PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2021 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussion Thread

I just don’t see it with harry. Hope i am wrong. They could have gotten a guy like wallace instead went with a running back.
Since we're talking about WR 4, cutting Harry would cost the Pats 700k in cap space. I don't see them doing that. Maybe a trade - like for Isabella, but to add a Day 3 replacement? Doubt it.

Florida state was loaded with pass rushers. Robinson off the board now.

Between 3rd and 4th but yeah if the Pats are counting on him to get 1200 yards they're in trouble
Well football statistics are not realistically exptrapolated from situation to situation but he had 729 yards in 11 games, with a brutally incompetent passer, so calling him capable of 1000 to 1200 yards is very defensible.

Hey, I wasn't against upgrading the group in the first 3 rounds but that time has gone - I would have loved to have got a Waddle, Bateman, Moore early on. As much as Harry has underwhelmed, they aren't just going to cut him. I actually think he might surprise a little this year with the pressure off as a WR3/4.

The point is though that they paid Agholor and Bourne as starters and they spent a huge amount on Smith and Henry. A 5th round pick isn't getting close to the field and they'd have to have some special teams value to make the 53 at this point.
Yeah, passing downs we're going to see both Smith and Henry on the field with Agholor, Bourne and probably either Meyers or dare I say Harry...anyway, there's not a lot of room for a rookie unless they beat out Agholor or Bourne. It's still a position I think we could add some depth. Maybe Gunner plays a bigger role this year, he sure was great returning punts.

Knowing our history with rookie RB’s (minus Michel) I would guess we don’t see much of Stevenson this year.

Which is okay. A lot of depth back there.
Short yardage if he can hold on to the ball.

And there went Jacob Harris to the Lambs . . . . *sigh* :(

The one handed catch and run in the video above looked pretty good.

Yeah, passing downs we're going to see both Smith and Henry on the field with Agholor, Bourne and probably either Meyers or dare I say Harry...anyway, there's not a lot of room for a rookie unless they beat out Agholor or Bourne. It's still a position I think we could add some depth. Maybe Gunner plays a bigger role this year, he sure was great returning punts.
White will be in the field in passing downs. I doubt we will have 2 TEs on the field in passing downs, at least when it’s a sure passing down (3rd and >5).

White will be in the field in passing downs. I doubt we will have 2 TEs on the field in passing downs, at least when it’s a sure passing down (3rd and >5).
On 3rd and 5, give me Hunter or Smith on the field over White all day long

Since we're talking about WR 4, cutting Harry would cost the Pats 700k in cap space. I don't see them doing that. Maybe a trade - like for Isabella, but to add a Day 3 replacement? Doubt it.
700k really isn't enough dead cap to hold back any move. That said, there's all of camp and preseason for Harry to compete with the late round pick. Harry could just win that competition flat out. If he doesn't, it either means he's so bad that it's worth 700k to cut him, or the rookie has exceeded his draft position to the point that it's worth 700k to cut Harry.

Would rather fool some team into thinking they can fix Harry and trade him asap for something now rather than nothing in a year.

700k really isn't enough dead cap to hold back any move. That said, there's all of camp and preseason for Harry to compete with the late round pick. Harry could just win that competition flat out. If he doesn't, it either means he's so bad that it's worth 700k to cut him, or the rookie has exceeded his draft position to the point that it's worth 700k to cut Harry.
It's more than that, though, because the pick wouldn't even count against the 51, but Harry would.

There's no one on the board at this point with more physical talent than Harry. He hasn't worked out at all, I admit, but I don't think he's dead yet.

Would rather fool some team into thinking they can fix Harry and trade him asap for something now rather than nothing in a year.
Almost seems too obvious: Cards drafted Rondale Moore. Isabella's been kind of a bust there, like Harry here, and both could use a change of scenery.

Having said that, the Patriots are a running team, and for all his other problems, Harry is a strong blocker.

Any idea when the 5th round pick will happen?

On 3rd and 5, give me Hunter or Smith on the field over White all day long
White has been the best 3rd down receiver we have had for a long time.

It's more than that, though, because the pick wouldn't even count against the 51, but Harry would.

There's no one on the board at this point with more physical talent than Harry. He hasn't worked out at all, I admit, but I don't think he's dead yet.
Unless you think we're going to make another big acquisition (or extension that involves a 2021 pay raise) before the regular season, I don't really see how the 51 rule makes a big enough difference to the bottom line. We're talking about deliberately handing a roster spot to a guy who has sucked after 2 years just to save a couple million on the cap at most.

I really don't see how the downsides of bringing competition in for Harry's roster spot outweigh the upside of having a WR in that roster spot who can actually contribute. Maybe Harry is himself that WR, but that's what camp is for.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back