 pick. I can only assume they felt that the people they want are still there in the 4th where they can pretty much control the round.

But remember this, after tomorrow only their accountants, fans, and talk show hosts will give a **** about what round they went in. Because come Sunday, they will merely be 8-10 random rookies struggling to make a 53 man roster.
We seem to be hearing more about competition than we have for a while. Clean slate ... everyone competing for a job. I wonder if they are making all the picks because they really want to have a more competitive training camp than recent years? Set a tone kind of thing? Some surprise cuts.

Am I the only one who loves having four 4th round picks?
It is like round 2 in that you get to re-set your board, and have the chance to grab good players who may have slipped through from the first two days.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back