PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread: Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really worried about Strange being good because honestly Bill's track record with offensive lineman has been pretty damn good for 20 years. I just view guard like I view RB. Why take a guy in the first with an A grade when you can take a guy in the 4th with a B grade? I also don't like that we let Karras walk and sign for $5 mill to take an unproven guy to replace him at around $2.5 mill. I know $2.5 million is nothing to sneeze at but it isn't a major savings like taking a (in theory) number 1 corner in round 1 after losing JC Jackson to a big money deal.
I like that you mentioned Strange as the Karras replacement, too many people are referencing Shaq Mason with the Strange pick. Imo the team thought Owenu's long term position was right guard so they moved on from Shaq Mason for a cheaper alternative. The team didn't trade Mason for a 4th then draft his replacement with a first.

You just knew BB would trade back this year. And ultimately it's about what pieces you end up with. While I was super disappointed to miss out on Elam, J. Johnson and Lloyd after moving back, we can't loose sight that BB got J.C. as a UDFA, and Flowers in the 4th round. I expected a OG or OT high in the draft, and if we end up with a starting CB and productive EDGE guy from the middle rounds, does it matter which order they come? However, historically, when BB picks scratch-your-head guys WAY above projected rounds, it doesn't bode well. Dugger is still in the "we'll see" category. Since we don't control the draft picks, I'll be happy we found a much needed piece on the OL, and hope for some more on Day 2.

Fortunately I only had 1 beer last night

I'm over this travesty in the 1st round.. lots of great prospects still on the board, looking forward to adding some speed to this defense

I am not really worried about Strange being good because honestly Bill's track record with offensive lineman has been pretty damn good for 20 years. I just view guard like I view RB. Why take a guy in the first with an A grade when you can take a guy in the 4th with a B grade? I also don't like that we let Karras walk and sign for $5 mill to take an unproven guy to replace him at around $2.5 mill. I know $2.5 million is nothing to sneeze at but it isn't a major savings like taking a (in theory) number 1 corner in round 1 after losing JC Jackson to a big money deal.

Strange isn't replacing Karras. He's replacing Shaq Mason at 1/3 the cost. That's pretty significant. Shaq's cap hit is ~$7.2m, and Karras' is $5m, so that's >$12m tied up in the starting and backup G position. Strange's cap hit will be about $2m, and a competent backup at $2m means they can fill those two spots for 1/3 of the cost. That's important.

Strange isn't replacing Karras. He's replacing Shaq Mason at 1/3 the cost. That's pretty significant. Shaq's cap hit is ~$7.2m, and Karras' is $5m, so that's >$12m tied up in the starting and backup G position. Strange's cap hit will be about $2m, and a competent backup at $2m means they can fill those two spots for 1/3 of the cost. That's important.

Strange's 2022 cap hit is going to be almost 3 mil once you count his signing bonus (for a Div 3 guy). These picks are slotted to make a certain amount, in this case around $13 million for the 4 years. So let's add Strange's 3 million to the 3.1 mil in Dead money from the Mason trade, and the Pats traded a Pro Bowl guard, wasted a first round pick on an inferior replacement, and in all will only save @ 1 million in cap space, waste a first round pick, and get worse at a position, yeah that's important.

BB should be removed before the start of the second round tonight!!!!

Strange's cap hit is going to be almost 3 mil once you count his signing bonus (for a Div 3 guy) add that to the 3.1 mil in Dead money from the Mason trade, and the Pats traded a Pro Bowl guard, wasted a first round pick on an inferior replacement, and in all will only save @ 1 million in cap space, waste a first round pick, and get worse at a position, yeah that's important.

According to spotrac (2022 NFL Draft Tracker ), his cap hit for 2022 will be $2.2m.

BB should be removed before the start of the second round tonight!!!!

LOL.

Its just sad to see the waste of first round draft capital. Trade up in the second if you are paranoid about Strange going higher than anticipated.

I really wonder if Pats would have taken Penning at #21 if the Saints hadn't snagged him at #19? There's no way BB is feeling good about his OT's - Wynn in a contract year and Brown who is old and injury prone. I hope we get Raimann today - he has Patriot all over him... European, ex-TE, late bloomer...

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I think it is convenient to label Strange as the replacement to Mason instead of Karras so you can make the argument about saving more money. Onwenu was going to be the replacement for Mason and that was why they felt comfortable moving him to Tampa. Karras was where Bill allegedly bungled the situation and offered 3 years for $15 mill only to retract that and offer 3 years $13 mill. Looks like Bill underestimated the market for Karras who signed in Cincy for $18 mill and Bill decided to fix his mistake by reaching on a guard in round 1.

I bet my right egg Bill tried to trade even further down from 29 into the second round to get Strange there. In his eyes there was no first round graded player left (yes, this includes McDuffy, Lloyd or Booth), so its the right move to trade down and accumulate picks. But it takes two to tango. If you don't find a taker, pick your guy.

And I bet my left egg somebody already wrote that in this thread, but I am too lazy to read through all those 72 pages...

