PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread: Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet, four of them were taken in the first round, three ahead of Strange.

I can't argue against this man because I know literally nothing about him.

All I'm saying is I think we have bigger holes and bigger needs with other players I think help alot more available at the time.

Shaq mason could of got us through the year just fine.
do you really feel Mason graded out superior last year? Overall I didn’t think the OL was a strength last year, definitely felt there was room for improvement. I figured that was why both Karrss and Mason were gone. And Strange was Bill’s OL binky that he wasn’t going to let get away.

do you really feel Mason graded out superior last year? Overall I didn’t think the OL was a strength last year, definitely felt there was room for improvement. I figured that was why both Karrss and Mason were gone. And Strange was Bill’s OL binky that he wasn’t going to let get away.

If bill thinks he's going to be able to go power and run his way toward a championship, those days are essentially dead.

My argument is that we could of got better value going defense than offensive line.

Obviously bill feels entirely different than I do on that.

No one on earth had this man penciled in as a first round pick except apparently the pats.

None of us even heard of him.

This pick is a reach. Which isn't to say bust.

Shaq mason could of got us through the year just fine.
Lots of people heard of him. Many people expected he was a day 2 pick for the Pats. Look at this Mike Reiss article from March.
New England Patriots' needs are glaring, and these NFL draft prospects could help

• Nagy's fit -- Zion Johnson (Boston College) and Cole Strange (UT-Chattanooga). "I think Zion is a slam-dunk Pro Bowl player. He reminds me of Rodney Hudson. They'd have to take him at [pick No.] 21 -- a Damien Woody-type [No. 17 in 1999] in that BC wheelhouse -- and that's not too rich. I think his best position is center, because you'd be wasting his brain playing him at guard -- he's highly, highly intelligent. Work ethic is off the charts. With Cole, I think he will be a second-round pick, maybe a third. Great-looking, trim, good athlete. We invited him to the Senior Bowl based on his Kentucky game alone; Kentucky has two guys on the defensive line that are going to be drafted and he just wore them out. He's physical. Really strong hands. A really tenacious player."

Nagy is the Senior Bowl director who was a Patriots scout 15 years ago, so he knows what they looking for.

He’s definitely a Patriot pick. The question is if they could have had him later and they could have taken another guy in this spot. Obviously many of us say yes, Belichick himself said he wasn’t going to last longer, the question is if he’s correct or if he had bad intel.

And yet, four of them were taken in the first round, three ahead of Strange.
2nd most common position in the first round? Great year to be a guard.

I can't argue against this man because I know literally nothing about him.

All I'm saying is I think we have bigger holes and bigger needs with other players I think help alot more available at the time.
Obviously what you think and what the team thinks are not congruent. With all due respect to you I think the team knows more about what’s needed. For one thing, there are some players under contract that the coaches have seen but we haven’t. So why not give a chance to see how it works out before calling for the lynching? Not just talking to you, the over the top reactions across this board are truly disturbing.

Obviously what you think and what the team thinks are not congruent. With all due respect to you I think the team knows more about what’s needed. For one thing, there are some players under contract that the coaches have seen but we haven’t. So why not give a chance to see how it works out before calling for the lynching? Not just talking to you, the over the top reactions across this board are truly disturbing.

Your appeal to authority is ridiculous, particularly given the Patriots drafting in recent years.

I think obviously Bill knows what he's doing way more than me.

That doesn't mean his approach is correct simple because he's Bill.

This place would be especially boring if all were doing is appulding everything the pats do and question nothing and take the optimism route.

I expected that with glaring holes at WR and DB and LB that one of those would be a day 1 must.

Obviously bill thinks a 24 year old interior lineman is the best they could of done at the alot when others believe he could of been there on their next pick.

I'm arguing against interior lineman being a pressing need that needs addressing in the first round.

Which I can say without debate as that's how I view it.

What I can't say and nor can anyone else is wether or not this player is the best player at his position in this draft. I have no idea.

If the Patriots see offensive line as the biggest issue needing addressing or if they felt that this was the 29th best player in the entire draft than yea, I have a issue with that because I don't believe that to be true at all and it's concerning that they do.
Interesting.
So first you feel Ferentz is ok as a starter?

But more interesting is that you believe you have a better evaluation on Strange that the Patriots organization. Wasn’t it you that said earlier that you never heard of him?
So how did you arrive at this evaluation?
What exactly are you using to determine that your evaluation is better than that of the patriot organization where every snap he played was probably reviewed on film many times, where many different professionals evaluated that film, interviewed him, worked him out, watched him practice and play, and make their living evaluation, comparing and slotting all the players.
I’m anxious to hear what method you used to believe you have a better evaluation.

