PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2021 Cutdown Day Thread

I wanted WR Simi Fehoko (who made the Cowboys 53, BTW) at 177; G/T Trey Smith at 188; a CB such as Tay Gowan, Thomas Graham, Kary Vincent or Rodarius Williams (ALL of whom made their 53s) at 197 and Ben Mason at 242... We should've had #186 available to us also...
Simi was a target for a lot of us.

Practice squad looks great. Smart moves as usual to use the new PS/IR rules to keep and sign the young guys they want. Love the Ben mason signing, sounds like he wanted to come here. I always wished we could've gotten Ricard on the Pats as he's a local guy too.. and an absolute baller.

I wanted WR Simi Fehoko (who made the Cowboys 53, BTW) at 177; G/T Trey Smith at 188; a CB such as Tay Gowan, Thomas Graham, Kary Vincent or Rodarius Williams (ALL of whom made their 53s) at 197 and Ben Mason at 242... We should've had #186 available to us also...
Nobody cares whom you wanted.

Last edited:
I can think of several other teams with terrible WR groups.

NFC: Everyone in the East is > us, even Philthadelphia... Detroit is worse, no doubt... Minnesota is thin but they have Thielen & Justin Jefferson... Atlanta is thin but they have Calvin Ridley... NO is worse until Michael Thomas returns from PUP... Seattle is thin but they have Lockett & Metcalf.

AFC: Miami will be better when Will Fuller returns from suspension... Even the Jete are deeper... Same with da Bungles... Houston too... Jacksonville's depth sucks, but DJ Chark, Marvin Jones & Laviska Shenault are still > our top 3... And everyone in the West has better WRs than we do.

This is Easily a bottom-quartile WR room, if not bottom-eighth.

Agholor will Never draw over-the-top coverage because he drops too many passes to earn respect

This is kind of a silly hypothesis. As though teams will say, "Just let Nelson run free back there, he'll probably drop it anyway".

NFC: Everyone in the East is > us, even Philthadelphia... Detroit is worse, no doubt... Minnesota is thin but they have Thielen & Justin Jefferson... Atlanta is thin but they have Calvin Ridley... NO is worse until Michael Thomas returns from PUP... Seattle is thin but they have Lockett & Metcalf.

AFC: Miami will be better when Will Fuller returns from suspension... Even the Jete are deeper... Same with da Bungles... Houston too... Jacksonville's depth sucks, but DJ Chark, Marvin Jones & Laviska Shenault are still > our top 3... And everyone in the West has better WRs than we do.

It's a bad group. It's better than last year's group. It's probably among the bottom handful of WR groups. I've thought of a couple of groups that I'd probably like less.

Detroit was the first to come to mind.

1630543600495.png

You are, of course, welcome to disagree. And, just to be completely clear, I'm not defending this group. I'm just not ranking it at the very bottom of the league.

Last edited:

So lets look at last season. Are you going to still complain if they provide the same numbers this year ? I'd be happy with these numbers...

Agholor
1630543809071.png

Bourne
1630543549452.png

Meyers
1630543643793.png

Throw in the TE's and RB's...not shabby options.

Attachments

• 1630543433645.png
    1630543433645.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Just to echo the sentiments of others, Mason is a tough dude. I think he has a ton of upside. He could ultimately be a better player than Develin. I know that's a high bar, but he's a much bigger threat with ball in his hands and has the potential to be an even better blocker.

That was last season... This season the worst top 3 might very well be Agholor, Bourne & Meyers, with ZERO quality backups, including the ****ing Useless Mal Perry...Z-E-R-O... Worst WRs in football, again... Disappointing that the mere suggestion is now considered a powerful troll post, when in fact these starters are closer - much closer - to the league's worst than they are to the best.

Yep; Agholor will Never draw over-the-top coverage because he drops too many passes to earn respect, and Bourne & Meyers play the same position anyway so it's like having only two WRs on the field, and neither Bourne nor Meyers will draw double-coverage on his side either.

