PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2021 NFL DRAFT - ROUND 1 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mahomes is a unicorn, someone who could be an excellent pure pocket passer but also can run as well as any QB ever which makes him really dangerous. Hmm, TB12 just took him down in the last Super Bowl, and took him down on his way to winning it all in 2018 as well. +2 for the pocket passer who can't run.

I worry about running QBs as they age. I know the NFL does everything they can to protect them, but strange things happen when you are on the move. Cowboys stank last year because Dak Prescott injured his leg on a running play. Now we'll see how willing and able he will be to run this season. If he can't run any more, can he adapt to being a pure pocket passer?

I think the league is going more run heavy because a lot of the college programs just find it easier to implement a running offense. Passing requires a lot of coordination, timing and intelligence, all of which takes a lot of coaching talent and time. Since we have so many QBs leaving school early, they can't invest as much in each of them.

In short, I'm not worried because the rest of the league is getting QBs that can run.
This NFL trying to change to the running QB is not going anywhere, the pocket guys still win every year. Jackson is the best running QB in the NFL and he cannot get out of the first round of the playoffs. When pocket QB's stop winning superbowls let me know.

His argument was , for MONTHS, that we had to give up three #1 picks, a couple of #2's and players or the draft was a total catastrophe...he spent all that time hitting anybody that opined different possibilities with "disagrees"...every single day, day after day. He was WRONG. Don't play that "it was close!!! Almost real bad!!!" crap. What occurred is ALL the is important. I can what if this and what if that into us getting ten first rounders but it's completely meaningless. There is ONLY what happened. In this case, as in the case of the Orchids of Asia fiasco...he was 100% W-R-O-N-G yet he will NEVER admit it
I get entertainment from reading Andy's posts. He was put on this earth to constantly argue. I'd wager that he started arguments with every doctor in the delivery room when he came out of the womb.

Last edited:
lol Meltdown at taking Horn and not Fields by Carolina fans

And there is one in every group.. told you so.. told you so give me my credit

42:12 the best bit lol

One thing we don't know is this: how much did those other teams want to move down? It's quite possible the quoted prices were high enough for Belichick that he assumed that they wouldn't be willing to trade down further/other teams wouldn't trade up.
Agreed. Didn't the JETE use 2 first round picks for a guard? We're there a lot of teams looking to do that? Granted it was a QB, so it is tough to guess what people will irrationally give up.

The biggest loser in last night's draft may be Jimmy Garoppolo. And when I say biggest loser, he is going to be forced to make $25 million this year to train and be a placeholder for his replacement. But if he was looking for a long term home, last night sucked for him. His first two choices of a new home drafted their QBs of the future - Chicago and New England.

lol Meltdown at taking Horn and not Fields by Carolina fans

And there is one in every group.. told you so.. told you so give me my credit

42:12 the best bit lol

Just checked out the Panthers forum.

They don't seem happy.

It was very close. If one of the teams that was trying to move up succeeded in trading with MINN, then we wouldn't have a QB. You don't seem to care. All you care about is winning an argument with Andy. Do you buy insurance. That's what it would have been to trade up after Fields was picked.

Andy's argument was that we need to do whatever it took to get a QB in the first round. Things went well. SF set the stage by drafted Lance. As long as there were 2 QB's out there, THERE WAS NO NEED to give up a huge amount of assets. However, for me, one Fields was picked, the gamble was on.

"Things went well" = You and Andy's predictions were wrong. Horribly wrong.

You guys were willing to sell the farm to move up and get the fourth least wanted QB in the draft.

And when BB didn't do that your buddy sadly proclaimed...

"The Pats just blew their future"

Thank God BB didn't do what you and Andy wanted him to do. You guys wanted him to trade a ridiculous amount of draft capital to move up PRIOR to the draft. That would have been a disaster.

I was right.

You and your buddy were wrong. Horribly wrong.

I won by a freaking mile. It wasn't even close.

The biggest loser in last night's draft may be Jimmy Garoppolo. And when I say biggest loser, he is going to be forced to make $25 million this year to train and be a placeholder for his replacement. But if he was looking for a long term home, last night sucked for him. His first two choices of a new home drafted their QBs of the future - Chicago and New England.

The biggest loser last night was @Ring 6 and his insistence to sell the farm PRIOR to the draft to move up and get one of the top four QBs.

I was very happy with the Jones pick. Given Belichick's friendship with Saban, I cannot believe that BB would have made this choice without the full endorsement of the best college coach in the nation and someone who has sent more players to the NFL in the past decade than any other coach. Saban knows what it takes for a college player to excel in the big leagues and he likely told Bill that Jones has the right stuff. My only concern is that Jones won't have elite wide receivers to target like he had at Alabama.
But of course we wonder if Saban gave Belichick that same assessment about Cyrus Jones.

This NFL trying to change to the running QB is not going anywhere, the pocket guys still win every year. Jackson is the best running QB in the NFL and he cannot get out of the first round of the playoffs. When pocket QB's stop winning superbowls let me know.
The weird thing about this discussion is that, one, Pat Mahomes won a Super Bowl, and two, the controversy here is over Justin Fields, who is a pocket QB, who can also run when need be.

I just want to say that @Tony2046 is my new hero.

When I inflict damage on someone, I love sticking my finger in the wound and making the pain worse. Tony has done that, then squatted over him and taken a giant shat on him. And then keeps p!ssing on him for good measure.

I admire this level of vindictiveness and salute you.

We got our QB and still have next year's first round pick, don't we?

he will make a damned fine backup someday

I was very happy with the Jones pick. Given Belichick's friendship with Saban, I cannot believe that BB would have made this choice without the full endorsement of the best college coach in the nation and someone who has sent more players to the NFL in the past decade than any other coach. Saban knows what it takes for a college player to excel in the big leagues and he likely told Bill that Jones has the right stuff. My only concern is that Jones won't have elite wide receivers to target like he had at Alabama.

Fortunately this offense is very rookie friendly with how its built right now. A good offensive line, 2 elite tight ends, a good cast of running backs (could improve further in day 2/3 of draft), and we have at least 1 burner but yea they definitely need to get some more help on the outside

This draft class is so deep at WR, it would be a travesty if they didn't select at least one.. but i also expect them to continue to use free agency and possibly a trade after the draft to get another veteran

Wow, Bill the GM got Mac Jones at 15. Must be a terrible move. Hope BB the Coach can somehow put lipstick on this pig :D

That was EXACTLY what I thought he'd do unless he did something else.

It was very close. If one of the teams that was trying to move up succeeded in trading with MINN, then we wouldn't have a QB. You don't seem to care. All you care about is winning an argument with Andy. Do you buy insurance. That's what it would have been to trade up after Fields was picked.

Andy's argument was that we need to do whatever it took to get a QB in the first round. Things went well. SF set the stage by drafted Lance. As long as there were 2 QB's out there, THERE WAS NO NEED to give up a huge amount of assets. However, for me, one Fields was picked, the gamble was on.

no, the argument was trade up now (now being march, see link below) or wait. So even in your scenario trading up 4 spots last night, he was wrong by alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back