PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

Still think that Corey Davis can help some team, including ours.
I've been ringing that bell for months. Jets weren't likely keeping him and he was snake-bitten (big surprise, I know). He's coming in as a buy-low in the market, but when I watched him, he passes the eye test. Big and smart, super productive.

Probably our 1st Round 4 pick too. - haha
I'm not a draft guy so my opinion should (and does) mean nothing, but I will say that having a good kicker is often the difference between winning a game and losing it. I'm okay overpaying for a kicker if it means having a good one.

I've been ringing that bell for months. Jets weren't likely keeping him and he was snake-bitten (big surprise, I know). He's coming in as a buy-low in the market, but when I watched him, he passes the eye test. Big and smart, super productive.
Not to sound like a jerk, but by what metric has he ever been super productive. He has never had a 70 catch, 1000 yard or 6 TD season. I am not saying he can’t help, but he has never been productive. He has averaged less than 50 receiving yards a game and less than a TD every 4 games.

Not to sound like a jerk, but by what metric has he ever been super productive. He has never had a 70 catch, 1000 yard or 6 TD season. I am not saying he can’t help, but he has never been productive. He has averaged less than 50 receiving yards a game and less than a TD every 4 games.
Years 2-4 with the Titans - 45 games, 55yards/per game - 12 games, 984 yards in 2020. A couple of middling injuries and he only played 22 games in two years with the JETE 9and that QB nonsense they had going) and still averages 47ypg. His pre-JETE production has been very similar to Meyers.

Meyers: 344 targets, 2,758 yards, 60 games
Davis: 338 targets, 2,851 yards, 56 games
Semantically, I should have used a better term than "super-productive," sure. But those numbers aren't bad, especially playing on the run-heavy Titans.
If Juju and Jakobi had a baby, his name would be Corey Davis. And the baby will be way cheaper than either of the parents.

A couple relevant quotes from Jeff Howe in his article posted today:

The Broncos have had numerous discussions about Jeudy and Sutton, and the Cardinals have made calls about Hopkins, according to league sources. But the asking prices have remained high on a couple of fronts because the Broncos and Cardinals are hoping to exercise the leverage of having the supply when other teams have the demand.
With a new Cardinals regime, headed by GM Monti Ossenfort and coach Jonathan Gannon, rival teams know Hopkins would be a salary dump, which significantly reduces his trade value. That’s why teams like the Patriots, who had an early conversation with the Cardinals, don’t plan to pursue him unless there’s a substantial change in philosophy, according to a league source.
The Broncos have told teams they want at least a first-round pick for Jeudy, according to league sources.
Either way, to this point there’s been no deal as the Broncos continue to think more highly of Jeudy than other teams, at least in terms of price point. Sutton’s name has also come up, but he isn’t viewed as a No. 1 receiver, so the Broncos’ asking price has remained too high for him as well, according to league source
Seems like the Pats aren't getting either of those guys unless the Cards/Broncos price comes down.

The AFCE could suddenly become the division with serious WR-duos/trios.
Fins - Hill & Waddle (one of best)
Bills - Diggs & Hopkins(?) (top 5)
Jets - Wilson & Lazard & Hardman (with Rogers, good)
and.... Pats - Juju & Parker & Bourne (if all play at their career best, could be competitive)

A couple relevant quotes from Jeff Howe in his article posted today:

Seems like the Pats aren't getting either of those guys unless the Cards/Broncos price comes down.
I don’t think D-Hop was ever an option. Once BOB was hired that was it. The reports on the Broncos ask for Juedy have been all over the place.

The AFCE could suddenly become the division with serious WR-duos/trios.
Fins - Hill & Waddle (one of best)
Bills - Diggs & Hopkins(?) (top 5)
Jets - Wilson & Lazard & Hardman (with Rogers, good)
and.... Pats - Juju & Parker & Bourne (if all play at their career best, could be competitive)
I love the and...when you got to the Pats those names don't move the needle much less strike fear.

Years 2-4 with the Titans - 45 games, 55yards/per game - 12 games, 984 yards in 2020. A couple of middling injuries and he only played 22 games in two years with the JETE 9and that QB nonsense they had going) and still averages 47ypg. His pre-JETE production has been very similar to Meyers.

Semantically, I should have used a better term than "super-productive," sure. But those numbers aren't bad, especially playing on the run-heavy Titans.
If Juju and Jakobi had a baby, his name would be Corey Davis. And the baby will be way cheaper than either of the parents.
I don’t disagree, but this whole situation is kind of funny to me. On this board, we melt down about N’Keal being drafted in the first. Many are still scarred about drafting Chad Jackson, in the second round, more than 15 years ago. The Titans drafted Davis at 1.5, ahead of Mahomes. Here, you are comparing the 1.5 pick’s stats to an undrafted FA stats. While that doesn’t really matter now, on this board we take NE players’ draft position very seriously, long after the draft.

Again, I think Davis could help the team, and would prefer him to Parker. But is Davis had been drafted by the Patriots at 1.5 and produced similarly, he would be viewed as a historic bust.

I really thought about Corey Davis too very surprised his market have been so quiet. I give him an excuse with Jets might be a nice signing that won't be too costly a low risk high reward he's a better player than Parker.

I don’t disagree, but this whole situation is kind of funny to me. On this board, we melt down about N’Keal being drafted in the first. Many are still scarred about drafting Chad Jackson, in the second round, more than 15 years ago. The Titans drafted Davis at 1.5, ahead of Mahomes. Here, you are comparing the 1.5 pick’s stats to an undrafted FA stats. While that doesn’t really matter now, on this board we take NE players’ draft position very seriously, long after the draft.

Again, I think Davis could help the team, and would prefer him to Parker. But is Davis had been drafted by the Patriots at 1.5 and produced similarly, he would be viewed as a historic bust.

I've seen this "1.5" referenced a few times now, but I don't know what that means. It's one of those, "I don't know what it means, and at this point I'm afraid to ask" kind of deals. What's that referring to?

I really thought about Corey Davis too very surprised his market have been so quiet. I give him an excuse with Jets might be a nice signing that won't be too costly a low risk high reward he's a better player than Parker.
outside of 2 season corey davis has not been good and even in this two years he did not surpass 1000 yards. He never managed more than 1000 yards, he also never had more than 5 TD. He is definitely not a #1 WR.
I would rather go with jeudy than davis.

I've seen this "1.5" referenced a few times now, but I don't know what that means. It's one of those, "I don't know what it means, and at this point I'm afraid to ask" kind of deals. What's that referring to?
No problem! Questions are good and admitting you don’t know something is admirable. Davis was selected as fifth pick in the Round 1, which is sometimes referred to as 1.5.

outside of 2 season corey davis has not been good and even in this two years he did not surpass 1000 yards. He never managed more than 1000 yards, he also never had more than 5 TD. He is definitely not a #1 WR.
I would rather go with jeudy than davis.
Vintage RB Derrick Henry and WR A.J Brown for a spell not much Davis could do there.

No problem! Questions are good and admitting you don’t know something is admirable. Davis was selected as fifth pick in the Round 1, which is sometimes referred to as 1.5.

Ah, thank you, I had never seen it referenced quite that way.

The Broncos can keep him then. Only way I give them a 1st for Jeudy is if we trade to the mid to late 20s. #14 for Jeudy is an absolute deal breaker….unless we get the #67 or #68 as well. Then maybe

Vintage RB Derrick Henry and WR A.J Brown for a spell not much Davis could do there.
They weren’t vintage then though. Davis could have easily established himself as a go to guy; he just didn’t. Davis was drafted in 2017 and AJ Brown was drafted in 2019- and AJ outproduced Davis immediately. In 2017, Henry was just a platoon power back guy. Henry didn’t have his first 1000 yard rushing season until 2018, and then he still had less than 1100 yards and 225 carries. It was until 2019 that they started really giving him the ball.

Again, this isn’t to say Davis can’t come in somewhere and really contribute. It is simply to say that we will make excuses/rationalizations for non-Patriots players when if they did the same thing for the Patriots, they would be villianized.

Last edited:
No way I trade #14 for Jeudy even after a trade down. The Patriots NEVER get a chance to select a premium player. The guy we get at #24 is not nearly the same caliber as the guy we get at #14. That's how the first round works.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back