Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which fans favourite Bubble Boys make the team?

• Richards

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Bolden

Votes: 48 88.9%
  • Grissom

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Grigsby

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • King

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • all of them

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolden isn't subject to waiver claims, AFAIK, and Grissom may not be anymore, either. If that's the case, then Patricia or Vrabel would need to make them "an offer they can't refuse."

Of the loved ones only Bolden is FA if cut (4 accr. seasons). Grissom, Richards, Cyrus, Grigsby, Tye, Langi and younger go to waivers. I don't think “offers they cannot refuse“ would be a problem if others want them though..

Pleasant, M.Flowers, Gillislee etc would be FAs too.
____

btw - unless he suddenly blossoms . id be surprised they keep Decker on current contract (475.000 roster bonus + 60.000/week salary). If he connects somewhat with Brady in next couple of weeks they could cut him and bring him back after they put guys to IR-R on a 4 games solid guarantees and the rest open.

I still feel we kick the tires on Dez or a Josh Gordon trade.
We need some firepower.
No thanks to Bryant.

I'm all in favor of Gordon, although I think it's too late for that.

Only White, Hogan, and Patterson have more catches than Lucien (Edelman has the same). Lucien's almost 18 ypc is by far the preseason best on the team. He should get a chance to play with the ones in game 3. Unless, of course, Bill is trying to stash him.

What is your obsession with Lucien ? He is the definition of a practice squad player. Looks serviceable against 2s and 3s but does nothing well enough to run with the 1s.

Bill is not trying to stash him. He will be cut in 3 weeks.

What is your obsession with Lucien ? He is the definition of a practice squad player. Looks serviceable against 2s and 3s but does nothing well enough to run with the 1s.

Bill is not trying to stash him. He will be cut in 3 weeks.
It's more I'm not a fan of Britt. Still waiting to see him show anything that justifies his presence.

It's more I'm not a fan of Britt. Still waiting to see him show anything that justifies his presence.

Oh I am with you on that. I have no idea what to expect from Britt but I find it intriguing that the staff has been carrying him through his hamstring issues. He must have left a really good impression during OTAs.

I just don't see any indication of Lucien being in any long term plans with the way he has been used in the public practices AND preseason games so far.

and finally to the unit nobody cares to report on . and will play significant part of quite a few roster designations - Special Teams.

Here are the 4 top units from 2nd preseason game:

@KO

AJ Moore--JMC-JC Jackson-Sam-Bolden-#3-Richards-Grigsby-Grissom-King--Wiltz

@P

Pleasant--King-Sam-Grissom--Cardona--Develin-Grigsby-Bolden--AJ Moore
Richards - #6​

@PR

Wiltz(+Pleasant)--King-Sam-Richards-Grissom-Grigsby-Bolden-Pleasant--JC Jackson
Chung - McCarron

@KR

not enough tape for clear line-up: Develin and AJ Moore as McCarron's protectors
Richards and King (or Bolden?) as second nearest (one from each side)
Grissom, Grigsby, Sam + Hogan

In the second half Crossen, Lee, Travis, Tye, Izzo, Poggi and Lucien as KR also came in.
____

comments:

JMC didn't look too comfortable when out there.

Wiltz, JC Jackson, AJ Moore and Pleasant didn't make much impact outside as gunners and blocking opponent's gunners. At one point Chung had to come in for PR too give McCarron some chance to return since the above group couldn't block PHI gunners.

Most impactful ST players over 2 games were Richards, Grissom and Bolden with King and Grigsby offering solid standard. Sam was novice, not too bad, Crossen was solid on limited snaps with one flashy play.

Remember that Pats are returning two of their top gunners from last yr in JJ and Slater (if he is healthy to start the season). In their absence Patterson and Crossen were #1-2 gunners in early practice. It will be interesting to see if they enter the mix in game 3.

Also, Ebner is slowly coming back as the dawg.

It will be interesting to see if some of the new guys can step up and take the job from core STers. So far it doesn't look like it. The same goes for anticipated Richards-Pleasant battle. They play different positions but hard to see Pleasant overtaking top gunners unless Slater is not ready and Patterson and Crossen somehow don't enter the mix..

It will be interesting to see if some of the new guys can step up and take the job from core STers. So far it doesn't look like it. The same goes for anticipated Richards-Pleasant battle. They play different positions but hard to see Pleasant overtaking top gunners unless Slater is not ready and Patterson and Crossen somehow don't enter the mix..

Yeah I am less convinced than a week ago that Pleasant will beat out Richards. At this point the most reasonable scenario for Richards off the team would be someone like Sam being able to replicate his usage. But at this point I dont see it happening.

I think Richards will be on the roster.

Yeah I am less convinced than a week ago that Pleasant will beat out Richards. At this point the most reasonable scenario for Richards off the team would be someone like Sam being able to replicate his usage. But at this point I dont see it happening.

I think Richards will be on the roster.

Sam is not playing same ST positions as Richards, he can't replace him directly. Used more like Grissom, Grigsby (or Langi, Marsh, KVN last yr).

Sam is not playing same ST positions as Richards, he can't replace him directly. Used more like Grissom, Grigsby (or Langi, Marsh, KVN last yr).

Yeah I assumed he would not be the protector if Richards is out there at the same time. That makes me wonder do you have any notes who had that job before Richards ? Do we know who his backup is ?

Yeah I assumed he would not be the protector if Richards is out there at the same time. That makes me wonder do you have any notes who had that job before Richards ? Do we know who his backup is ?

Ebner (not the backup though). But its not that simple (Ebner taking out Richards). There are other IQ jobs (if you dont mind me saying so) on ST and they share (together with Slater)

EDIT: As you could see these units don't look good at the moment. BB will not allow this. He brought Bademosi, Grigsby, Marsh (in part) and M.Flowers after TC last yr . giving plenty of draft picks away to solidify the unit..

Last edited:
No thanks to Bryant.

Both will be playing in Cleveland

At one point Chung had to come in for PR too give McCarron some chance to return since the above group couldn't block PHI gunners.

Explains why McCarron was fair-catching a lot. Smart move by McCarron.

Ebner (not the backup though). But its not that simple (Ebner taking out Richards). There are other IQ jobs (if you dont mind me saying so) on ST and they share (together with Slater)

EDIT: As you could see these units don't look good at the moment. BB will not allow this. He brought Bademosi, Grigsby, Marsh (in part) and M.Flowers after TC last yr . giving plenty of draft picks away to solidify the unit..

For comparison:

TOP special-teamers in 2017 (snap counts/game available):

4 Units (probably)
Ebner - 21.3 (for 8 games, ACL)
Richards - 19.3
Grissom - 19.1 (for 8 games, on/off roster)
King - 18.2 (for 13 games, hammy)
Jon Jones - 18.1
Bademosi - 18.0

3 or 4 Units
Bolden - 16.9
Marsh - 16.7

3 Units
Grigsby - 15.8 (for 5 games)
Reilly - 15.7 (for 6 games)
Slater - 14.0 (for 9 games, hammy)

2 or 3 Units
M.Flowers - 13.1
Hollister - 12.5

2 Units
Develin - 10.5
Guy - 10.4
Burkhead - 10.2
Chung - 9.1 (significantly below previous seasons)

1-2 Units
DMac - 6.9 (significantly below previous seasons)
A. Branch - 8.8 (12 games)

Players in gray are no longer with the Pats.

If Jon Jones and/or Hollister are elevated to larger roles in scrimmage play, their ST snaps may decline a bit. If Slater is healthy his ST snaps may increase a bit (back to 4 units). I'd project DMac's and Chung's ST snaps to stay the same or decline a bit further.

Why the heck do people STILL think Brandon Bolden is a bubble guy? He's about as safe on this roster as it's possible for a special teams guy to be.

Fans radically underestimate how much BB cares about his special teams players. Until proven otherwise, guys aren't on the bubble JUST because they're special teams roleplayers first and foremost (Bolden/Ebner/Slater).

I tell you what, we really felt the loss of those guys in the Superbowl. People rag on the secondary, but special teams play had a couple serious hiccups as well IIRC, and it was because we were missing some key pieces of the special teams puzzle.

One thing for certain, these guys aren't "on the bubble" until BB is confident that he can replace them in house. Honestly doubt that's the case, no matter how many grass-is-greener binkies fans may have on the preseason roster.

I still feel we kick the tires on Dez or a Josh Gordon trade.
We need some firepower.
Gordon hasn’t even reported for the season yet.

No thanks to Bryant.

The dude has played in a total of ten games since the end of the 2013 season. When he plays he’s a force, but he’s battling some real demons to be throwing everything away like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News