PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2023 Patriots Draft Day Discussion: Round 2/3

It's gonna be awkward in the Denver receiver room where they spent all offseason talking about trading both of their top receivers, didn't trade them, and then instead traded up with their first pick to draft... another receiver.

It's gonna be awkward in the Denver receiver room where they spent all offseason talking about trading both of their top receivers, didn't trade them, and then instead traded up with their first pick to draft... another receiver.
Sounds like the Lions.

Same also with Joeslow Williams and N’Keal Harry.

Actually more like Duggar and all the same people hated that pick. Now Duggar will cost a mint to resign next year because he is a star. Very similar. Not like N'Keal at all. N'Keal was a WR, not a safety/LB.

Denver also does not pick again until the middle of the 6th round. I bet some 4ths sound mighty appealing today.

I don’t think it’s a mystery Ken, he went to the Draft expecting to be a first round pick with a nice big signing bonus and contract, ended up not being taken in the first round, and was really pissed off about it. It’s hard to blame him for that. The stories about how miserable Brady’s Draft experience was are legend now, he thought he was going to be an insurance salesman. Like Brady he will get over it, and when he realizes the opportunity in front of him he will make the most of it.

It’s no secret that I went into this draft wanting them to add some explosive weapons on offense, players like Bijan Robinson, Gibbs, and Zay Flowers, but I still believe that the best way to build a Championship caliber team is by drafting the best players , and not for need. I’m not saying that need doesn’t come into the equation, but I don’t believe that going into a draft and picking an OT in the first, CB in the 2nd etc… because those are your most notable holes is the way to build the strongest team.

I think there has been a noticeable shift in the way the Patriots have been drafting in recent years, and I think many here are seeing the same thing, and I really like it, and believe in it. It was clear in the Buffalo playoff loss 2 years ago that they were slower and less athletic than the best teams in the league, and over their past few drafts they have been adding more speed, athleticism, and high end talent to the team, and that’s exactly what they did in the first 2 rounds of this Draft, and I think we will see more of the same today.

I know many here hate to do this, but I think Belichick deserves a ton of credit for the approach he’s taking, it’s as good an example of putting the team first as it gets. I think most coaches on the verge of both retirement, and the All Time Wins record would throw every resource the franchise has into winning now, like giving up the house to sign Aaron Rodgers, overpriced free agents, and overpaying to move up in the Draft. Instead Belichick appears to be sticking to building as good a team as he can without mortgaging the future, and leaving the next coach/GM with no resources. I know what Parcells would have done, and it isn’t this. Ultimately I think that this will leave Belichick without both the Lombardi without Brady, and short of the wins record, but it will leave the next regime ( Groh/Mayo) with a very good younger team that has both the draft resources, and cap situation to get over the top, and bring more Championships to New England. People can trash Belichick all they want, I have nothing but respect for him, and the approach he is taking, even though it means that it’s less likely they will prevail in the short term. I’m not saying I agree with every move he makes, but I respect his willingness to put the best interests of the franchise over his own legacy.

Both Gonzalez and White are top of the Draft talents that will need to be coached up to reach their peak as players, but I think that’s exactly what you want, as opposed to prospects who are already close to their playing ceilings. Gonzalez gives them a 20 year old version of Stephon Gilmore, and while I like their young DB’s they needed one with the speed and length to shut down the top WR’s in the league. White gives them a really nasty pass rusher, to add to an already strong pass rush. I think that when he’s used inside with Barmore it is going to give them the interior pass rush that will force QB’s into the arms of Judon and Uche coming from the outside. And I’m really looking forward to watching their defense this season.

As far as the overall picture goes I think Belichick realizes they simply are not going to be able to win Lombardi’s by engaging in shoot outs with the top teams in the AFC. So his answer to this is to return to the approach he took with his first Patriots Dynasty. They are going to try to use a ball control, game management offense, with a strong run game and a focus on TOP and field position, with a really nasty defense that can get after the QB, and turn the ball over on defense. Will it work, we will see? But it probably gives them the best chance at winning given where they are at, and the problems opposing teams present. It’s going to be an interesting season, if they can really coach at the highest level, and they get good QB play they could surprise everyone, if they don’t, it could get ugly, but at least it will be interesting.
Agree with all of this.

He's building a team.

And if the defense elevates to that 2018 level, then we can win with the 2008 version of Matt Cassel.

Big miss not getting back into the top 100. Hate that we have 9 picks tomorrow. After the shrine bowl we could've found depth from UDFA's.

Yea I’m real disappointed they didn’t trade up for more day 2 picks

I’m gonna be pissed if they sit tight and draft 8 players in rounds 4 and 6, because most of them aren’t making the team and Probly won’t hold on the practice squad either

At least our defense has a chance to be dominant

I do think there's a trade for an offensive player on the cards today. I doubt it's D-Hop after his public show of disdain towards a trade here. Maybe Jeudy? Highly unlikely to be Tee Higgins. Maybe someone we haven't even considered?

I watched the Bill Belichick and O'Brien press conferences this morning and there's been a CLEAR shift in messaging. Suddenly, both Bills are ready and willing to talk about Mac Jones. The very first time someone says "quarterbacks", O'Brien immediately answers "Mac Jones has been great" and goes on to compliment him quite a bit, despite refusing to talk about him at all last week. Meanwhile, Belichick says that he feels the same way he did about Mac last offseason and that "Mac's been our guy for two years" implying that he still is. Both men said that it's a competition and that Mac needs to establish himself in the offense and essentially beat out Zappe, but there was a very stark shift in messaging about Mac. In my opinion - there was a trade possibility on the table, it didn't happen, so now it's clear to engage in Mac discussion and he's the guy for 2023 but they'll still give Zappe a chance to beat him out.
Could be. Also could have been a bit of a smokescreen - both to put a message out there to Mac (no need to rehash all that), and to try to confuse other teams about their draft intentions. Would be nice if a respectable reporter (and not a yellow journalist) can find out and report the truth at some later date.

Could be. Also could have been a bit of a smokescreen - both to put a message out there to Mac (no need to rehash all that), and to try to confuse other teams about their draft intentions. Would be nice if a respectable reporter (and not a yellow journalist) can find out and report the truth at some later date.
They did already. Local Pats beat reporters called the teams who were named in the "report" and none of them said Mac's name wasn't mentioned in trade talks. But that all got buried because people like the "Mac's on the trading block" storyline.

A team with a solid defense and suspect offense.

Top WRs don't materialize out of thin air.

So, trade the #14 pick for Jeudy? That was the play to get a bonafide top receiver in here.

In terms of team-building, would you really recommend we trade the #14 for Jeff Jeudy? Instead of landing Christian Gonzalez?

Because these are the ACTUAL things Belichick needs to weigh.

IMO, team building is taking Christian Gonzalez INSTEAD of Jeudy.

I don't see the shift in messaging. It was a shift in questioning. Belichick was first asked whether Mac is solid at the top in terms of being the team's QB, and he reverted for a full paragraph to the same message of the previous weeks: Mac needs to earn his job just like everyone. The message seems to be that Zappe is not locked out of the competition, so naturally that's the way Belichick answered it.

Someone altered the question and asked if Belichick retained the same enthusiasm for Mac that he had last year prior to the season. And that's when Belichick answered absolutely in the affirmative. These are two different questions.

After all, Belichick could've added, "I am just as enthusiastic about Mac as I was last summer, but it's certainly possible Zappe beats him out!"

Top WRs don't materialize out of thin air.

So, trade the #14 pick for Jeudy? That was the play to get a bonafide top receiver in here.

In terms of team-building, would you really recommend we trade the #14 for Jeff Jeudy? Instead of landing Christian Gonzalez?

Because these are the ACTUAL things Belichick needs to weigh.

IMO, team building is taking Christian Gonzalez INSTEAD of Jeudy.
I never mentioned Jeudy. They could have traded up to take a WR if they wanted to.

I would have rather they taken a LT. BB said they addressed that in FA....he did not. I hope Mac likes a guy flying in on his blindside every other play. The D's going to have to be excellent to make up for the lack of young talent on offense.

I never mentioned Jeudy. They could have traded up to take a WR if they wanted to.

I would have rather they taken a LT. BB said they addressed that in FA....he did not. I hope Mac likes a guy flying in on his blindside every other play. The D's going to have to be excellent to make up for the lack of young talent on offense.
Traded up for who?

You're talking about one of the guys who went in the early 20s? Because sending them 4ths would've have accomplished that.

I'm also a huge Keion White fan so it would take me an enormous amount of convincing.

The trading up to 20-24 would've been super costly. I'd love to hear someone come up with a trade package for that.

Agree with the problem at tackle, but I'm not sure what could've been done about it, since there were only 2 tackles available, they both signed massive contracts, and neither of them are anything other than adequate really.

You might as well just skip this season, then. Please.
No thanks. I will keep following the team closely. Had high hopes for an offense for a booster with elite talent in rounds 1-3. I was very frustrated after the pick and let loose.

I believe this will be another non playoff lost season in year 4 of rebuild.
Will their defense be good, probably. But I have seen this draft strategy play out before with disappointing results
If you are a passionate pats fan you react to hearing the same song play over and over.
Does not make you less of a fan

I dunno. I'm not a draftnick.

I'm talking in the first round, BTW.
Yes, I know, I'm talking 1st round too.

But that's the problem.

The WRs went all in a row 3 spots after Gonzalez

So, it's trade down and select a WR and give up Gonzalez at that point.

But 3 of the WRs in question were all slot guys, none of them big, none of them a burner.

A great argument could be made that all 3 are just excellent route runners.

The 4th guy is a big bloke who runs off balance and has difficulty using his size to bully the ball from defenders.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back