I'm arguing against interior lineman being a pressing need that needs addressing in the first round.

Which I can say without debate as that's how I view it.

What I can't say and nor can anyone else is wether or not this player is the best player at his position in this draft. I have no idea.

If the Patriots see offensive line as the biggest issue needing addressing or if they felt that this was the 29th best player in the entire draft than yea, I have a issue with that because I don't believe that to be true at all and it's concerning that they do.
Interesting.

But more interesting is that you believe you have a better evaluation on Strange that the Patriots organization. Wasn’t it you that said earlier that you never heard of him?
What exactly are you using to determine that your evaluation is better than that of the patriot organization where every snap he played was probably reviewed on film many times, where many different professionals evaluated that film, interviewed him, worked him out, watched him practice and play, and make their living evaluation, comparing and slotting all the players.
I’m anxious to hear what method you used to believe you have a better evaluation.

Interesting.

I'm not evaluating the player, I'm questioning the priority of the position need.

Last edited:
After watching the post draft presser, a part of me thinks BB wants Kraft to fire him.

You're having a hard time following what I'm saying.

So let me be clear and let's move on.

Interior offensive lineman as your number 1 priority is a joke.

You obviously disagree and that's cool. It's not that big a deal. Not until November anyway.
Games are won in the trenches.

And your argument wasn’t just don’t draft an IOL it was that you know this one was the wrong one. At least you’ve grown to accept you have no clue about that.

Games are won in the trenches.

And your argument wasn’t just don’t draft an IOL it was that you know this one was the wrong one. At least you’ve grown to accept you have no clue about that.

I edited my post. It felt like I was being a jerk when that wasnt my intention.

This place would be especially boring if all were doing is appulding everything the pats do and question nothing and take the optimism route.

I expected that with glaring holes at WR and DB and LB that one of those would be a day 1 must.

Obviously bill thinks a 24 year old interior lineman is the best they could of done at the alot when others believe he could of been there on their next pick.
Agreed. Not being boring is okay, and I’m certainly in favor of questioning decisions and looking at alternatives, but the level of hostility and animosity and vehemence that has come out in reactions to this pick is scary. It makes me worry about the stability of some posters here, and whether we need to be concerned about an active shooter invading Patriot Place in response to an unpopular draft pick.

not talking specifically about you, just saying that the overreaction to this pick makes it hard to have a serious conversation and maintain perspective, and that bleeds over to affect responses to posters that aren’t so over the top…

I edited my post. It felt like I was being a jerk when that wasnt my intention.
You said

You said

Agreed.

I have an issue with bill and the Patriots addressing interior guards as the first priority over much more pressing needs like WR/LB/DB

Agreed.

I have an issue with bill and the Patriots addressing interior guards as the first priority over much more pressing needs like WR/LB/DB
The fact that you have WR as a 'more pressing need' than a Guard is hilarious and very telling.

See this is why this place goes off the rails.

No one is saying you have to applaud everything.

But when you give an opinion, it is normal for people to question the basis of that opinion.

No one is saying he is correct simply because he is Belichick, but everyone should be saying he is 1000 times more likely to be correct because he’s belichick than if he were Festy1986.

He clearly disagrees with you. So I would ask why.

I would assume the answer is that LG was the glaring hole going into the draft.
WR was already addressed with Parker.
DB was addressed with Butler and Peppers. (sure we still need corners but if I can get 1 sure starter im definitely replacing Ferentz rather than butler.)
LB has been addressed with McMillan, mcgrone, Jennings all returning from injury and Wilson added. At a position we play 1 or 2 guys a snap.

My issue is not questioning whether something else would have worked better, it’s declaring a bad decision before a snap has been played, when you have almost zero knowledge about the guy.

Say what you think. Say you don’t understand why this guy helps us more than Hill or whoever, then actually listen to other side. The hyperbole destroys this board and it’s demeaning to listen to people who honestly have no clue act as if they are geniuses who know more than the literal expert.

Hey I don’t know enough about these players to make a judgment on them. But i try to understand the thought process that went into it. Because I guarantee there was a strong, solid educated thought process (which could prove to be right or wrong) and this board gets polluted by people who pretend they know things they don’t, make up bs and claim things they gave no way of forming an informed opinion on.

Then they threw in “24 year old” as if it’s meaningful and cant really explain why it is.
Ok end of rant, I’ve explained why this **** is so frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes