PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread: Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, this draft business is such a crapshoot, you just never know what your gonna get. Tyreek Hill was a 5th rounder, Anquon Boldin like a 7th or udfa. We got speed at a position we have lacked for years, yeah, it might of been a overdraft but it might turn out to be a gold mine as well.

Lol i
Agree with your first point. The second part of what you’re saying…go check out why tyreke fell and where anquan was picked

If the guy can bulk up , with his speed ,he could have a very high upside. I’m not saying he will ever be anywhere near as good as Tyreek Hill but that kind of speed can take the top off the defense and open up things for other players. The patriots needed this very badly last year

I also suspect Kraft urged Belicheck this year to draft some speed and potential playmakers in order to maintain fan interest while the team is in rebuild mode

Last edited:
So we do know that he can immediately get us an extra step or three on every return -- so, on a team that covets spec. teams contributions, check,. We know he runs in the 4.2s. So on a team without a burner, hey, he can win the footrace. The knock is that he's not "physical," i.e., he's not N'Keal Harry, who was supposed to be your guy for "just throw it up and he'll beat up the other guy."

I dunno. We started a run on receivers, we started it with a guy who runs in the 4.2s, traded up 4 spots and called the need to do it perfectly.

We don't know how it turned out until we know. We also know we have a bad track record at the position. But guys who just know he's not worth the pick or the trade up, well, that's past me (as is anybody who is fitting him for a ROY t-shirt. But nobody here does that for our own picks, just for other peoples.)
most kick offs are touchbacks

What did Nakobe Dean do, and who did he do it to?

I actually wanted Patriots to move UP in 1st round to get Jameson. That guy is fast, can go vertical, slot, everything. And he has excellent route running.....

:(

Despite preferring Skyy Moore, I'm a little intrigued by Thornton. He likely has the year to get stronger. At 6'2 180lbs, he can likely add 15 pounds without losing too much speed.

The Pats draft has certainly been about filling needs so far - gaping hole at guard, desperate need for speed at receiver. Now for some speed on defence.

Don’t tell me who to root for. We are allowed to complain about draft picks and not be bobos who just think bill can’t do anything wrong
There are many additional options.

As someone who's spent the last few months meticulously analyzing WR speeds, I'm absof*ckinglutely shocked. My wife asked me if the pick is good or bad, and I said, I don't know. This is going to take a while for me to process. Even my Al Davis eyes thought this guy wasn't on their radar.

Just to put this in perspective, I believe he has the 2nd fastest 10yd split of all time (1.41) 2nd only to Chris Johnson, but there's a lot of other stuff to talk about - good and bad, though I believe he does have the fastest HS 100m/200m in the draft (10.50/21.07 - not earth shattering but done as a junior in HS and might be wind aided). (EDIT: forgot about obvious Kalon Barnes at 10.22 duh)

Holy sh*t. I wish they just took Bo Melton so I don't feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

Also, Bethel Johnson was not as fast as people thought he was - can't find a good 100m time (with anecdotal evidence that he wasn't that fast) and his splits were 1.55/2.60/4.42. 1.55 was Jakobi's 10yd split for crying out loud.

Funnily enough, someone had Thornton mocked to #29 (to the Chiefs) and I thought they were nuts, although Al Davis disease is pretty easy to catch

In Troy I trust.

Last edited:
Dude, this draft business is such a crapshoot, you just never know what your gonna get. Tyreek Hill was a 5th rounder, Anquon Boldin like a 7th or udfa. We got speed at a position we have lacked for years, yeah, it might of been a overdraft but it might turn out to be a gold mine as well.
Anquan Boldin was a second or third I remember the analysts making fun of the cardinals and his 40.
I believe it was third round because they took Bryant Johnson in the second who ran a 4.3 was a bust boldin ran like a 4.7 and was a beast.

Yah. Can you please mail me the pill you guys take. I would love to just agree with everyone everyone says about anything and be bliss. I’m a human. I have emotions
We all have emotions, some of us just don’t just let them turn us into whiny *****es.
Let me ask you this.
Does your crying and griping do anything?
The player is going to be the player and do what he does whether you like, hate or are indifferent.
Wouldn’t you be a happier person if you recognized there are intelligent people making these decisions who have a lot more data and knowledge than you, and tried to understand what they see? Rather than just go off the rails?
You are complaining about your own prediction. Let it play out, be an optimist.

One thought: worth noting that BB traded up four spots to get a WR, and three of the next four picks are WRs.

I have no idea if anyone one else was coveting Thornton, but it does suggest they saw a likelihood he wouldn't be there at 54.
He correctly predicted the run on WRs. Whether he picked the right WR out of those 4 [Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, Moore], remains to be seen. But I will give BB credit for taking a swing for the fences pick to attempt to get Mac Jones a weapon.

They said on nfl network he has a medical issue. I think they said torn pec. Plus, if you watch him, his arms are reallly really short and he’s only 5’11. Zach Thomas was that size though. I wish we took him at 50

Yah. Can you please mail me the pill you guys take. I would love to just agree with everyone everyone says about anything and be bliss. I’m a human. I have emotions
I'm good with emotions, but try and keep them in check. I'm not saying we have to agree with everything they do, but at the same time, the ability to have the benefit of the doubt until we see this kid play would be my preference ;)

Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reported that there are teams concerned about Dean’s durability and injuries. Dean had labrum surgery following the 2021 season and missed some time as a freshman with an ankle injury. He did not miss a game during his Georgia career, it should be noted.

More recently, Dean suffered a pec injury that prevented him from fully working out at the combine and Georgia’s Pro Day. Pelissero reports that the injury is more serious than initially believed. Dean elected not to have surgery on the injury, instead opting for rehab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes