PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

Yes agreed! Over the years from Hines ward, Mike Wallace on and on of course AB, Santonio holmes.. it's laughable that we were so awful at picking WRs.. even bad teams were hitting on WRs..
Pitt also had Swann and Stallworth in the 70s, they weren't half bad either :whistle: .

You could easily say that 2 of the 3 best WR the Pats have drafted came in the 7th round (Givens & Edelman). Let's not forget the Terry Glynn and Irving Fryer faceplants either. Branch, Givens, and Edelman and 2 of them were flyer picks in the 7th round!

Taking Thorton over Pickens will end up looking as bad as the Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap pick looks now.

Pitt also had Swann and Stallworth in the 70s, they weren't half bad either :whistle: .

You could easily say that 2 of the 3 best WR the Pats have drafted came in the 7th round (Givens & Edelman). Let's not forget the Terry Glynn and Irving Fryer faceplants either. Branch, Givens, and Edelman and 2 of them were flyer picks in the 7th round!

Taking Thorton over Pickens will end up looking as bad as the Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap pick looks now.
Yes those Steelers greats played in a time where WRs were battered all the way down field! Rest his soul Glenn was a great WR as was fryar. Thornton I believe has something special about him.. that's elite speed.. I think we may be ok there.. we'll see. Taylor price, Chad Jackson, bethel Johnson, Harry. All bad BB era picks. Cunningham could never stay healthy enough to be on the field to make an impact.. like Rivers..

Terry Glenn and Irving Fryer with a combined 1444 receptions and 128 TDs were faceplants??

O’Brien. For the love of God. Please and thank you.
Watching the BOB & groh media interviews... not referring to Mac nor zappe by name.. maybe I'm making much of nothing, or maybe not.

However it just FEELS like something is up, and at this point someone is going to be traded..

Watching the BOB & groh media interviews... not referring to Mac nor zappe by name.. maybe I'm making much of nothing, or maybe not.

However it just FEELS like something is up, and at this point someone is going to be traded..

I think you're making much of nothing at this point. Notice too that Groh, when asked about how he felt about the tackle position, didn't mention anyone by name either. He said something like, "We've added some guys, and still have some guys." (I'll try to find the exact quote if I can). I think the only thing I'm reading from any of these coach/executive interviews is that there's been a strong missive to get back to emphasizing team over individuals, at least in press conferences.

EDIT: In this interview, quote is a bit long for me to transcribe, but you can find the question and answer at 18:10. Basically says, we added some, retained some, had a carryover, got a good mix of veteran and LT/RT versatility. Never mentions anyone by name:

Last edited:
I think you're making much of nothing at this point. Notice too that Groh, when asked about how he felt about the tackle position, didn't mention anyone by name either. He said something like, "We've added some guys, and still have some guys." (I'll try to find the exact quote if I can). I think the only thing I'm reading from any of these coach/executive interviews is that there's been a strong missive to get back to emphasizing team over individuals, at least in press conferences.
Thank you for that... I like to put that question out there sometimes one can read into something sometimes. I think just everything that's gone on last season and the offseason had me under that impression..

Or - even Worse - taking him over Golden Tate... And that's another part of Bill's problems with WRs: he doesn't know when to draft them either.

Or - even Worse - taking him over Golden Tate... And that's another part of Bill's problems with WRs: he doesn't know when to draft them either.

I think that BB knows that WR is an area he's not good at evaluating in the college ranks. From 2005-2008 & 2012-2021, Josh McDaniels was almost exclusively responsible for picking the WRs the Patriots drafted. We know he was responsible for Chad Jackson, Dobson, Mitchell, Boyce, and Harry as it's been well documented. It is what caused the rift between Belichick and Daboll back in 2006.

But it's also well documented that BB prefers to have veteran WRs over rookies, though no one has really been able to establish the WHY of it beyond the fact that so many rookie WRs crash and burn.

It would be nice if they could find a WR whisperer as a scout, but when you look around the league, even the "BEST" team at drafting WRs has only like a 35% success rate.

I think that BB knows that WR is an area he's not good at evaluating in the college ranks. From 2005-2008 & 2012-2021, Josh McDaniels was almost exclusively responsible for picking the WRs the Patriots drafted. We know he was responsible for Chad Jackson, Dobson, Mitchell, Boyce, and Harry as it's been well documented. It is what caused the rift between Belichick and Daboll back in 2006.

But it's also well documented that BB prefers to have veteran WRs over rookies, though no one has really been able to establish the WHY of it beyond the fact that so many rookie WRs crash and burn.

It would be nice if they could find a WR whisperer as a scout, but when you look around the league, even the "BEST" team at drafting WRs has only like a 35% success rate.

I forgot all about Boyce wow.

That’s like waking up having a bucket of freezing water thrown on your head.
Thank you for that.

It's clear he wants to try to get a ring.
Cousins,
Quick breakfast of coffee and peppermint caramel creamer, OJ , fruit and a half of sticky bun heated......oh yeh, a few apple strudel bites.

The elephant in the room is still obvious but not called out more.
The main problem with the Pats offense is Teams do NOT have to game plan. The did NOT game plan for Meyers either. Thorton? ....JuJu?

Whether you like Hopkins or not, he might be that piece.

Leaning more toward Juedy. Now after looking at every one of these WR in this Draft, would you perhaps down trade once and give that first rounder to Denver for him? I would without a doubt.

Still say Ekeler could be a dangerout weapon as a Dee Bo option. Make that trade for this "slot receiver".

DW Toys

Moore was in for a free agent visit before re-signing with the Lions. They just cut him. Maybe he’ll be on the Pats’ radar again next offseason.

Moore was in for a free agent visit before re-signing with the Lions. They just cut him. Maybe he’ll be on the Pats’ radar again next offseason.

Stanley Berryhill and Jameson Williams were ALSO suspended for Gambling. Williams isn't doing himself any favors.. *SMH*

I looked for any news of this and found nothing.
This is the sort of breaking news that would be ALL OVER the networks.. Anything to get the gambling fiasco onto to back burner.

Notice there is no link..... Hmmm....
I found this tweet. If the account is who they say they are it’s a former player. Could have had the same agent as DH. Possibly knows something. Or not. Who knows.

I found this tweet. If the account is who they say they are it’s a former player. Could have had the same agent as DH. Possibly knows something. Or not. Who knows.

It’s all over radio here in Philly.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back