From last season yes, though I would've been fine with a Byrd (>>> Mal Perry) re-signing for outside depth...Still bottom-quartile starters however.

Gonna be hard to do when the targets are all inside the numbers and there are 9 defenders in the box...Same with running the ball...

More ridiculous takes from the master of asinine comments. Everything you just spewed has made everyone on this message board dumber..

Last edited:
I wanted WR Simi Fehoko (who made the Cowboys 53, BTW) at 177

I can't blame you -- but IMO he would have made zero difference to this year's Patriots receiving corps. The problem with the Pats' WRs isn't the lack of a developmental guy fighting for playing time. (Fehoko reportedly had trouble getting separation with the Cowboys and was considered a potential cut who made the team largely due to his special teams play.) The problem is the lack of a #1 WR the defense has to account for on every play.

It's still crazy getting used to old veterans like Folk being eligible for the PS - but why not? It's a great move to have him.
Also pretty interesting about Gilbert. Although, he has a pretty good arm. Probably scout team and practice insurance until Stid is back.

I can't blame you -- but IMO he would have made zero difference to this year's Patriots receiving corps. The problem with the Pats' WRs isn't the lack of a developmental guy fighting for playing time. (Fehoko reportedly had trouble getting separation with the Cowboys and was considered a potential cut who made the team largely due to his special teams play.) The problem is the lack of a #1 WR the defense has to account for on every play.

See, this is a fallacy in my opinion. The Patriots offense isn't predicated around the "#1WR". It's predicated around creating mismatches to get different players open. And it doesn't matter if it's a TE, WR, or RB. For the first 5 years of the Brady Era, we didn't have a #1 WR that defenses had to account for. We still tore other teams up because Brady would hit the OPEN receiver. And it was a running joke that his favorite receiver was the OPEN receiver.

And let's be serious and look at the CHAMPIONSHIPS this team won and didn't win. How many Championships with MOSS, a bonafide #1 receiver? ZERO. How many Championships where the best receiver was Troy Brown or Julian Edelman? 6. Why is that? Because of the mismatches players like Brown and Edelman create. Even in 2014 when Gronk led the team in receiving yards during the regular season, Edelman was the guy getting the clutch stuff more often than not.

When your offense is predicated on creating mismatches, defenses are forced to account for everyone. Because its the player you don't account for that will burn you.

It's still crazy getting used to old veterans like Folk being eligible for the PS - but why not? It's a great move to have him.
Also pretty interesting about Gilbert. Although, he has a pretty good arm. Probably scout team and practice insurance until Stid is back.

What's interesting is that this is Gilbert's 2nd tenure with the team. He was on the team from December 17th, 2014 - June 15th, 2015. He received a ring for SB 49 against the Seahawks as he was on the PS then.

See, this is a fallacy in my opinion. The Patriots offense isn't predicated around the "#1WR". It's predicated around creating mismatches to get different players open. And it doesn't matter if it's a TE, WR, or RB. For the first 5 years of the Brady Era, we didn't have a #1 WR that defenses had to account for. We still tore other teams up because Brady would hit the OPEN receiver. And it was a running joke that his favorite receiver was the OPEN receiver.

And let's be serious and look at the CHAMPIONSHIPS this team won and didn't win. How many Championships with MOSS, a bonafide #1 receiver? ZERO. How many Championships where the best receiver was Troy Brown or Julian Edelman? 6. Why is that? Because of the mismatches players like Brown and Edelman create. Even in 2014 when Gronk led the team in receiving yards during the regular season, Edelman was the guy getting the clutch stuff more often than not.

When your offense is predicated on creating mismatches, defenses are forced to account for everyone. Because its the player you don't account for that will burn you.

I actually agree with this completely. I made my point badly, which was more about the draft prospect.