I really wonder if Pats would have taken Penning at #21 if the Saints hadn't snagged him at #19? There's no way BB is feeling good about his OT's - Wynn in a contract year and Brown who is old and injury prone. I hope we get Raimann today - he has Patriot all over him... European, ex-TE, late bloomer...

there are some rumors that Raimann had failed several medical tests by some teams, even with an "F", whatever that means, it might be that he slides in round 3 or 4 prior to someone taking the chance/risk

not sure what it is about but "F" means, in my view, some concerning (career threatening) issues

I think it is convenient to label Strange as the replacement to Mason instead of Karras so you can make the argument about saving more money. Onwenu was going to be the replacement for Mason and that was why they felt comfortable moving him to Tampa. Karras was where Bill allegedly bungled the situation and offered 3 years for $15 mill only to retract that and offer 3 years $13 mill. Looks like Bill underestimated the market for Karras who signed in Cincy for $18 mill and Bill decided to fix his mistake by reaching on a guard in round 1.

The reason I say Strange replaces Mason is because I bet you dollars to donuts that Strange steps in and starts Day 1. Since Mason was the starter, that means Strange would be replacing Mason.

It is always hilarious to me to see Pats fans get violently upset about a drafted player they know literally nothing (zero, zilch) about, based upon projections by draft “experts” who, in this case in particular, know little to nothing about the player. Do you think Mel Kipers third round grade on Strange is based upon anything but getting in line with the rest of the draft “expert” herd?

Do you also believe that one can make an accurate assessment about a player based only upon a few Senior bowl practices and the Senior bowl game? This is not like a draft “expert” making an assessment on a player from the SEC, because there is so little film to use for evaluation of a small school guy like Strange. In contrast, the Patriots’ area and regional scouts have probably been watching Strange closely for the past 2+ years, along with talking to his coaches and the opposing coaches. They simply use the Senior bowl week (interview, practices, games) to cement their assessments.

It’s not the player, but another missed opportunity. Patriots need to seek a professional help to get over the paranoia that other teams are lining up to take the likes of Jordan Richards, Tavon Wilson and Cole Strange.
Massive difference between Strange and the other two: neither had the measurables. Richards was smart, but tooooo slow.

Strange has all the physical tools. All of them.

Massive difference between Strange and the other two: neither had the measurables. Richards was smart, but tooooo slow.

Strange has all the physical tools. All of them.

Yep. Strange is an elite athlete, especially for his position. Plus he's an animal. Plus apparently he's very smart. The more I look into this player, the more I like him. A lot.

I would just rather have taken him later, but maybe he wouldn't have been available later.

I bet my right egg Bill tried to trade even further down from 29 into the second round to get Strange there. In his eyes there was no first round graded player left (yes, this includes McDuffy, Lloyd or Booth), so its the right move to trade down and accumulate picks. But it takes two to tango. If you don't find a taker, pick your guy.

And I bet my left egg somebody already wrote that in this thread, but I am too lazy to read through all those 72 pages...
I said something not quite similar but the speculation is the same. Let's imagine that a trade down from 29 would take us to 39 where we could still pick Strange. Between 21 and 39, almost 20 players will be picked. And if this really means that Belichick thinks none of those players don't carry that kind of value? Well, we're talking about a really poor draft. So don't expect much of anything going forward today and tomorrow.

That's a lot of players to dismiss between 21 and 39.

And argument could be made that you take a player like Dax Hill or Karlaftis at 29 and then use the 4th rounder to trade up in the 2nd round to select Strange.

It is always hilarious to me to see Pats fans get violently upset about a drafted player they know literally nothing (zero, zilch) about, based upon projections by draft “experts” who, in this case in particular, know little to nothing about the player. Do you think Mel Kipers third round grade on Strange is based upon anything but getting in line with the rest of the draft “expert” herd?

Do you also believe that one can make an accurate assessment about a player based only upon a few Senior bowl practices and the Senior bowl game? This is not like a draft “expert” making an assessment on a player from the SEC, because there is so little film to use for evaluation of a small school guy like Strange. In contrast, the Patriots’ area and regional scouts have probably been watching Strange closely for the past 2+ years, along with talking to his coaches and the opposing coaches. They simply use the Senior bowl week (interview, practices, games) to cement their assessments.
It’s, not just draft experts. The head coach and GM for the current SB Champs laughed out loud at this pick.

Yep. Strange is an elite athlete, especially for his position. Plus he's an animal. Plus apparently he's very smart. The more I look into this player, the more I like him. A lot.

I would just rather have taken him later, but maybe he wouldn't have been available later.
He’s a guard. Maybe he’s a good one. Maybe not. But you can find good guards in every draft in rounds 2-4. A guard has to be real special to be worthy of a 1st round selection in any draft. This one face mediocre talent for 5 years. Yes he’s athletic, but that’s a good fit for a zone running team (do the Pats use a zone run scheme? I don’t know myself). By most accounts, he needs to get stronger to go up against the bigger DTs in the NFL. Doesn’t sound like a year one quality starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft