PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

I’m sure I will get blasted for this but oh well. In total agreement on taking bpa at 14. Other than OT, I don’t see a glaring need (not saying we wouldn’t like upgrades at WR/CB/etc…) on the roster. Take the best player at that point. I do think we need to come out of the 14/46 picks with a starting caliber OT though.
No blasting here. I think that they need to ignore position (except perhaps RB) and draft someone who they believe has pro- bowl potential. They need talent upgrades all over.

I’m sure I will get blasted for this but oh well. In total agreement on taking bpa at 14. Other than OT, I don’t see a glaring need (not saying we wouldn’t like upgrades at WR/CB/etc…) on the roster. Take the best player at that point. I do think we need to come out of the 14/46 picks with a starting caliber OT though.
My point is I would like to see a diamond on our roster because now we do not have any. Ok, maybe Judon is really shining. And I know "we build a team...not collect talents" but now talents are coveted to bolster that team.

Yep, thats about his worth.
Why Billy felt he had to hugely overpay for mediocre non-versatile WR in depressed covid salary cap market (42M lower than 2023) remains as baffling as it was upon signing..
Because that was what the FEW proven WRs in FA cost that year. Did you see the contracts for Golloday and Corey Davis?

Agholor was the cheapest of the bunch.
The top-drawer WRs - Hill, Brown, etc. - don't seem to be reaching FA anymore.

Because that was what the FEW proven WRs in FA cost that year. Did you see the contracts for Golloday and Corey Davis?

Agholor was the cheapest of the bunch.
The top-drawer WRs - Hill, Brown, etc. - don't seem to be reaching FA anymore.

Jeff Howe had a good article today over at 'The Athletic' about why the WR market isn't as active as last year....

- JuJu, Lazard, and Meyers all got contracts with an AAV of ~11M.
- Broncos and Cardinals aren't gonna let Jeudy/Hopkins go for peanuts because supply is low and demand is high.
- Cook got moved because he was disgruntled and Houston was picking up some of his salary.
- Elijah Moore was traded for an upgrade from 3rd to 2nd round.
- The draft is the best vehicle to find an elite low cost #1 WR.

================

Sometimes it is better to wait....and wait...the time will come when we can pounce on an elite #1 WR....or we can (gasp)....draft one! If anything, we screwed up with N'Keal massively in a DEEP WR draft...and we are still paying the price for that. Had we gotten A.J. Brown......2019 would have turned out VERY DIFFERENTLY....just shoot me...

Jeff Howe had a good article today over at 'The Athletic' about why the WR market isn't as active as last year....

- Broncos and Cardinals aren't gonna let Jeudy/Hopkins go for peanuts because supply is low and demand is high.
- Cook got moved because he was disgruntled and Houston was picking up some of his salary.

================

Sometimes it is better to wait....and wait...the time will come when we can pounce on an elite #1 WR....or we can (gasp)....draft one! If anything, we screwed up with N'Keal massively in a DEEP WR draft...and we are still paying the price for that. Had we gotten A.J. Brown......2019 would have turned out VERY DIFFERENTLY....just shoot me...
Harry hurt a lot, I agree.

If you look at Agholor's last 4 years before signing in New England, he had 2700+ yards in 59 games - and he got the same contract as Meyers, but for 2 years instead of 3.
It turns out that the Pats overpaid for production, but they didn't overpay for the expectation of what he could do here (and a lot of what happened with him, Smith, and Henry had to do with QB and particularly with coaching). I was never a fan of Agholor, to be honest, and that long before he got here. But he was worth the shot (I think Corey Davis is worth the shot now, by the way, but he'll be cheaper after the JETE debacle), and at least they took the shot.

Yep, thats about his worth.
Why Billy felt he had to hugely overpay for mediocre non-versatile WR in depressed covid salary cap market (42M lower than 2023) remains as baffling as it was upon signing..
??

He had more production back then.

He's coming off 2 underwhelming years.

================

I agree with everything you said except for waiting. If they truly want a #1 (I could care less.) then they need to be aggressive and get one. They’ve been waiting, and waiting and waiting, and yet here we are.

I agree with everything you said except for waiting. If they truly want a #1 (I could care less.) then they need to be aggressive and get one. They’ve been waiting, and waiting and waiting, and yet here we are.

Yeah, but there isn’t a guy like Adams/Hill/Chase/Jefferson available…not even Higgins is available…

I’d be OK with being aggro for that level of talent….

D.Hop is fantastic…but 31 and slated to earn 53M the next two seasons.

Juedy has upside, but has not yet put it together fully..and the Broncos’ asking price is too rich for my blood.

Now, if we wanted to send our 1st the next two years for someone like Chase….I wouldn’t hate it so much…..

Uh... good luck. Cooks netted a 5th and 6th and Houston had to eat most of his salary. And he's younger.

I wonder if the price comes down on draft day, or if they will just wait and accept ‘24 picks for him.

They really are slow playing it as if they had leverage and keeping Hopkins was an option.

What receiver is out there we haven’t even mentioned?
Rams maybe willing to trade Kupp and completely rebuild.

Bengals- Higgins or Boyd
Colts- Michael Pittman rumors they were willing to shop him.
Ravens- Rashad Bateman he’s made some critical comments about the coaches and front office.
Steelers- Dionte Johnson with Pickens looking like a stud and Steelers don’t like paying offensive players.
Seahawks- Tyler Lockett
Bucs Mike Evans may want to stockpile picks to rebuild

Just some possible players we maybe able to grab in a trade.

I think the plan is to hope/expect Thornton can become a Hill or Waddle type of speedy threat. Or even Tyler Lockett. Hopkins or Jeudy are just too expensive.

What receiver is out there we haven’t even mentioned?
Rams maybe willing to trade Kupp and completely rebuild.

Bengals- Higgins or Boyd
Colts- Michael Pittman rumors they were willing to shop him.
Ravens- Rashad Bateman he’s made some critical comments about the coaches and front office.
Steelers- Dionte Johnson with Pickens looking like a stud and Steelers don’t like paying offensive players.
Seahawks- Tyler Lockett
Bucs Mike Evans may want to stockpile picks to rebuild

Just some possible players we maybe able to grab in a trade.
I don't see the Bengals letting Higgins go. I think they sign him and let Boyd go next off-season (but will keep Boyd for his last year to maximize their talent on offense for another SB run).

Evans isn't worth $23M.

I think the plan is to hope/expect Thornton can become a Hill or Waddle type of speedy threat. Or even Tyler Lockett. Hopkins or Jeudy are just too expensive.
Yeah I am sure they have hopes for him. If he develops then I can see them continuing to use Parker as a low end #1. Parker/Juju/Thornton plus Gesicki and Henry is not too bad, and Bourne is there as well who can sub in. But I imagine they’d like to upgrade Parker’s spot at the right price.

Yeah I am sure they have hopes for him. If he develops then I can see them continuing to use Parker as a low end #1. Parker/Juju/Thornton plus Gesicki and Henry is not too bad, and Bourne is there as well who can sub in. But I imagine they’d like to upgrade Parker’s spot at the right price.
We'd probably win the Super Bowl in 2019 if we had those guys on offense.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back