That was last season... This season the worst top 3 might very well be Agholor, Bourne & Meyers, with ZERO quality backups, including the ****ing Useless Mal Perry...Z-E-R-O... Worst WRs in football, again... Disappointing that the mere suggestion is now considered a powerful troll post, when in fact these starters are closer - much closer - to the league's worst than they are to the best.

Yep; Agholor will Never draw over-the-top coverage because he drops too many passes to earn respect, and Bourne & Meyers play the same position anyway so it's like having only two WRs on the field, and neither Bourne nor Meyers will draw double-coverage on his side either.

From last season yes, though I would've been fine with a Byrd (>>> Mal Perry) re-signing for outside depth...Still bottom-quartile starters however.

Gonna be hard to do when the targets are all inside the numbers and there are 9 defenders in the box...Same with running the ball...

Wow, where to even start with this potpourri of dogsh*t takes….

It’s hilarious the way that you and the other resting b*tchfaces here intentionally ignore the fact that quarterbacks are allowed to throw the tight ends too. Mac will be throwing to a duo with 15+ touchdown potential between the two of them, including one of the most dynamic athletes at the position. It’s as if you have never watched the Pats play over the past 20 years, so you are oblivious to the fact that their passing offense has always been predicated on short and intermediate routes.

“Agholor will Never draw over-the-top coverage because he drops too many passes to earn respect.”
LOLOLOLOL. Did you actually type this sentence on purpose or did somebody slip that into your post, just a mess with you? This may be the most freezing of all of your freezing cold takes. “That guy has had issues with drops, boys, so just let him fly right past you.” He didn’t drop his first pass until week seven last year and that week he went 5/107/1 vs. Tampa. I’m sure that teams were saying the same thing about Edelman, given that he was among the league leaders in drops on several occasions. Agholor was a more effective and dynamic deep threat in 2020 than ANY WR on ANY of their SB winning teams.

Oh, no…how will they ever be able to run the ball if teams are stacking the box? Well, somehow they managed to figure it out in 2018, when they turned their season around after Bill and Josh abandoned the failing/flailing passing game and decided to commit to a power running scheme.

You really should post less and work on your mental health more, because your posts suck and you clearly have a personality disorder which is not adequately treated.

Wow, where to even start with this potpourri of dogsh*t takes….

It’s hilarious the way that you and the other resting b*tchfaces here intentionally ignore the fact that quarterbacks are allowed to throw the tight ends too. Mac will be throwing to a duo with 15+ touchdown potential between the two of them, including one of the most dynamic athletes at the position. It’s as if you have never watched the Pats play over the past 20 years, so you are oblivious to the fact that their passing offense has always been predicated on short and intermediate routes.

“Agholor will Never draw over-the-top coverage because he drops too many passes to earn respect.”
LOLOLOLOL. Did you actually type this sentence on purpose or did somebody slip that into your post, just a mess with you? This may be the most freezing of all of your freezing cold takes. “That guy has had issues with drops, boys, so just let him fly right past you.” He didn’t drop his first pass until week seven last year and that week he went 5/107/1 vs. Tampa. I’m sure that teams were saying the same thing about Edelman, given that he was among the league leaders in drops on several occasions. Agholor was a more effective and dynamic deep threat in 2020 than ANY WR on ANY of their SB winning teams.

Oh, no…how will they ever be able to run the ball if teams are stacking the box? Well, somehow they managed to figure it out in 2018, when they turned their season around after Bill and Josh abandoned the failing/flailing passing game and decided to commit to a power running scheme.

You really should post less and work on your mental health more, because your posts suck and you clearly have a personality disorder which is not adequately treated.
I've gotta say, this is over the top. Not sure why you think we all want to read your constant bashing of the capt. and other posters. Questioning the mental health of fellow posters on a football forum is, well, mental.

If you don't like the guys takes, put him on ignore or something, but for God's sakes, stop torturing the rest of us with these senseless, useless, meaningless attacks. The entire forum is dumber after reading this drivel.

Like @KontradictioN said, go get some ass or something (sorry if you suffer from ED).

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back