PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2018 Draft Day Thread Day Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can moan about the D all they want. But can someone explain which LB or DE they would have picked at 43 or 63 and who they would have displaced from the line up?
Anyone who answers this will be mocked for being an armchair GM.

The question sets up a built in "nuh uh" response, so why should anyone answer it? "The kid from B.C.!" "Nah, too ________, or BB would have gotten him", etc....

In the end, it just becomes the fallacy of the appeal to authority. There were players available. The team chose not to draft them. Some people disagree. This is normal. Historically, the people will be right on some, and the team will be right on some. We've seen a whole lot of this with regards to round two picks, as a matter of fact.

Yes, and, "the people" is not an apples to apples comparison to anything. Accumulate a few dozen random opinions from fans and you'll have a 100% hit rate with the draft every year. And, a 100% miss rate, but that's conveniently forgotten.

DEEP QB draft, deepest in years. Why not scout and come up with a plan for an heir apparent when there are so many GOOD ONES in a DEEP QB class, and then, actually use you high draft picks to get one of them. The next few years are not particularly deep QB wise. So say they use NEXT year’s 2nd round pick from Chicago to get Brady’s heir apparent, the QBs available in next year’s 2nd round, probably won’t be as good as the ones taken in rounds 3 and 4 in 2018.

No guarantees Brady plays 3 more years. He’s gonna be 41 in August for Christ’s sake.

See, I'd lay good money that this QB draft isn't that good at all. Yes, there are a lot of names, but the impression that there are a lot of very good QB prospects is a product of the NFL/ESPN/Fantasy Football Industry hype machine, more so than actual potential.

And it certainly gets fans riled up, as above.

Yes, and, "the people" is not an apples to apples comparison to anything. Accumulate a few dozen random opinions from fans and you'll have a 100% hit rate with the draft every year. And, a 100% miss rate, but that's conveniently forgotten.

It's not forgotten. It's foolishly tossed out by the homers, every freakin' year.

Reality: Some/Many people didn't like X pick, some/many people did
Fantasy: Every person says they didn't like X pick, and nobody admits that they liked X pick
Fantasy: The team got the pick right, so every person needs to shut up about every other pick, ever

I didn't want Easley. I was right not to want Easley. That doesn't guarantee that I'll be right about other players.

The Patriots wanted Mayo. The Patriots were right to want Mayo. That doesn't mean they were right to want Easley.

This all works both ways.

Anyone who answers this will be mocked for being an armchair GM.

Not if they do it with a measure of uncertainty and humility. You get mocked (appropriately) for declaring individual college players as sure-fire hits in the NFL, and expressing disdain at others for not seeing this Truth clearly.

Most draft picks by all teams don't become starting NFL players. And a high percentage of NFL players aren't ever drafted.

Keep fighting the good fight, @Deus Irae. No one gets everything right, and no one is above criticism. That's just how life goes. (I'm definitely a homer, but you're right on this one.)

DEEP QB draft, deepest in years. Why not scout and come up with a plan for an heir apparent when there are so many GOOD ONES in a DEEP QB class, and then, actually use you high draft picks to get one of them. The next few years are not particularly deep QB wise. So say they use NEXT year’s 2nd round pick from Chicago to get Brady’s heir apparent, the QBs available in next year’s 2nd round, probably won’t be as good as the ones taken in rounds 3 and 4 in 2018.

No guarantees Brady plays 3 more years. He’s gonna be 41 in August for Christ’s sake.
It doesn't work like that at all. Someone is this years 3rd round could absolutely be better than a 2019 2nd rounder. That logic makes no sense. Esp when you consider who our QB is. Last years class "wasn't" great but M.T. & Watson looked great all year for rookies & Pattycakes looked great in limited action.

2019 QB class looks just fine w/ plenty of talent.

What a joke of a draft plan. This draft, from the Patriots perspective reminds me of when I ask my wife to pick up beer at the supermarket and she comes back with ziplock bags and eggs.
No, its like when you ask you wife to pick up beer and she picks up scotch instead. Maybe not what you were looking for... But it'll do the job.
In fact, maybe your wife had the right idea after all.....

I think he views Defenses on ability to provide a solid performance to win Superbowls but maybe he doesn’t, maybe his aim is second place each year.

Every year? Like the year before last?

I realise it's a real struggle for fans to get to the SB on an annual basis.

It’ll be interesting if Curran is right about Johnny Football coming to town. Maybe they feel good about him.
*josh jackson

Insightful (and there we see the circle of life.)

yeah a full 360 wasted degrees. Now back to the facts. The Pats win the Super Bowl if Johnathan jones is on the field.

Not if they do it with a measure of uncertainty and humility. You get mocked (appropriately) for declaring individual college players as sure-fire hits in the NFL, and expressing disdain at others for not seeing this Truth clearly.

Most draft picks by all teams don't become starting NFL players. And a high percentage of NFL players aren't ever drafted.

I don't know, it's more fun to declare guys unmissable or whatever. It's not like anyone ever has to answer for it. We don't have control over anything at all on this board, after all.

It’ll be interesting if Curran is right about Johnny Football coming to town. Maybe they feel good about him.

Been saying for a while around here that the Patriots should call up Manziel if they miss it on one of the top 5 quarterbacks and here we are. I'd put him above everyone in this draft coming out and he's still a far better prospect than anyone you're getting on day 3, but I'll admit I have a perhaps irrational appreciation for Johnny Manziel the quarterback (if not the person).

Well I don't care what anybody says, we are going to kick the **** out of the whole SEC this year. :D

I found out about Key's problem last year. Told a few posters what I heard but didn't want to post it w/out real confirmation. Lots if issues.

I found out about Key's problem last year. Told a few posters what I heard but didn't want to post it w/out real confirmation. Lots if issues.

Out with Aldon Smith, in with Arden Key?

I sincerely hope it works out for everyone involved, but I'm surprised that they were willing to make this move, all things considered.

Out with Aldon Smith, in with Arden Key?

I sincerely hope it works out for everyone involved, but I'm surprised that they were willing to make this move, all things considered.

It's a big issue but it does offset an admittedly lesser one. Explains the weight gain if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes