PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

We'd probably win the Super Bowl in 2019 if we had those guys on offense.
Not with 4 OL hurt. Marshall Newhouse as your LT was painful. Jerry Rice wouldn't have been much help.

Our OL was so bad that year, Thuney was the only healthy player. Injuries at Center, LT, RT and Mason was out there playing with a torn ligament. The entire OL except for Thuney as a MASG unit.

Yeah I am sure they have hopes for him. If he develops then I can see them continuing to use Parker as a low end #1. Parker/Juju/Thornton plus Gesicki and Henry is not too bad, and Bourne is there as well who can sub in. But I imagine they’d like to upgrade Parker’s spot at the right price.

I want to see Thornton's spot up-graded.

I don’t think outside CB should even be in the conversation. Marcus Jones is a slot CB through and through. He also excels at PR.

You mentioned aspects that could cause injury at CB just like any other CB :thumbsup:
Does it matter that Marcus is much better as an outside corner?

I disagree that M Jones cannot play outside. He did at times this year and was fine. Height is overrated.
I believe that Marcus has played more outside.

Meanwhile, Little Bill's added ZEE-RO new DBs since the league year began... I mean how the **** is that even ****ing possible?!?

Murphy-Bunting did not have much of a market - BB was not the only GM unimpressed. I assume the draft is OL and DB followed by IOL and FS in the 4th.

Lots of cap to resign the guys that perform well this year plus a few more. It does feel like we are forever pushing the rebuild into the future. Hopefully the Pats surprise in 2023 and are back in the hunt in 2024. Can't see a SB run this year (even though 2001 happened).

He re-signed several clearly BB likes the group he has already.

Agreed. Swapping out Jonnu and Meyers for Gesicki and JuJu might have been BOB'S requests. Bill likes his D which I assume he likes the Jones bothers and maybe a few others. Perkins? Roberts? Peppers?

Agreed. Swapping out Jonnu and Meyers for Gesicki and JuJu might have been BOB'S requests. Bill likes his D which I assume he likes the Jones bothers and maybe a few others. Perkins? Roberts? Peppers?
He’s pretty much kept the entire defense intact except for McCourty’s retirement. Mills didn’t play much so if he moves to safety then that covers that gap without really taking away anything from the CB room that was out there last year. I think Bill looks at the defense and says “this unit was great last year, if we could’ve done a damn thing on offense they would’ve been on the field less and been even better. They’re good enough as constructed to be competitive.” Hard to disagree, if BOB can take this group with the couple additions so far and whatever comes later and in the draft and make them into at least a league average offense, the defense should be more than fine. I have to imagine some defensive picks will be made in the draft though, there won’t be 11 picks all on offense and ST.

I have to imagine some defensive picks will be made in the draft though, there won’t be 11 picks all on offense and ST.

Probably not 11 picks on Offense, but could be 11 picks for Special Teams. Haha.

I hope we get a difference maker with BPA at 14 - I love Van Ness, so talented and only a sophomore, huge ceiling. After that we do need to start replacing the OTs. Maybe they think last year's 7th round kid from MI is good enough for RT? Seems to be a bunch of CBs, WRs and TEs this year. Would love a 3rd down back for the future.

Probably not 11 picks on Offense, but could be 11 picks for Special Teams. Haha.

I hope we get a difference maker with BPA at 14 - I love Van Ness, so talented and only a sophomore, huge ceiling. After that we do need to start replacing the OTs. Maybe they think last year's 7th round kid from MI is good enough for RT? Seems to be a bunch of CBs, WRs and TEs this year. Would love a 3rd down back for the future.
I'd ideally like to go CB, OT or WR with the first pick, but beyond that they should be relatively free to go "best player available", probably with a bit of emphasis on tackles and TEs due to either a talent deficiency or strength of the class.

I'd ideally like to go CB, OT or WR with the first pick, but beyond that they should be relatively free to go "best player available", probably with a bit of emphasis on tackles and TEs due to either a talent deficiency or strength of the class.

Honestly, I think the team's philosophy right now is pretty clear. Kraft has talked about how the best teams build through the draft. Groh, a guy with a background in amateur scouting, was promoted to top personnel dog. And outside of 2021, Belichick as a GM has never really gone hog wild in free agency... big splash here or there of course, but usually this is what they do: Fill the holes in the roster with low to mid-level vets who can start if it comes to that, then use the draft to stock young talent that hopefully wins the job (but doesn't HAVE to be ready to start day one).

I think their OT situation could be stronger in this regard, but they at least have three vets to compete for the spot opposite Trent Brown. CB (as you said above) is basically the same as it was last year, and the defense was pretty good. WR still needs a body (luke warm one at best) to replace Agholor, but otherwise is pretty much where it was in 2022, and same with TE.

All in all, I think they're in good position to take the best player who drops to 14, whether that be OT, WR, or CB. And given there could be 4 QB's taken before that, I'd say chances are really good that a really good talent is there at one of those positions.

Meanwhile, Little Bill's added ZEE-RO new DBs since the league year began... I mean how the **** is that even ****ing possible?!?
They resigned Pepper and Jonathan Jones, kept Jalen Mills.
They lost only McCourty, who you hated anyway. They may need one more back there - seems likely they'll draft one high, but who knows?
They've got pretty much the same D as last year, which was decidedly NOT a weakness on the team.

They resigned Pepper and Jonathan Jones, kept Jalen Mills.
They lost only McCourty, who you hated anyway. They may need one more back there - seems likely they'll draft one high, but who knows?
They've got pretty much the same D as last year, which was decidedly NOT a weakness on the team.
There’s two DBs I really like late.
Moss and Gilmore.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes