PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2021 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussion Thread

Re Running backs ......will Burkhead return then if his rehab keeps going well.

Official Pats site dont hang around Stevenson is already listed !!

First head scratcher for me. Would have liked to see T. Wallace, C. Johnson, or R. Rochelle, but this one could pay dividends in the future if we don’t keep Sony Michele.
Maybe, but when you think about these picks being drafted for the following season (like Harris was at rb) it makes a little more sense. Both white and Sony are on 1 year deals.

I am sure that group will scare a lot of teams. We might have the worse set of wideouts in the afc east.

After free agency I think we have 5 legit pass catchers now? Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Smith, Henry. That's 5 not counting 5 OLinemen, a QB, and RB so 12 quality players for 11 spots. Not sure if WR is a need anymore. Meyers is a 1200 yard receiver if he started all year. Bourne is a route technician. Agholor has speed. Smith and Henry for the 2TE and middle of the field and play action. Seems like our biggest need is OLine ? Wynn is unreliable and Karras may not the long term guy either

I am sure that group will scare a lot of teams. We might have the worse set of wideouts in the afc east.
At some point, it will click that the Patriots just don't value the high-end WRs as much as other teams do. They go after guys like Diggs, but their price is their price and they get outbid.

I like the pick. The Blount comparison is a nice one. If he can protect and catch he'll be a nice piece... Envisioning a 2-TE pony package with Harris and Stevenson flanking Mac, and Meyers motioning, who we know can also pass...
On some sites they say he is a good receiver, others that he didn't have many receptions, any more information from anyone on his receiving skills? He is being compared to Blount, but the main limitation with Blount was that whenever he entered the game the defense knew it was likely a running play. If Stevenson is a good pass blocker, at least moderately decent at receiving the ball, and a good runner that would be a real weapon to have that could keep the defense guessing on whether it was a run or pass play.

Saints take Ian Book, a Brees clone, but waaay early for Book

Hey, I wasn't against upgrading the group in the first 3 rounds but that time has gone - I would have loved to have got a Waddle, Bateman, Moore early on. As much as Harry has underwhelmed, they aren't just going to cut him. I actually think he might surprise a little this year with the pressure off as a WR3/4.

The point is though that they paid Agholor and Bourne as starters and they spent a huge amount on Smith and Henry. A 5th round pick isn't getting close to the field and they'd have to have some special teams value to make the 53 at this point.

Nice to have a big boy power back on the goal line

Yes, and White is leaving too, probably.

I think Stevenson might get some reps this year, but he's likely inactive a lot.
I’m wondering if they want to use him as a fb and expand the fb position. We’ve started to use 2 rbs together at times. I assume Stevenson would be a huge upgrade to Johnson while expanding what we can do.

Watch the Cotton Bowl vs Florida. Stevenson had 18 carries for 186 yards and a TD. Though he did rip off a 50 yarder, take that away, and he still had 136 yards on 17 carries, still averaged 8 yards a carry if you took away the 50 yarder !

On ESPN, when talking about the Pats taking Stevenson, they raved about the pick. One of the guys said, he’s not just a power back, he can take it to the house, and mentioned he had patience like Leveon Bell.

After free agency I think we have 5 legit pass catchers now? Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Smith, Henry. That's 5 not counting 5 OLinemen, a QB, and RB so 12 quality players for 11 spots. Not sure if WR is a need anymore. Meyers is a 1200 yard receiver if he started all year. Bourne is a route technician. Agholor has speed. Smith and Henry for the 2TE and middle of the field and play action. Seems like our biggest need is OLine ? Wynn is unreliable and Karras may not the long term guy either

None of those guys are a number 1. Bourne and meyers are the same layers. Possession wideouts. This team has no type of speed on the outside if you wanna agholor but i see more of an inside guy with speed. Meyers is not a 1000 yard receiver. He struggles against good competition. He’s a 3rd wideout at best.

Hey, I wasn't against upgrading the group in the first 3 rounds but that time has gone - I would have loved to have got a Waddle, Bateman, Moore early on. As much as Harry has underwhelmed, they aren't just going to cut him. I actually think he might surprise a little this year with the pressure off as a WR3/4.

The point is though that they paid Agholor and Bourne as starters and they spent a huge amount on Smith and Henry. A 5th round pick isn't getting close to the field and they'd have to have some special teams value to make the 53 at this point.

I just don’t see it with harry. Hope i am wrong. They could have gotten a guy like wallace instead went with a running back.

None of those guys are a number 1. Bourne and meyers are the same layers. Possession wideouts. This team has no type of speed on the outside if you wanna agholor but i see more of an inside guy with speed. Meyers is not a 1000 yard receiver. He struggles against good competition. He’s a 3rd wideout at best.
Between 3rd and 4th but yeah if the Pats are counting on him to get 1200 yards they're in trouble

We've picked up some good lineman on day 3 in recent years. I'd be on the look out for OT conversions to guard, or players with OT/G flexibility like Brendan Jaimes. I also wonder whether Deontae Brown could be an Onwenu style pick. Both have huge talent, and if you can get them to drop 15 pounds their athleticism can catch up with their power.

The O is built from the inside in. As much as we all want studs at every position, it isn’t really necessary. The WR’s, on paper at least, complement the power running game and TE threats very well. This O is built to cause a ton of mismatch numbers. It might take a bit into the season before we fully see the vision become reality, but I look forward to watching opposing D’s sleep on Ag, Bourne and Myers.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back